Archive Manager Won't Work After Transplant

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Re: Archive Manager Won't Work After Transplant

Post#16 by jimwg » 25 Jan 2014, 02:21

brokenman wrote:And that, my friends, is exactly how you trouble shoot a broken changes folder. Bravo!
Thanks for your persistent assistance as always! The solution came by suggestions from some of the Puppy/Mint home schoolers here, who are now going to try to tackle a public domain script that allows one to ahead of time to select and backup to another HD all the vital configuration and other app support files in the Changes folder to replemish a new replacement Changes folder with one's former set-up intact, automated to execute at one shot instead of tediously trial-by-guess folder by folder re-boot after re-boot as I did in the event that someone else stumbles over what occured with me.

Wish them luck!

Thanks all for the assist!

Jim in NYC

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#17 by beny » 25 Jan 2014, 12:53

there are two ways,that can work if you have to do a shot of your system,use the make iso.sh script inside porteus,or use dd the first take the iso of the whole system the second take the whole size of disk or pen drive or sd ,but if you have a system working with a lot of software,a backup like this work great.btw if you want you can start again to install everything,if you use the changes folder sound like a waste of time.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#18 by jimwg » 27 Jan 2014, 13:11

beny wrote:there are two ways,that can work if you have to do a shot of your system,use the make iso.sh script inside porteus,or use dd the first take the iso of the whole system the second take the whole size of disk or pen drive or sd ,but if you have a system working with a lot of software,a backup like this work great.btw if you want you can start again to install everything,if you use the changes folder sound like a waste of time.
What we are trying to strive for is a configs recovery mode done with minimal resources without having to resort to full backups. In my pick-piece-by-piece trial-by-error with the Changes folder, I surmise that the hang-up only involved one or two inconspicuous files -- I highly assume were corrupted configuration files, that were left behind in the old Changes folder. If there was a script that just allowed you to solely only backup configuration and app and desktop settings files instead of the whole banana bunch it would've short-cut that eventual solution we found in a heart beat; just go into Fresh mode, delete the malfunctioning Changes folder, boot back in and feed that new Changes folder all your backed-up configurations and settings. That would've done the trick for us in this case under a minute.

Jim in NYC

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#19 by beny » 27 Jan 2014, 18:22

the good thing of aufs file system is,you have six modules in the porteus core folder,and you can work without make the changes stored,because you have a read system only,the trick is do not remove software inside the core, the changes, you can remove folder as you wish every way you want, if a configuration file is located into changes you can recreate it, so you have to merge software that you use into a whole packages the configuration files are in, so changes folder isn't so important,you have always a read system but each time more useful.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#20 by brokenman » 27 Jan 2014, 21:17

You may also be interested in the 'magic folders' function in Porteus. It allows one to save changes for a specified folder for example: /home/guest/.config/mozilla only. Perfect for saving config folders and keeping separate from overall changes. If you hose your system and just want to restore certain configs then it is perfect. You can access it through the Porteus Settings Centre.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.