Adobe Flash update Firefox

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Adobe Flash update Firefox

Post#1 by wacojohn » 15 Sep 2015, 20:24

Using current ver of Porteus-32 and Firefox. Was getting FF warnings that Flash was outdated. Found the following with a thread search:
1. From https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ downloaded package for Linux 32-bit named install_flash_player_11_linux.x86.tar.gz.
Firefox saved it to Downloads folder.
2. I was logged in as root from the start, so I didn't have to run console as superuser.
In console type

Code: Select all
tar -C /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins -xzf Downloads/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86.tar.gz
and I implemented it with 32-bit code. Seemed to process (I am new at this), and FF now does not give the warning ... but YOUTUBE etc shows clips as follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9pyqz7v9vhoo ... M.png?dl=0

Help is appreciated in advance.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Adobe Flash update Firefox

Post#2 by Ed_P » 16 Sep 2015, 00:15

I use USM to find and download current Flash updates. Download and choose the create a module option then copy the module (.xzm) file to your modules folder. Then right click on it and Activate it.
Ed

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by wacojohn » 16 Sep 2015, 02:17

Ed_P wrote:I use USM to find and download current Flash updates. Download and choose the create a module option then copy the module (.xzm) file to your modules folder. Then right click on it and Activate it.
Ahhh that it should be so simple. Update All completed. Searched for 'flash', 'flashplayer', 'adobe' .... no hits.

Figured maybe it is because I already did an install (of sorts). Dunno. To make matters worse, .. don't know how to uninstall what I did install. There is a readme that says:
Installing using the plugin tar.gz:
o Unpack the plugin tar.gz and copy the files to the appropriate location.
o Save the plugin tar.gz locally and note the location the file was saved to.
o Launch terminal and change directories to the location the file was saved to.
o Unpack the tar.gz file. Once unpacked you will see the following:
+ libflashplayer.so
+ /usr
o Identify the location of the browser plugins directory, based on your Linux distribution and Firefox version
o Copy libflashplayer.so to the appropriate browser plugins directory. At the prompt type:
+ cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation>
o Copy the Flash Player Local Settings configurations files to the /usr directory. At the prompt type:
+ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr

Uninstallation instructions
---------------------------

Manual uninstallation (for users who installed the plugin via Install script):
o Delete libflashplayer.so binary and flashplayer.xpt file in
directory /home/<user>/.mozilla/plugins/
It actually may not matter. I am about to grab Porteus CD and install completely anew. I think I have it botched up a bit. Guess I should mark the thread as solved(??)

Thank you for your attention.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 16 Sep 2015, 04:05

wacojohn wrote:Ahhh that it should be so simple. Update All completed. Searched for 'flash', 'flashplayer', 'adobe' .... no hits.
I suspect you didn't use USM because this is what I see:

You want to select the 2nd one.
Ed

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#5 by wacojohn » 16 Sep 2015, 14:26

Yes Sir, I did use USM. Did UPDATE ALL and searched for 'flash', but got no hits. Tried again today after your reply, and got pretty much what your screenshot presented. Followed your instructions and it seemed to complete successfully. Gleefully went to youtube.com and alas, same problem ... blank white player frame.

I surmised it may be my misstep in installing the first time ... which has not been 'undone' ... AND/OR this:

USM indicates some kind of attention is needed for FF, but I don't know how to interpret the screen shot ... what to employ and what not.

Another solution may be to uninstall/reinstall FF, but not sure how to go about that either. Finally, start from scratch and install Porteus anew.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 16 Sep 2015, 17:50

wacojohn wrote:Yes Sir, I did use USM. Did UPDATE ALL and searched for 'flash', but got no hits.
A shortcoming of USM, once Updated you have to exit USM and restart it for it to see the updates.
Tried again today after your reply, and got pretty much what your screenshot presented. Followed your instructions and it seemed to complete successfully. Gleefully went to youtube.com and alas, same problem ... blank white player frame.
Did you use a current version? I usually use the alien version. Try a different source.
USM indicates some kind of attention is needed for FF, but I don't know how to interpret the screen shot ... what to employ and what not.
The screen simply shows what's available for down loading. You could try a newer version by selecting on of the top entries.
Another solution may be to uninstall/reinstall FF, but not sure how to go about that either. Finally, start from scratch and install Porteus anew.
Ah, the advantage of a "live" system. You don't have to install or uninstall some apps. Firefox is one of them. Download a newer version, make it a module, add it to your modules folder and activate it. That's it.
Ed

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#7 by tome » 16 Sep 2015, 19:47

Try this from terminal:

mkdir -p /tmp/firefox-test
firefox --new-instance --profile /tmp/firefox-test about:plugins
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#8 by wacojohn » 17 Sep 2015, 12:38

Thank you for the reply.
A shortcoming of USM, once Updated you have to exit USM and restart it for it to see the updates.
Shortcoming indeed. I realized a restart seemed to solve the problem, but thought I had some system corruption or something. Thank you for the clarification. Funny how 3 words could 'change the world'. After UPDATE ALL, the window says "you may now close this window". Seems a nice enhancement (for noobs at least) would be to add "and restart USM'. I will bring this up at the next board meeting. :good:

On to more important things. Noob confusion w/ USM. 5 objectives.
  • undo the first install of flash where I did not use USM
    uninstall the USM install of flash player
    uninstall Firefox
    install Firefox anew and update it as appropriate
    USM install the correct flash player
The problem is interpreting USM. The options seem confusing.

From this I see 2 likely concerns re: FF .. the 2nd and third items .. a newer 486 version 40888K and an installed/downgradeable 486 version 23352K respectively but from different repositories. Oh, what to do, what to do?

