Because it Rocks!

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Because it Rocks!

Post#1 by sean » 18 Jul 2015, 22:05

Friends, where can I download the latest stable Porteus 32 bit LXDE .iso? I realize this DE was bypassed in the last 2 Porteus releases, but I'm hoping anyway, that Porteus has retained an LXDE.iso of some sort.

As I'm constantly trying to convert folks and friends from Windoze to Linux, I feel this particular distro release will be helpful. Oh yes, by the way, I have been successful on several occasions, and I'm hoping to continue with this endeavor.

Thanks, with optimistic appreciation, suggestions also will be appreciated,

Sean

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Because it Rocks!

Post#2 by Bogomips » 18 Jul 2015, 22:09

Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by sean » 18 Jul 2015, 22:43

Thank you Bogomips,

Suppose I had a working Porteus on a 4 GiB thumb drive, but needed more room/storage space. How could I copy it to a 16 GiB thumb drive?

Again, many thanks for your help here, I've seen you help many others with Porteus. Many thumbs up to you !!!!!

Sean

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#4 by ncmprhnsbl » 18 Jul 2015, 23:12

if you want to try an unofficial porteus 3.1+ lxde version supplied by neko
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... =60#p35005
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by sean » 19 Jul 2015, 01:17

Hello ncmprhnsbl,

Nice to hear from you again also. I remember your contributions here from #!, great stuff! And I remember you helping me with other tasks, not forgotten.

As time permits I will be looking into all this information you have supplied along with that of Bogomips.

I'd like to have a Porteus thumb drive tweaked (configured) to fairly universally accepted DE, and be able to simply duplicate it on another thumb drive. So far my efforts to copy to a new thumb drive have not been successful. Like take a Porteus stick to someone's house, boot from their "Windoze" computer, show them Linux, wait for them to beg me for a copy :-), format one of their thumb drives, and duplicate (copy) my thumb drive so they also can enjoy the portability and power of Porteus!

If I'm overlooking something or have forgotten something, I apologize, but so far all my efforts in copying from one TD to another leaves me with the new one being un-bootable.

Success with this would help me immensely, I'm no expert with Linux, but I'm still trying to get friends and neighbors interested. Porteus is the absolute best method for me to do this.

Good to see ya,

Sean

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#6 by Ed_P » 19 Jul 2015, 02:49

sean,

After you copy the files to the new drive you need to execute the Porteus install that you copied, either Porteus-installer-for-Windows.exe or Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com, to make it bootable.
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#7 by francois » 19 Jul 2015, 02:59

From this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4817
Donald propose to turn you porteus installation to an .iso file and then copy the iso to the usb
1) create an iso of your system:
/mnt/sdXN/porteus/make_iso.sh
2) .dd method:
fdisk -l (to get to know the device occupied by the usb key)

Code: Select all

dd if=/path/to/iso/porteus-version.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M;sync
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by sean » 19 Jul 2015, 03:26

Wow,

A bunch of rescuers :-)

Thanks fellas, time for bed now, but I will look into your suggestions first thing in the morning.

Thank you, thank you,

Sean

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#9 by donald » 19 Jul 2015, 07:13

Hi all
The only method which does work is
dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY
and only do this from a small to a large(r) device.
all the other "solutions" wont let me log in as guest.I could only log in as root.
(stopped at the log in screen...Pw don't work...changed Pw for guest..nope, no login)
so what?
1.boot the original thumbdrive in copy2ram mode, to unlock the drive.
2.dd the drive onto the larger one
3.boot the new drive, login as guest or root and create an additional partition,so you
can use the leftover space on that drive.
or
boot the new drive in copy2ram mode and expand the existing partition to fill up the whole drive... 8)

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by sean » 19 Jul 2015, 15:40

@Ed_P, thanks for replying. I've tried this several times now and the system will boot, but parts are totally unresponsive.

@francois, thank you for replying also. Either "make_iso.sh" does not work on my system, or I am just too dumb to use it correctly. I find the instructions of syntax a bit frustrating for my skill level. Would you perhaps have an example of using it to say, place an *.iso in /home/user/ ?

