*Solved* Install Not so Easy

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Gamer1
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 32-bit MATE

*Solved* Install Not so Easy

Post#1 by Gamer1 » 10 Mar 2015, 18:18

OK, I'm a noob when it comes to Linux sort to speak. I've been building and installing computer systems since 1991 and have setup Novell and Microsoft servers.

The problem..

I have some older workstations (win xp machines) that I want to install Porteus on to give them extended life as units that basically just surf The Internet. I want a "light weight" OS that is easy and can be installed from a CD (not DVD). After doing some reading Porteus sounded like a really good fit. I made the assumption that if it could be installed to a CD or USB drive it could also be installed on a desktop's hdd.

So, I made the boot CD. I booted Porteus and used Gparted to remove the windows partition(s). Seeing the nice "Install Porteus" icon I'm thinking "Sweet!". I start the process and the first speed bump is I need to make my partitions to install to. OK, not rocket science and the install allows me to launch Gparted to do the job. So I make an EXT4 primary and flag it to be "Boot" and I make a small linux-swap. Back to the install, do a refresh, there is my partition, I forge on. Next question involves needing a "bootloader" OK, if I need one so be it. check the box to include a bootloader. And away it goes copying files. I'm feeling pretty good about this installation. Not as smooth as it should have been so far, but nothing I couldn't do..

Now it's done copying files and I reboot. It spits the CD out, nice touch. I've installed some that make it a challenge to get the CD out while rebooting. And my computer starts the boot from HDD only to tell me there is no OS there.

That's a huge problem! I go online seeking the solution. Did I not follow the procedure for installation correctly? or are the install procedures a little lacking in explanation of what to do and what is going on? I find no help in the FAQs. I search this forum. I see some talk about doing some manual copying of files and bootloader config editing that I choose to ignore because that just should not be and I refuse to do it.

If the OS cannot be easily installed to the system hdd then it's not worth wasting my time on it. Even Windows will install to a hard drive by simply clicking next. To assume that no one is going to want to install the OS as the native OS on a workstation is just silly thinking.

Or did I just miss something really obvious? As you maybe can tell, I'm really frustrated right now. I've spent WAY TOO much time trying to get a simple OS to install on a computer. I actually tried on 2 different workstations with the exact same results. It's bad enough that this doesn't work as expected, but then for there to be no easy to find explanation on the website as to why it doesn't work or how to easily make it work. Well it miffed me enough to register in this forum and post this message.

So, if someone wants to give me the SIMPLE fix to my SIMPLE problem I'm willing to give it one last attempt before moving to Elementary OS which installed on the first workstation just as any noob might expect it too. huh..

-=[Gamer1]=-
Last edited by Gamer1 on 10 Mar 2015, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Gamer1
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 32-bit MATE

*Solved* Re: Install Not so Easy

Post#2 by Gamer1 » 10 Mar 2015, 19:07

OMG! While waiting for a response to my previous post I literally stumbled upon the solution. I decided to boot to CD and started poking around the files that were copied to my workstation's hard drive. In the root folder I noticed an install USB text file that hinted at a solution to my particular problem and ended by saying if this doesn't do it have a look at more extensive install instructions in the /boot/docs folder. I looked at the file and while it provided a bunch of manual hoopla about mounting and fdisking etc.. I found a section that explained how I needed to open a terminal, go to my copied files and in the /boot folder I should then run the install using Linux.com file. That did not work, but then it further explained that I needed to SU as root to run this file.

SOOOOOO....
First thing, that icon on the boot CD that says "Install Porteus" needs to be changed to "Copy install files to Boot Device". And the installation instructions need to point out that you can only install AFTER you have created the necessary partitions manually AND then copied the "install files" to the new "Boot Partition". Then you must boot from the CD, Use "Computer" to browse to the new Boot Device, boot partition and into the /boot folder of that. Now right click and select to open a terminal session here. Then enter SU and give the admin password of toor. Now type in "sh Porteus-Install-from-Linux.com" <or whatever the long as filename is>.

That was it. Now my workstation boots from the Hdd to Porteus MATE as I was expecting from the start.

To those in power I strongly urge you to make this process less involved and at the very least have a single step-by-step FAQ on installing to your primary hdd including how to make the partitions in Gparted. For those out there who just don't have the experience. And really, the script that copies all the files should go to the newly copied /Boot folder and run the final install to that drive SO THAT after restarting it actually boots from the new boot device. It sure seems to me that it would be a simple thing to do and would eliminate a huge amount of frustration for noobs like me!!

Hope this helps anyone else struggling with installing to the hdd.

-=[Gamer1]=-

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Re: *Solved* Install Not so Easy

Post#3 by donald » 10 Mar 2015, 19:41

uups...too late..
while I was typing the "Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com"- solution,
you got it sorted by yourself...nice feeling,no?
however
have fun with porteus...it's really worth to "waste" some Time exploring it.
btw:this procedure isn't always needed.Just clicking the Install icon
is mostly enough.
So it seems that you are one of the unlucky 1% where it does not.