[SOLVED] How do I install wireless drivers for TL-WN727N?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Re: How do I install wireless drivers for TL-WN727N?

Post#16 by roadie » 17 Jan 2016, 19:00

killermenpl wrote:

@aus9 If you could tell me exactly what you are talking about and how to do it I'm willing to try it. It's not like it's hard to get porteus installed again in case something goes wrong.

I imagine aus9 is referring to Porteus Nemesis....it's based on Arch rather than Slackware.

http://forum.porteus.org/viewforum.php?f=137

If you don't mind a different distro, it might be the answer, though there other ways if you prefer Slackware.

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#17 by donald » 17 Jan 2016, 19:19

@ killermenpl
Hmmm...
The 3.1 version of porteus i have is KDE.(imho this shouldn't make a difference)
(your wifi dongle should be unplugged)
booted KDE in "always fresh" mode, login=root and compiled the driver once more;
after the build:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~/Downloads/mt7601-master/src# make install
make -C /root/Downloads/mt7601-master/src/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Downloads/mt7601-master/src/os/linux'
rm -rf /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
cp /root/Downloads/mt7601-master/src/RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/.
install -d /lib/modules/3.17.4-porteus/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
install -m 644 -c mt7601Usta.ko /lib/modules/3.17.4-porteus/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
/sbin/depmod -a 3.17.4-porteus
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Downloads/mt7601-master/src/os/linux'
root@porteus:~/Downloads/mt7601-master/src# modprobe mt7601Usta
root@porteus:~/Downloads/mt7601-master/src# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
mt7601Usta            401600  0 
powernow_k8             7740  0 
bnep                    5908  2 
.....snip....
no modprobe error and lsmod shows that the module is inserted.
(but i don't know if it's working because i do not own this wifi dongle)

killermenpl
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#18 by killermenpl » 17 Jan 2016, 19:21

I'll try it tomorrow. What are the differences between reular Porteus and Nemesis? I've noticed it doesn't have XFCE. Is it possible to add it later or am I stuck with KDE?

I've been searching the Internet and I found out that linux kernel v4 and up supports it by default. Is there any way to update the kernel to v4? Or does the nemesis already use it?

edit:
@donald it was unpluged. I will try tomorrow with always fresh.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#19 by roadie » 17 Jan 2016, 19:34

killermenpl wrote:I'll try it tomorrow. What are the differences between reular Porteus and Nemesis? I've noticed it doesn't have XFCE. Is it possible to add it later or am I stuck with KDE?

I've been searching the Internet and I found out that linux kernel v4 and up supports it by default. Is there any way to update the kernel to v4? Or does the nemesis already use it?

edit:
@donald it was unpluged. I will try tomorrow with always fresh.
Currently, Nemesis is available only in Lxde and Kde....you can build your own Xfce without a lot of difficulty, I did.

As far as the difference between regular Porteus and Nemesis, Nemesis is Arch based, so different ( better ) package manager, different (goofy) file structure....but does the same things Slackware does.

I just checked, and I don't have that driver in kernel 4.3.3, rather there is mt7601u....whether it will work I don't know.

Nemesis is using kernel 4.33....you could compile the same for Slackware Porteus, though there is a work around.

killermenpl
White ninja
White ninja

Post#20 by killermenpl » 17 Jan 2016, 19:42

Ok then. I will instal nemesis tommorow and then I will report any progress.

aus9

Post#21 by aus9 » 18 Jan 2016, 00:16

@aus9 If you could tell me exactly what you are talking about and how to do it I'm willing to try it. It's not like it's hard to get porteus installed again in case something goes wrong.
Sure let me try again.

Some kernels such as old kernels do not have support for your dongle and so you need to download the driver
compile and install it.....and it may also need firmware in compiling which also has to be installed.

my quote box says that there is a new kernel module in more recent kernels from series v 4.2 or higher and the kernel module name has changed from what donald and myself had previously written......and the name of the module already included in v 4.2 or higher is
mt7601u
The mt is an abbreviation of mediatek which is a chipset maker that may have taken over that Ralink ?

Now I offered previously 2 choices.....either with the Porteus/Slackware you install the neko kernel or you try a download of Nemesis.

As I am on Nemesis at I type here is that location of brokenman's kernel module

sudo find / -name mt7601u
[sudo] password for guest: 
/mnt/live/memory/images/000-kernel.xzm/usr/lib/modules/4.3.3-porteus/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt7601u
/usr/lib/modules/4.3.3-porteus/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt7601u
If you were to download umm the 64 bit distro of Nemesis and reboot with dongle already inserted the module should autoload and showup in lsmod command or you can load it manually if it does not.

Now does new kernel need firmware?
I use a 64 bit distro and looking at /usr/lib/firmware I can see NO mediatek dir and no firmware at the root of that foldername
I could be wrong but I am suggesting move to 4.2 or higher kernel and your problems should dissolve because you won't need to compile anything

neko
neko has provided updated kernels for those who still prefer to stay with Porteus/Slackware
I have not tried it myself but many have and the page to read starts here
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4788&hilit=upkernel4.3

edit 1
But I have not asked or looked at neko's config file to see if he has built that module name in the quote box into his kernel
edit 2
At first glance neko kernel has same config as Official Porteus so unlikely to have new module compiled so Nemesis might be the answer after all?
I have posted to link to confirm his config

Is that clearer?

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#22 by neko » 18 Jan 2016, 04:58

Porteus 32bit kernel was updated by upkernel4.3 command in upkernel-4.3.3-noarch-1.xzm.
'find' command was perform as follow.

% su
# find /lib -name mt7601u
/lib/modules/4.3.3-porteus/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/mediatek/mt7601u
thanks.

aus9

Post#23 by aus9 » 18 Jan 2016, 05:13

@neko
that is great news for OP

so I won't edit my earlier reply but wish to thank you for taking time away from your busy schedule to alert OP that your 32 bit kernel already has the new correct module for his hardware.

Whether he understands that and now does not need to download Nemesis is up to him to reply. I am not trying to insult him but not sure if he understands we care about him and your kernel will allow him to stay with Porteus/Slackware.

I note that the pathway may differ but the OP can still load it manually on Slackware if he needs to by

su
(input pw=toor)
modprobe mt7601u
Once again thanks neko for quick reply

killermenpl
White ninja
White ninja

Post#24 by killermenpl » 18 Jan 2016, 09:59

I did a clean install of porteus and updated kernel to 4.3.3. I had to run modprobe but now it works perfectly. :Yahoo!: I'm writing this from Porteus. :D I didn't try nemesis, as it looks to me to be still in beta. I just don't want to have to deal with any bugs that come with it. Thanks to everyone who helped, or at least tryed to. Now I just have to install a few modules and I'll have a linux everywhere I go :D

aus9

Post#25 by aus9 » 18 Jan 2016, 10:07

Hi

just to be clear....you have wireless working ?

killermenpl
White ninja
White ninja

Post#26 by killermenpl » 18 Jan 2016, 10:15

Yes it works. Even better than on Windows

aus9

Re: [SOLVED] How do I install wireless drivers for TL-WN727N

Post#27 by aus9 » 18 Jan 2016, 10:54

GOOD next time something is solved edit your first post and it gives you access to the subject line.

The subject sometimes has to be truncated to add [SOLVED]. I have done it for you to show how it might look

cheers

edit

OOPS forgot to mention if you rebooted with dongle and had to manually load module you can auttomate that. One method is to use /etc/rc.local
use root powers to add the following line

/sbin/modprobe mt7601u

full reboot to check if the lsmod command now shows it