[Solved] Browser and Dev Tools missing from ISO?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
rgroner
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0.1

[Solved] Browser and Dev Tools missing from ISO?

Post#1 by rgroner » 23 Oct 2014, 14:36

I've tried Porteus quite a few times in the past year or so. I seem to remember that when I first tried it, I created the ISO with Firefox as a browser, and with the Dev Tools selected. I then booted from the ISO, chose to Install it, and after that, I could boot to the hard drive and use Porteus with Firefox and make, gcc, etc.

In the past week, however, I've created an ISO again with Firefox and with the Dev tools, but when I go to actually use Porteus, I cannot find Firefox in the start menu at all. And when I do "make" in the terminal, it says that make is not found and that I'll have to download and activate the module.
I don't recall having to do anything special when I first tried Porteus in order to be able to access the dev tools....is there now an extra step to making those available in the distro? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks
Last edited by rgroner on 28 Oct 2014, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Browser and Dev Tools missing from ISO?

Post#2 by fanthom » 23 Oct 2014, 17:44

hello rgroner,

i assume that you have used our web wizard - is it? was it the 3.0.1 release or 3.1 rc1?

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rgroner
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by rgroner » 23 Oct 2014, 19:25

Yes, using web wizard. I used the Desktop version wizard, version 3.0.1.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 24 Oct 2014, 06:46

just checked - everything is ok so please try again.
unpack the ISO once you download it and make sure you have 04-firefox.xzm and 05-devel.xzm in /porteus/base.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rgroner
Black ninja
Black ninja

[SOLVED] Re: Browser and Dev Tools missing from ISO?

Post#5 by rgroner » 28 Oct 2014, 15:48

I just tried it again, through the wizard, selected Firefox and the dev tools, downloaded the ISO, and opened...neither of those things are there in /porteus/base.

I decided to try Chrome (I had been using IE). I noticed right away that the download link was different...it said LXDE in the name of the ISO instead of Razor (I have always chosen LXDE). I hadn't noticed before that the ISO I was downloading had said Razor when it should have said LXDE.

The ISO downloaded through Chrome has the two files it is supposed to have. The culprit here appears to be Internet Explorer (version 11). That'll teach me.

Thanks!