Stream music (.acc, pls, http) with VLC (solved)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
tmq
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: xfce

Stream music (.acc, pls, http) with VLC (solved)

Post#1 by tmq » 29 Dec 2015, 06:09

I am new to Porteus and I'm trying to find a way to stream all my favorite internet stations through my media player. On my desktop / laptop, Fedora based & debian based respectively, I use any number of programs: radiotray, quod libet, clementine, and even VLC. So far, I've been unable to get any of these to work quite right on Porteus (xfce, 32b).

Radiotray & quod libet wouldn't start, clementine started wouldn't play the test streams, and VLC started & played, but it also caused my system to throw some graphics oriented errors during the boot sequence. Then, the desktop featured the default wallpaper - not my chosen one! Is one version of VLC better to download via USM than the others (I think I saw three different versions)?? Most recently, I downloaded the slack package for deadbeef and installed it though USM; it won't start (although I haven't saved & rebooted yet).

Any ideas? I really do like my music...
Last edited by tmq on 30 Dec 2015, 00:21, edited 2 times in total.

aus9

Re: Stream music (VLC?)

Post#2 by aus9 » 29 Dec 2015, 13:03

I use Nemesis rather than Slackware based Porteus.

For any media streaming you need to consider at least 3 things

1 you can play local sounds loud enough to know if streaming is working
2 No firewall stops a certain app from accessing the internet stream
3 No software setting stops an app from using the internet stream

For VLC you need to consider making some changes so if the stream accesses htpps your VLC plays it as it recognises it.
eg section 5 of my Nem tut for vlc
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5304

should resolve the certificate issue.

VLC also has various outputs for audio and video so you may need to set the audio to use pulseaudio if you have set up PA correctly
Once again...play a local sound first before trying to stream.

tmq
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by tmq » 29 Dec 2015, 20:45

aus9 wrote:Once again...play a local sound first before trying to stream.
I can indeed play local sounds - I played music from a local hd with another player. VLC appears to stream (I tested a couple stations), but the unusual graphics problems in Porteus led me to seek a solution. I am now wondering if one VLC package is better than another. Or perhaps I need certain back-ends to allow streaming through Clementine for example.

Edit: vlc-2.2.1-i486-1alien.txz seems to mostly work in cli. I'm still interested in getting a gui and open to input.

Edit II: At this juncture it appears that if you add the qt-4.8.5-i486-2.xzm module from the VLC-qt package to the modules one gets when you download VLC-aLien.txz (mentioned above), the gui will run. I will post back if there is a problem.
Last edited by tmq on 30 Dec 2015, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

aus9

Post#4 by aus9 » 29 Dec 2015, 23:39

graphic issues while playing VLC or just in general?

if vlc related then you need to look at your graphics driver and get the Video Accelerated (VA) driver for your graphics card. You can use USM to search your graphiics card for a better driver

tmq
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by tmq » 30 Dec 2015, 00:21

aus9 wrote:graphic issues while playing VLC or just in general?
It only occurred when I used certain dependencies linked to VLC. I used a different set of modules and got a better result (see above)!