Mounting partitions (SOLVED)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Sagittarius
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: LXDE 3.0/MATE 3.1/XFCE 3.1

Mounting partitions (SOLVED)

Post#1 by Sagittarius » 15 Dec 2014, 20:17

Thanks for the new Porteus release !

I have a PC with 3 partitions with Porteus XFCE 3.1 I just frugally installed to sda1. The only partition it mounts visibly is the third one, a data partition, sda6, and when trying to mount the others I get a message like this:

mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt/sda1 busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /mnt/sda1

However, I can access the other two through the file system /mnt/ which shows all 3, that's to say sda1, sda5 and sda6. Is there a way to access them from the desktop icons without having to go to /mnt ?
Last edited by Sagittarius on 16 Dec 2014, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Mounting partitions

Post#2 by brokenman » 15 Dec 2014, 23:44

Please show me the output of: cat /etc/fstab

To have them show in thunar (and therefore on the desktop) the string comment=x-gvfs-show should be in the fstab for these partitions. For example:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ntfs-3g comment=x-gvfs-show,user,noatime,nodiratime,suid,dev,exec,async 0 0

If this string is not there then I can give you a small rc script or something that you can call from rc.local at each boot. Another option is to navigate to /mnt in thunar and just drag and drop the sda5 folder into the left pane under places.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Sagittarius
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: LXDE 3.0/MATE 3.1/XFCE 3.1

Re: Mounting partitions (solved)

Post#3 by Sagittarius » 16 Dec 2014, 14:13

brokenman wrote:Please show me the output of: cat /etc/fstab
Another option is to navigate to /mnt in thunar and just drag and drop the sda5 folder into the left pane under places.

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# cat /etc/fstab
# Do not edit this file as fstab is recreated automatically during every boot.
# Please use /etc/rc.d/rc.local or sysvinit scripts if you want to mount/unmount
# drive, filesystem or network share.

# System mounts:
aufs / aufs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

# Device partitions:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noatime,nodiratime,suid,dev,exec,async,umask=0,check=s,utf8 0 0
/dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5 vfat noatime,nodiratime,suid,dev,exec,async,umask=0,check=s,utf8 0 0

# Swap partitions:
/dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6 vfat comment=x-gvfs-show,user,noatime,nodiratime,suid,dev,exec,async,umask=0,check=s,utf8 0 0

# Hotplugged devices:
root@porteus:~# 
The drag and drop option works fine thanks, maybe that's the easiest method.

Edit: curiously, now I've rebooted, the desktop icons for sda1 and sda5 have disappeared, maybe because I created a save.dat. Anyhow, the drag and drop is fine.

2nd edit: I rebooted again and they are back (I think I unticked save session) and I can now access the partitions from the desktop. I think I can now put solved on this post :-) Thanks