Downloading and installing Truecrypt (step by step)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: Downloading and installing Truecrypt (step by step)

Post#16 by Rava » 26 Aug 2015, 20:12

zander wrote:so does veracrypt has similar issues, the que is, whats more secure
veracrypt vs truecrypt
With the truecrypt clones, it is not just about which is more secure. It seems, at least tc is secure when you run it either on MacOS or Linux.

The issue with veracrypt and such is that they break the tc licence, and if someone gets the rights to tc, all hell would break loose. They could forbid the use of any unlicensed tc clone. And if you get into issue using them and the original tc is not able to handle the clone encrypted data, then you are kinda screwed...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

KnallKopf
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 64bit KDE4

Post#17 by KnallKopf » 27 Aug 2015, 19:37

It is a littlebit offtopic but,
what can I expect from VeraCrypt ?
when the theorie about TrueCrypt are right,
that the TrueCrypt developer get an NSL from USA Goverment and stop working.
Then smell VeraCrypt for me at NSA-front-company.

How is it possible that VeraCrypt use code from TrueCrypt ?
I was thinking that TrueCrypt have no free licence and it is not public who the developer are.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#18 by Rava » 27 Aug 2015, 21:19

KnallKopf wrote: How is it possible that VeraCrypt use code from TrueCrypt ?
I was thinking that TrueCrypt have no free licence and it is not public who the developer are.
Using code is easy: the code was put into the public, even when TrueCrypt not has a free / open licence. Therefore TrueCrypt forks can use the original code. Or do a code audit. (See my post http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 945#p36247 above)

Any forks of TrueCrypt will be open source; and so, any forks can be code-audited just as TrueCrypt was. So, the possibility that VeraCrypt or others are a NSA frontend is quite minimal.

I mean, honestly, just read documentation of nmap. All the large USA security agencies use nmap, cause they are not able to create an own software that complex and capable. Even when usually they not admit that.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#19 by Bogomips » 01 Sep 2015, 21:54

Rava wrote:
Bogomips wrote:@ Bogomips
Since when need TrueCrypt systemd ?

truecrypt-1:7.1a-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz.html > device-mapper > systemd
Sometimes, a named dependency still is not obligatory as in: program won't run without it...

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# activate tru_310815.xzm	# truecrypt
Updating shared library links:  /sbin/ldconfig
Updating KDE menu: kbuildsycoca4

guest@porteus:~$ file /usr/bin/truecrypt
/usr/bin/truecrypt: ELF 32-bit LSB  executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), BuildID[sha1]=63a7ed7559bfae4b806a234abdd42c8f5703e94f, stripped

guest@porteus:~$ ldd /usr/bin/truecrypt | grep not
/usr/bin/truecrypt: /lib/liblzma.so.5: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.5)

guest@porteus:~$ file /lib/liblzma.so.5
/lib/liblzma.so.5: symbolic link to `liblzma.so.5.0.5' 
guest@porteus:~$ file /lib/liblzma.so.5.0.5
/lib/liblzma.so.5.0.5: ELF 32-bit LSB  shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (
Program will not run without versioned library.

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/home/guest# deactivate tru_310815.xzm	# truecrypt

root@porteus:/home/guest# activate syd_310815.xzm	# systemd
root@porteus:/home/guest# activate tru_310815.xzm	# truecrypt

guest@porteus:~$ ldd /usr/bin/truecrypt | grep not
Program now runs.

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues
Rava wrote:It is years ago I last used truecrypt. Even when it is officially no longer supported, I saw no article anywhere that I can recall that tc has severe security issues.

Maybe some folks *cough*NSA*cough* just were not pleased cause they could not access truecrypted containers as they wanted and the ones developing it were ... threatened "convinced" to drop the project...

I know of only one issue with a criminal, and the federal police not being able to crack his encrypted container or encrypted file system... even after trying for at least 6 month.
Red warning says program is not secure, but it is not from viewpoint that it may crash or leave one with something that cannot be decrypted, but rather it is to do with security issues, the way I read it. The confirmation for this viewpoint being inability of authorities to crack encrypted container/filesystem after six moths of trying. So, in my book this is pretty secure. Having encryption defying decryption for six months, would probably satisfy most people.

So as long as there is no case in which truecrypt cannot decrypt the container/filesytem it has encrypted, one would say: Go for It! :evil:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#20 by Rava » 01 Sep 2015, 22:27

Bogomips wrote:Red warning says program is not secure, but it is not from viewpoint that it may crash or leave one with something that cannot be decrypted, but rather it is to do with security issues, the way I read it. The confirmation for this viewpoint being inability of authorities to crack encrypted container/filesystem after six moths of trying. So, in my book this is pretty secure. Having encryption defying decryption for six months, would probably satisfy most people.

So as long as there is no case in which truecrypt cannot decrypt the container/filesytem it has encrypted, one would say: Go for It! :evil:
Especially considering the code audit, as quoted in my post on the last page. http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 945#p36247

Like I said, it seems authorities are not pleased cause tc is too secure for them, and so, they try to destroy its credibility... If the cover story would be true, the code audit would have found real security issues, now, would it not? :)
Cheers!
Yours Rava