From this, I see only one logical choice ... and it IS INSTALLED.

So, am trying to figure out how to get from here to the objectives. Logically, it would be to uninstall the installed flash player. Uninstall the installed FF. Install the correct FF. Install the correct Flash player. As for the misstep in installing the FP from outside USM ... I have no idea. Guess it could stay wherever it resides.

So, before blowing way the only installed Browser, thought I would check with you on what steps to take.

Thank you for your indulgence ... and I apologize for complicating something that is probably quite simple. I have lived my life doing that. :P

ps: why are my screenshots so small? I am using the very nice feature provided by Porteus whereby the shot is hosted @ ZimageZ. Is there a better way??

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#9 by Bogomips » 17 Sep 2015, 14:41

wacojohn wrote:ps: why are my screenshots so small?
Click on them to enlarge :wink:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Ed_P » 17 Sep 2015, 18:39

wacojohn wrote:After UPDATE ALL, the window says "you may now close this window". Seems a nice enhancement (for noobs at least) would be to add "and restart USM'. I will bring this up at the next board meeting. :good:
You got my vote.
On to more important things. Noob confusion w/ USM. 5 objectives.
  • undo the first install of flash where I did not use USM
    uninstall the USM install of flash player
    uninstall Firefox
    install Firefox anew and update it as appropriate
    USM install the correct flash player
1. Don't remember/know how you did the first "install" but yes removing ii seems like a good idea.
2. Easy. Find the mnt/sd**/porteus/modules folder, or wherever else you saved the .xzm file, and deactive the fireplayer module then delete it.
3. Easy but I'm not sure necessary. Look in the /mnt/sd**/porteus/base, or modules/ folder, deactivate it.
4. Difficult, if you're following this sequence. But if you're doing this prior to # 3. select the current module from USM and download it. Then do the actions in # 3 followed by moving the new .xzm file to the replacement folder and activate it.

IF you delete the original FireFox module you loose it's Porteus settings. Better to simply active the new version over the original one.

5. Easy. Use USM, download a current version, for Firefox, store it with the other modules you are saving, activate it.
So, before blowing way the only installed Browser, thought I would check with you on what steps to take.
A reasonable and smart approach. I use it frequently, unfortunately not often enough sometimes. :oops:
ps: why are my screenshots so small? I am using the very nice feature provided by Porteus whereby the shot is hosted @ ZimageZ. Is there a better way??
If they fall within some forum standard size they display otherwise the icon link option is used as Bogomips noted.
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#11 by Rava » 21 Sep 2015, 23:59

Lazy me has not yet reached his goal when it comes to my firefox variant - that is: palemoon.

Up to now I do a manual xzm2dir of the old palemoon+flash module, then copy the new palemoon directory (minus the US-dictionary, since I use the GB one) plus copy the flash aka /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so on a x86-64 Porteus, and dir2xzm into a new module.

Reasons I fail at making a working and failsafe: Incorporating the version and timestamp aka YYYY-MM-DD of the flash player and the version of Palemoon into the name of the new .pBuild script.

I know, sounds like not much to do, still I not manage to create it, starting from the last versions of the pBuilds for flash and firefox. :oops:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#12 by wacojohn » 20 Oct 2015, 15:26

Still not getting flash to work in Firefox. Youtube etc simply presents a blank/white player frame.

Any ideas??

# Modules activated during boot time:
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/000-kernel.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/001-core.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/001-core_alldesktops-150124.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/002-xorg.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/002-xorg_alldesktops-150126.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/003-xfce.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/004-xfce_fixes-150124.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/0099-settings.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/base/04-firefox.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/modules/boinc-7.2.42.i686.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/modules/flashplayer-plugin-11.2.202.540-i386-1alien.xzm
/mnt/sda1/porteus/modules/nVidia-304.123-porteus-v3.1-i486-1ftm.xzm

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by Rava » 20 Oct 2015, 21:23

wacojohn wrote:Still not getting flash to work in Firefox. Youtube etc simply presents a blank/white player frame.
Any ideas??
I have a full x86-64 system, there have been issues with the path, lib or lib64 in earlier versions of either Ffx or Flash...
My relevant setup won't help you any, since the core is self made:

004-palemoon-25.7.0+flashplayer_11.2.202.508_2015-08-07_en_x86-64.xzm
Palemoon is a more slim Ffx variant and I recommend it...

Do you, by any chance, have plugins like NoScript running? Cause you need to enable JavaScript quite some subpages to have youtube or other streaming sites to run. Your issue sounds like that...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

wacojohn
Samurai
Samurai

Post#14 by wacojohn » 21 Oct 2015, 01:40

Thank you, Rava for the reply. I have a few extenstions but none which curtail java script.

ABOUT:PLUGINS
lists the followin:

Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
Version: 11.2.202.540
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

MIME Type Description Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl

so looks to me like it is installed. I hope someone knows the answer. Thank you again.

ps: I know nothing of PALEMOON ..... not even what it is.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#15 by Rava » 21 Oct 2015, 06:40

Try deactivating FutureSplash Player and restart your FFx, and try again.

So,Flash and FutureSplash are the only plugins / addons you have? Non other installed, not even one in the tab "appearance"?

About Palemoon, it's a Firefox variant, but they cut out all the recent bloat code, it looks like a V3.6 or V24 Firefox, prior the code getting more and more bloated. And they make updates to include all security updates from the official Mozilla FFx. :)
It's able to run almost all plugins / addons, but it's more slim, needs less RAM and less CPU that a current FFx.

Look it up on wikipedia Pale Moon (web browser) , and also look into it on its own page: http://www.palemoon.org/
Cheers!
Yours Rava