In the meantime I have tried various flavors of these posted ideas, even changing the file system format. Ed's suggestion works for copying and setting the system to boot, but the lxpanel is simply unresponsive, it's there, but clicking on anything/icons results in nothing.

I have tried "dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY and then the finished product is unmountable.

At this point perhaps blue4meridian's message enlightens us ("However... if 'porteus.cfg' is altered you could end up with something else.") I need to view my 'porteus.cfg'.

And I'm simply looking for an efficient & quick way to advance or propagate a working Porteus USB thumb drive via duplication.

I have yet to investigate/try donald's suggestion and am somewhat apprehensive concerning how to go about his step #2. I guess I'll find out soon :-)

These many ways of accomplishing this goal certainly sound plausible. And I have yet to try the various "cloning" techniques, especially using Clonezilla.

Fella's thanks for your suggestions, Porteus has the absolute best user congregation! I shall keep at it! Thanks again to all who have replied to my request!

Sean

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#11 by Bogomips » 19 Jul 2015, 16:08

sean wrote: @francois, thank you for replying also. Either "make_iso.sh" does not work on my system, or I am just too dumb to use it correctly. I find the instructions of syntax a bit frustrating for my skill level. Would you perhaps have an example of using it to say, place an *.iso in /home/user/ ?
Use Iso Master gui, under Multimedia. It's as easy as pie. :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#12 by donald » 19 Jul 2015, 18:19

@ sean
Try it, just courage
I post this from within a successfully cloned thumb drive.
2GB ==> 8GB
==========================================================
==========================================================
porteus itself does not create isos in isohybrid format.
That's why simply dd-ing an iso onto a thumbdrive wont boot.
Furthermore dd-ing an (isohybrid) iso onto a drive will boot but
you won't be able to save any files to the drive because it's readonly.
(it will be in the iso9660 = CD format)

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#13 by francois » 19 Jul 2015, 18:35

See this (it seems so simple):
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... hdd-to-hdd

Code: Select all

cat /dev/sdx >/dev/sdy
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#14 by Ed_P » 19 Jul 2015, 19:02

francois wrote:(it seems so simple)
Yes, but does the copied device boot? I suspect not.
Ed

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#15 by sean » 19 Jul 2015, 20:14

Back in my OS/2 days (1994 - 2004) I had a friend, a smart friend :-), who worked with computers at his work. We became friends through my work, which put me in contact with him daily.

He skipped Windoze and went straight to OS/2, and I followed his every move. Eventually in 1997 I bought the identical hardware (Gateway-SCSI), took it to my friends house, where he installed his OS/2 onto my hardware. This was a long drive for 2 days in a row to do this then. But I ended up with a duplicate system, and living 100 miles apart we kept in contact, him sending me information on updates, upgrades, etc. on almost a daily basis via email.

In those days we each had 2 SCSI hard-drives of about 2.5 to 5 GiB (I still have the whole system in a storage bin, along with the original disks and license). We used the 2nd hard-drive only for a back-up purpose. The first hard-drive had 2 partitions, one for the OS and the second for "all" other programs and data.

This was in the transition period when storage was "just" starting to become reasonably priced. We were still paying a premium price, but things were beginning to look better.

He, being a rather smart fella, but not a risk taker, came up with a Zip command that would copy an entire hard-drive to one file on the 2nd hard-drive. (I still have that command in notes, "somewhere", :-) Granted, the entire process took some good amount of time, but in the end one felt pretty secure in knowing everything they would ever need was safely copied/stored in file on a separate hard-drive.

After using the command to make the zip file, we re-formatted the original hard-drive and then copied/opened the back-up zip file on it. This did 2 things, at that time, for us. It made a safe copy of our operating system (or more), and it de-fragmented the hard-drive, Wonderfully, I might add. Those were still the days when you could notice a speed change, and de-fragmented hard-drive made quite a difference.

But,............. I'm still working on duplicating a Porteus thumb drive. Does the fact that I can't seem to get the "make_iso.sh" to work have any implications? Does that particular file need updating of some sort? Has anybody else had success making an .iso of there system successfully? Actually this would be ideal, I could build a system, then duplicate it, copy it for others, and distribute it upon request.

Sean