Please send my compliments to the chef

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Edgregious
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.1

Please send my compliments to the chef

Post#1 by Edgregious » 19 Jul 2015, 02:15

I apologize for being so presumptuous as to offer my unsolicited opinion, but PORTEUS is AWESOME! :Yahoo!:

LXLE breathed some new life into a few XP boxes, but on an IBM T60 with 1GB RAM, the machine still looked tired. After I put PORTEUS on the hard drive, it works like something out of StarTrek (well, not the original show - better than that :) )! I love the graphical program interfaces - with functional fine detail they look like alien technology - long live skeumorphism! Down with the flat paradigm! I mean, if people like absolutely flat looking interfaces that's their problem, but when they force them on me in some puritanical zeal that's my problem. :x

Small issue I am having: if I start too many things at once, some of them start hanging and shutting down. Am I possibly supposed to have created a swap partition? I am still wrapping my head around this OS that does not install thing. I wiped the disk first and created one ext4 partition. :unknown:

One other small annoyance is that on startup it logs on as guest before I can intervene, and since I want to be root I always have to change users. I remember that this can be changed at the custom build stage, but I have a feeling that should not be necessary.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Please send my compliments to the chef

Post#2 by Bogomips » 19 Jul 2015, 02:21

Edgregious wrote:Am I possibly supposed to have created a swap partition?
Helps.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#3 by francois » 19 Jul 2015, 02:47

on startup it logs on as guest
You can use the login=root cheatcode.

What bootloader do you use? If you use syslinux coming with the porteus installer you can modify the /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg file on the append line:

Code: Select all

APPEND initrd=initrd.xz ...   ... login=root
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Edgregious
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by Edgregious » 19 Jul 2015, 03:12

Bogomips wrote:
Edgregious wrote:Am I possibly supposed to have created a swap partition?
Helps.
Heh. Yes, it did. Thank you for the instant response!

Might you have an idea what the ~1G extended partition is, file type unknown, that appeared at the end of the disk since installation? Is this something the Porteus installer puts there? This, from GParted.

Edgregious
Ronin
Ronin

Post#5 by Edgregious » 19 Jul 2015, 03:48

francois wrote: on startup it logs on as guest
You can use the login=root cheatcode.
Thank you! Worked perfectly. After I found the correct line beginning "Append" . :)