How to dual boot windows and custom Porteus?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
RaidenKaiser
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Debian

How to dual boot windows and custom Porteus?

Post#1 by RaidenKaiser » 07 Aug 2015, 05:41

I kinda have an issue I am used to Debian and OpenSuse that would have an installer included with linux and would auto detect and install alongside windows. How do I find the installer for the custom Porteus I made (already found it >< sorry i am half asleep) and where do I turn to learn how to install porteus without breaking windows 7 ultimate or windows 10 home?

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: How to dual boot windows and custom Porteus?

Post#2 by Bogomips » 07 Aug 2015, 11:01

^Please see recent threads on this in this Newbies section.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: How to dual boot windows and custom Porteus?

Post#3 by brokenman » 08 Aug 2015, 20:37

RaidenKaiser this question is a little deeper than you might imagine.

For windows 7 I would recommend using one of those programs that customize your windows boot loader. From memory there is one called 'EasyBCD'. This will allow you to just copy your porteus installation onto a partition somewhere and then install EasyBCD and edit the windows bootloader within the safety of windows.

For windows 8 it gets more complicated. Since the machine could possibly be UEFI you may need to make changes in the UEFI/Bios section of the system before anything will work. With more information about your setup it may be a little easier to give more information, but please consider thoroughly searching the forum before asking. Thanks.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.