Can Porteus handle power cuts without data corruption?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Can Porteus handle power cuts without data corruption?

Post#1 by Dave99 » 25 Apr 2014, 21:28

Hi all

I intend to use Porteus Desktop Edition on some computers (booting off USB flash drive) which are prone to being switched off at anytime.
My question is, does Porteus mount the boot USB flash drive in Read Only and copy everything to RAM and run from there, thus making possible data corruption on flash disk not possible
when the power is suddenly cut?

T.I.A.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Can Porteus handle power cuts without data corruption?

Post#2 by fanthom » 25 Apr 2014, 21:50

hi Dave99,

if you boot without 'changes=' cheatcode and do not write anything on usb then in fact Porteus works in read-only mode. additionally - if you boot with copy2ram then you can even unplug the stick completely :)

if you want to save changes and still be immune to corruption then 'changes=EXIT:' is the best way to go as data are buffered in RAM and dumped on the stick only during reboot/shutdown. there are still some tradeoffs:
- if power cut happens during live session then the session is lost
- if power cut happens during shutdown then data are corrupted. shutdown time is fast but depends on how much data needs to be copied on the stick so chances are rather small to see it happening :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Dave99
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Can Porteus handle power cuts without data corruption?

Post#3 by Dave99 » 25 Apr 2014, 22:17

Hi fanthom and thank you for your prompt reply and confirmation that Porteus will run completely in RAM.
My application will have no writing/saving to USB flash disk (once it's customized and iso created).