[Solved] Booting Porteus from an NTFS D: drive

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
ensiferum
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 3

[Solved] Booting Porteus from an NTFS D: drive

Post#1 by ensiferum » 02 Dec 2014, 04:13

Hello. I am a long time WinXP user and pretty much total newb to Linux, but I've been testing various live distributions for the last two days and have found Porteus really appealing. So now I want to use it a bit more often to learn Linux basics, but there's the problem I ran into.

I want to boot it directly from my NTFS formated D:\ drive. Several topics around this forum suggest that this is possible, but so far I haven't had much luck. The boot process stops with a "Porteus can't find the *.sgn file" error. The error only happens when I try to load the file from the hard drive - if the live USB is plugged in it's loaded fine from there.

This makes think I haven't specified the path properly, but I can't figure out how to fix it - here's the menu.lst I found on the forum and edited as best as I could:

Code: Select all

######################################################
# GvR Sept 30th 2004
	color black/cyan yellow/cyan
	timeout=5
	default=0

title Default Boot on HD 0
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1
	boot

title Porteus LXDE
	kernel (hd0,4)/Porteus/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from_dev=/dev/sda5 from_dir=/Porteus/porteus noswap max_loop=150 load=lxde sgnfile=porteus-v3.0.1-i486-onhd.sgn
	initrd (hd0,4)/Porteus/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz 
	boot

######################################################
Any tips will be appreciated,
Last edited by ensiferum on 02 Dec 2014, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Booting Porteus from an NTFS D: drive

Post#2 by fanthom » 02 Dec 2014, 07:52

hi ensiferum,

where did you find about 'from_dev=' and 'from_dir=' cheatcodes? we do not use then since at least two years...
please try this:

Code: Select all

kernel (hd0,4)/Porteus/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda5/Porteus load=lxde sgnfile=porteus-v3.0.1-i486-onhd.sgn
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ensiferum
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 3

Re: Booting Porteus from an NTFS D: drive

Post#3 by ensiferum » 02 Dec 2014, 11:33

fanthom wrote:where did you find about 'from_dev=' and 'from_dir=' cheatcodes? we do not use then since at least two years...
Somewhere on these forums via google search.

Apparently it's much easier when help comes from someone knowing the current system - works great, thanks!