Porteus USB and Samsung Printer ML-3051-ND not on list

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
rtk
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.14.15-porteus

Porteus USB and Samsung Printer ML-3051-ND not on list

Post#1 by rtk » 05 Nov 2014, 11:58

Hello all,
this is my first time writing for help in the forum and I must add that I don't anything at all about Linux. What I do know, however, is that the printer, a Samsung ML-3051-ND, connected by USB to my computer in the office is not to be found on the list of Samsung printers included in the Print settings application.

Should I choose any other Samsung printer and hope that the driver does what is supposed to do? Or should I do something else?

I am trying out Porteus because Linux Mint Ubuntu doesn't do a good job at recognizing the printer, that is, it doesn't recognize that the printer is capable of front and back printing. Maybe this has something to do with the postscript driver. But being a newbie, I just don't know. Besides, I like Porteus and want it to work...

best to everybody,
rtk

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porteus USB and Samsung Printer ML-3051-ND not on list

Post#2 by fanthom » 05 Nov 2014, 12:26

please install 'splix' package through USM as it contains drivers for Samsung (and few other) printers.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rtk
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.14.15-porteus

Partially Solved: Porteus USB and Samsung Printer ML-3051-ND

Post#3 by rtk » 05 Nov 2014, 15:17

Dear Fanthom,
thanks for the help. After updating the databases in USM I downloaded and then installed the package (first time, a real newbie!) and lo and behold, the printer appeared, together with the duplex descriptor. But when I call up the Print menu in Libre Writer, for example, ie, Print -> General -> Properties -> Paper, the Duplex option is greyed out, not available. As the toner indicators are not available in the Printer Settings application. O well. Just like in Mint. Must use the same driver, as the Sourceforge page explains.
Again, thanks for your kind response,
-rtk

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Porteus USB and Samsung Printer ML-3051-ND not on list

Post#4 by francois » 05 Nov 2014, 18:49

Please try with system-config-printer thru command line to start the program and see if you could not adjust the printer duplex mode with the properties and printer.

Or start system-config-printer thru:
Panel menu > system > print settings
Right click on printer icon > properties > printer options > two-sided options > long-edged portrait

I have a samsung printer the c460 and these instructions just worked for me. :good:
Last edited by francois on 07 Nov 2014, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.