Save.dat container (SOLVED)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
budchekov
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Xubuntu 12.10

Re: Save.dat container

Post#31 by budchekov » 03 Dec 2013, 21:12

EdP wrote:Have you gotten the save changes to work yet?
Nope, someone should lock this thread.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#32 by Ed_P » 03 Dec 2013, 21:58

budchekov wrote:
EdP wrote:Have you gotten the save changes to work yet?
Nope, someone should lock this thread.
Hey!! I'm using it for my save file situation. :)

Ok, back to your problem. You created a save file on your USB drive. Is the drive formated as FAT32 or a Linux format? What is the path to your file? Have you tried putting it in the root of the USB drive?
Ed

budchekov
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Xubuntu 12.10

Post#33 by budchekov » 03 Dec 2013, 22:11

EdP wrote: Ok, back to your problem.
Thanks Ed, but it's no longer a problem, uninstalled and moved on.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#34 by tome » 03 Dec 2013, 22:18

EdP I'm not sure but you are wrong, you can not save /mnt/live to changes, every time after reboot you will still need update /mnt/live if you want save changes, but maybe you use some tricks.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#35 by Ed_P » 03 Dec 2013, 22:53

tome wrote:EdP I'm not sure but you are wrong, you can not save /mnt/live to changes, every time after reboot you will still need update /mnt/live if you want save changes, but maybe you use some tricks.
Well I just rebooted from using Windows and my Porteus reconnected to my WiFi and had the password without my needing to enter it. The change in the cleanup file allowed my changes to be saved.

Oh!! I see what you are saying. The info for the file shows the original file date rather than today's. So the fix has to be reentered each boot. :cry:

hmmmm Patch file, create a backup, restore backup each boot. Sounds reasonable but I have limited scripting skills.....

budchekov wrote:Thanks Ed, but it's no longer a problem, uninstalled and moved on.
Oh, ok. I thought you were a tech.
Ed

tome
Contributor
Contributor

Post#36 by tome » 04 Dec 2013, 22:09

replace your initrd.xz with updated from:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ui4ydoh3j34xkoy/awngRHBa80 - Porteus folder, and change name of this file or change path in your bootloader.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#37 by Ed_P » 04 Dec 2013, 22:31

tome wrote:replace your initrd.xz with updated from:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ui4ydoh3j34xkoy/awngRHBa80 - Porteus folder, and change name of this file or change path in your bootloader.
Thank you @tome. An interesting option.

At present I have found that this series of commands works for me also:

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ su
  Password: toor
  root@porteus:/home/guest# cp -a /home/guest/cleanup /mnt/live/
Ed

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#38 by fanthom » 12 Dec 2013, 06:12

@phhpro
yes - syncing was probably the issue and brokenman added already a 'sync' command after every 'dd' in save file manager tool.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#39 by Ed_P » 16 Dec 2013, 04:45

Kind of a related question, we use the cheatcode to save our changes but do the changes get used/read if we don't use the cheatcode to save them? And if not is there a way to do that?
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#40 by francois » 16 Dec 2013, 09:53

There is nothing going on if you do not use the changes cheatcode: nil, néant, zéro, or if you prefer it corresponds to always fresh. You do not have access to previous data unless it has been caught in some way into a module. Changes have the life of the session.

What do you want to do? The question is not clear to me.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#41 by Ed_P » 16 Dec 2013, 15:33

francois wrote:What do you want to do? The question is not clear to me.
Hello neighbor. Sorry my question was kinda vague.

When I start Porteus from the ISO without the save.dat file I have to enter my WiFi password, my Porteus signon password, run my NTFS and touchpad fixes and etc. etc. Having the save.dat file saves me all that which is great and I've come to put a lot of importance on the save.dat file.

If I start Porteus and wish to experiment with new apps, new console commands, new scripts that I create, etc. I'm afraid I will screw up my system, and if that happens I don't want any of the changes I've made to be saved. I want to reboot and try again, not totally from scratch but from the last good save.dat so I don't have to reenter my passwords, fixes, etc.

Is that any clearer as to what I'm trying to do?
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#42 by brokenman » 16 Dec 2013, 15:53

In that case you can simply save your sessions as a module. In the porteus settings centre (found in the menu) click on the image of the floppy disk at the top. Then click on the session saver button. Please them all into a folder called something like 'mysessions'. You can make modules from your sessions. Then you can boot with the cheatcode load=/path/to/mysessions and all the modules in this folder (your saved sessions will be loaded.)

This is how i would do it.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#43 by Ed_P » 16 Dec 2013, 18:51

brokenman wrote:In that case you can simply save your sessions as a module. In the porteus settings centre (found in the menu) click on the image of the floppy disk at the top. Then click on the session saver button. Please them all into a folder called something like 'mysessions'. You can make modules from your sessions. Then you can boot with the cheatcode load=/path/to/mysessions and all the modules in this folder (your saved sessions will be loaded.)

This is how i would do it.
:shock: Wow!! I like this idea. :good:

Let me be sure I understand this, I start Porteus, it uses my save.dat and restores my passwords and etc. I then try something like getting java to work, actually get it to work (I like to dream), I then save my session as a module, I reboot in Fresh mode, but with the cheatcode to load= and I will have my passwords, and etc and my java work?
Ed

tome
Contributor
Contributor

Post#44 by tome » 16 Dec 2013, 22:51

Ed_P, you can also move your save.dat file to your modules and change name to save.dat.xzm

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#45 by Ed_P » 17 Dec 2013, 03:16

tome wrote:Ed_P, you can also move your save.dat file to your modules and change name to save.dat.xzm
!! Interesting.
phhpro wrote:As brokenman suggested, that's almost how I save all the time. Just create a module from your home folder, done. Before switching off the box, I simply put it back on the server. Next time logged in, fetch it, activate and do a quick logout, login. Hello? All my settings and data is there, love it. ;)
Ah... thank you @phhpro but that sounds like more work than switching to root and running a script to reapply changes. Hopefully with the load= cheatcode there's less steps.
Ed