After package install - from /tmp to where?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
enthusiastic_lurker
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 3.17.4

After package install - from /tmp to where?

Post#1 by enthusiastic_lurker » 30 Jan 2015, 15:44

Hi All,

Thank you for providing this useful resource. I have a quick question that I have been unable to find a satisfactory answer to. So, after the user has installed software with a SlackBuild script, the HowTo instructs the user to move the result out of the /tmp directory for safe keeping. But I don't really know where I should move the newly installed package. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Re: After package install - from /tmp to where?

Post#2 by tome » 30 Jan 2015, 18:21

I don't remember but "SlackBuild script" make only package (see: /tmp) that you must manually install then. You can convert this package to .xzm module (right mouse button -> convert...) and then you should move it to /mnt/live/porteus/modules (it will be activated "every" boot) or /mnt/live/porteus/optional (read cheatcode.txt at porteus boot directory if you want know when it is activated).
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#3 by ncmprhnsbl » 30 Jan 2015, 21:59

"from /tmp to where?" short answer is 'anywhere you like' or 'somewhere safe'
basicly, whatever is left in /tmp is lost on reboot,
once installed the the 'package' isnt really needed, but its a good idea to keep it in case you need to reinstall it.
or as tome says convert it to a module (which can be loaded /unloaded as needed from anywhere)
i'm asuming that you are using 'changes' and have installed into it.
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

enthusiastic_lurker
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by enthusiastic_lurker » 31 Jan 2015, 01:49

tome wrote:I don't remember but "SlackBuild script" make only package (see: /tmp) that you must manually install then. You can convert this package to .xzm module (right mouse button -> convert...) and then you should move it to /mnt/live/porteus/modules (it will be activated "every" boot) or /mnt/live/porteus/optional (read cheatcode.txt at porteus boot directory if you want know when it is activated).
Thank you tome. I really appreciate your input! I'm used to Debian and Ubuntu; the Slackware way of doing things is really new to me. I guess I need to read more about the distribution to understand it better.

enthusiastic_lurker
Ronin
Ronin

Post#5 by enthusiastic_lurker » 31 Jan 2015, 01:51

ncmprhnsbl wrote:"from /tmp to where?" short answer is 'anywhere you like' or 'somewhere safe'
basicly, whatever is left in /tmp is lost on reboot,
once installed the the 'package' isnt really needed, but its a good idea to keep it in case you need to reinstall it.
or as tome says convert it to a module (which can be loaded /unloaded as needed from anywhere)
i'm asuming that you are using 'changes' and have installed into it.
Thanks ncmprhnsbl for filling in the gaps! Like I said to tome, I'm new to the Slackware way of doing things and your help is really appreciated! The forum is a great resource. I will learn alot here. Again many thanks to you both for finding time to answer my questions.