Home School Pupil App Porting Request

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Home School Pupil App Porting Request

Post#1 by jimwg » 26 Feb 2014, 17:41

Greetings:

Just a few mentions gleaned from home school users:

Original Porteus sailing ship in storm wallpaper can't be found in repository.

I believe many Porteus newbies would seek a Remote Desktop VNC like Remmina because of its ssh feature. TigerVNC is nice but in an urban environment without ssh you're good as naked in a jungle.

LibreOffice is alright but there is an OpenOffice 4.01 for Porteus which just renders crisper and nicer. Please keep this one as updated as its LibreOffice cousin.

Though we originally installed KDE to have multiple user accounts (haven't been successful), we largely keep KDE on-board to use Stellarium now to supplement XFCE. The question is are the dependencies required to run it in XFCE larger in size than having KDE installed because if they're smaller we can prune KDE out, unless we can get multiple accounts working in KDE.

(BTW, What are the differences between XFCE 4.10.2 and 4.11? Can't find 4.11 on their website?)

Thanks for any tips!

Jim in NYC

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Home School Pupil App Porting Request

Post#2 by brokenman » 05 Mar 2014, 19:35

Original Porteus sailing ship in storm wallpaper can't be found in repository.
/usr/share/wallpaper

TigerVNC is nice but in an urban environment without ssh you're good as naked in a jungle.
http://rhce.co/access-remote-systems-us ... d-vnc.html

LibreOffice is alright but there is an OpenOffice 4.01 for Porteus which just renders crisper and nicer.
I am maintaing the LibreOffice release and don't really want to take on another. Would love to see someone else do it though. :)

For the remaining questions I don't have a definitive answer.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

dustbunnies
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: hop_around

Re: Home School Pupil App Porting Request

Post#3 by dustbunnies » 06 Mar 2014, 07:22

jimwg wrote:What are the differences between XFCE 4.10.2 and 4.11? Can't find 4.11 on their website
google search "xfce 4.11 changelog"
The first search result (archived mailinglist announcement) contains the full changelog

===

Throughout the 4.x versions, odd-numbered versions have served more or less as "release candidates".
4.0, 4.2, 4.6, 4.8, 4.10 have been the "suitable for LTS" releases.

xfce 4.10 (and current) ships with a boatload of themes which lack support for gtk3 applications... and the stock themes are bundled without regard to whether or not an installed system has metacity, murrine, etc. theme engines present. When the necessary engines aren't present, many of the xcfe stock themes are broken (or will outright crash the session). IMO, it's advisable to chuck the stock xfce themes and replace 'em with the (GrayBird, BlueBird, etc) "shimmerproject" themes available from github.

Aside from improvements to Thunar file manager (which can be upgraded separate from all the other components), anyone using v4.8 isn't missing out on any significant new features. In fact, as I recall, v4.10 introduced the "anti-feature" (not a regression, a broken by design decision) whereby we lost the ability to use xfapplet to integrate gnome2.x desktop applets.

edited to add:
the even-odd version numbering is described here: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/building