Copy to ram related questions

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Sammy
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 3.0 32 bit (Xfce)

Copy to ram related questions

Post#1 by Sammy » 17 Oct 2014, 02:38

When I use the option copy to ram during boot, i notice that there's still a guest folder of 1.2 GB when i boot up. where does this 1.2 gb come from if i removed my pendrive after boot? is it from my ram? (i have 2 gigs of ram)

Does it mean that 1.2 of my 2 GB ram is allocated for the folder and only the 800 mb is usable? or is it such that the guest folder won't take up any of my ram given that i don't copy files in it? Also will it wear down my ram if i use the 'copy to ram' option all the time?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Copy to ram related questions

Post#2 by fanthom » 17 Oct 2014, 08:53

hi Sammy,
When I use the option copy to ram during boot, i notice that there's still a guest folder of 1.2 GB when i boot up. where does this 1.2 gb come from if i removed my pendrive after boot?
yes - 1.2GB is a virtual hard drive created in your RAM which porteus uses for saving files.
Does it mean that 1.2 of my 2 GB ram is allocated for the folder and only the 800 mb is usable?
tmpfs (used for creating virtual RAM disk) is flexible. if you use 100GB for your files then 1.9GB of RAM is still available for applications. if you use 1GB for files then other 1GB can be used by apps.
will it wear down my ram if i use the 'copy to ram' option all the time?
never heard about faulty RAMs caused by extensive usage. for sure it's safer to read from RAM then usb stick/hd.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.