Guest problem

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Mikedelaw1
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: a lot of them

Guest problem

Post#1 by Mikedelaw1 » 09 Nov 2013, 08:59

I tried Porteus a while back (1.5 or 2.0 version, I can't remember) and stoped using it because the password for guest didn't worked. I used Lili Linux Creator and FAT ...

I tried Porteus 2.1 a couple of minutes ago (ext2, installed with Centos DVD) and - again - couldn't get into Guest. Password is not accepted ... New root password works fine ... I have changed guest password from root, but it is still not accepted. Screen goes dark for one second and then I am back into Login Screen.

Can I delete guest accound and make another one?

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Re: Guest problem

Post#2 by tome » 09 Nov 2013, 10:36

try grub4dos instead of lili or adduser command in terminal but new user has empty folder
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 09 Nov 2013, 21:07

@Mikedelaw1
works for me - i simply ran 'passwd' command as guest and after logging out i was able to login with new password.
which desktop are you using?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Mikedelaw1
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by Mikedelaw1 » 15 Nov 2013, 08:49

LXDE. I am not that familiar with command line, so I only tried changing it through Porteus Settings Centre ...

I have downloaded Porteus and will try again ...

Mikedelaw1
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by Mikedelaw1 » 03 Dec 2013, 10:32

If the root account works, guest should be OK, too - or did you mess-up the case? Default password is spelled all lowercase guest (might show on the upper right of the desktop)
I didn't.
You mentioned FAT. Does that mean, you ventured into installing a Linux system onto a DOS partition??? If so, I'd be rather interested to learn how on earth you managed to pull that one off
I didn't installed it. i used Lili (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/) to put Porteus on USB. A couple of clicks and it is done ... But it is true that Lili only supports 1.x version, and not 2.x.

Mikedelaw1
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by Mikedelaw1 » 04 Dec 2013, 08:18

I didn't. I do not know how to do it that way ...

This time I put Porteus on USB (ext2, not FAT) using CentOS + executing sh Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com.

I will wait for the next version to appear and try again ...

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#7 by donald » 04 Dec 2013, 13:49

Hi Mikedelaw1
could you please make another try, delete everything on your usb (or reformat)
and install porteus to your usb (ext2) from a porteus live-cd.
It always worked for me and so it should do for you.(hopefully)

Mikedelaw1
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by Mikedelaw1 » 05 Dec 2013, 08:49

Many folks go for unetbootin.
Unetbootin crashes when I want to find the path of the iso. But if I enter the path manually, it works. Will try that ( or Universal USB Installer or YUMI).
As mentioned by donald, erasing your USB might solve the issue.
I always do that before I put a Distro on USB ...
If you are afraid of shells and command line stuff
Am not. I use it for basic commands only as I am new in Linux ...

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#9 by donald » 05 Dec 2013, 13:56

@Mikedelaw1
Unetbootin crashes when I want to find the path of the iso. But if I enter the path manually, it works. Will try that ( or Universal USB Installer or YUMI).
I do not understand why you use 3rd party-tools.
The easiest and recommended way to install porteus is to boot a live-cd
and click the install-button.
This way only porteus is involved in the installation process and it should work.
Don't you have a CD-Rom?, any explanation?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#10 by brokenman » 05 Dec 2013, 20:38

You can install Porteus from within windows.

Unpack the ISO file. Place the contents onto your USB. Open the boot folder and 'run as administrator' the Porteus-for-windows.com script (real name may differ). Or even better use Donald's method above. You never know when you may need that original burned disk again.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Mikedelaw1
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by Mikedelaw1 » 06 Dec 2013, 09:15

Don't you have a CD-Rom?, any explanation?
Too big pile of CD's with different Linux Distros on it ...
Unpack the ISO file. Place the contents onto your USB. Open the boot folder and 'run as administrator' the Porteus-for-windows.com script (real name may differ).
Thanx. Will save.dat help to wore USB down more that ext2 which is USB friendly file format?
Hasn't this been reported before elsewhere? I'm sure to have read about passwords not working.
Some guy made a remastered version of Porteus and installed it. Guest password was not working ...
When you built your ISO, you didn't change the passwords?
I didn't.

I have now downloaded another version with guest password already changed. Will try once again during weekend ... I have used FF rather that older version of Chrome this time ...

I think it is a faulty download since when I put another USB, file manager won't mount it, and when I take it out, Porteus crashes with infinite crash report filling the screen. Funny thing that I have downloaded Porteus more that five times and have always experienced the same two errors ...

tome
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by tome » 07 Dec 2013, 23:26

use passwd (it is very easy), maybe psc creates passwords file (shadow) with incorrect permissions.

tome
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by tome » 08 Dec 2013, 07:42

now tested. I was wrong with suggestion of wrong permissions, so maybe another keyboard layout for login screen (alt shift, numlock?)
@phhpro
How about getting some info about the USB brand, model? There's some rather faulty stuff out there. Hacking your way into the _default_ account via passwd over-ride is certainly no solution. Myself am randomly booting into a black screen (http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=2837); and although you suggested a cheat for it
do test without usb for example: copy2ram base_only or copy your Porteus (base folder) from usb to disk (the same path) and eventually rename your base on USB to base-noload (to be sure you are using harddrive) and boot it as usual - then you should know if there is a problem with usb or with your hardware.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#14 by brokenman » 08 Dec 2013, 14:37

@phhpro
No, you are correct in thayt Cent has nothing to do with windoze but some information from Mikedelaw gave me the impression that he has access to windows and is comfortable in it. So i bit my tongue, apologized to the gods of linux and went forth.

Thanx. Will save.dat help to wore USB down more that ext2 which is USB friendly file format?
After other discussions i have concluded that the file system doesn't really matter. The extra read/writes you use for journaling in the ext3+ filesystems are negligent and will not prolong the life of your USB for any significant gain (unless you are using SSD hardware). Moores law allows for space in this regard and i am more likely to lose or buy another usb device before it runs out of life (i am still using a CF card from 8 years ago) after which they will be triple the memory and half the price.

In theory, the save.dat container together with the changes=exit cheatcode could prolong the life of your device as there are minimal writes to the device. I would, however, always recommend using a native linux file system wherever possible when using linux.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#15 by francois » 08 Dec 2013, 21:01

Mikedelaw1 wrote:LXDE. I am not that familiar with command line, so I only tried changing it through Porteus Settings Centre ...

I have downloaded Porteus and will try again ...
No need to download. Try password change instead the short way. Password change is easier in cli mode:

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:/$ su root
Password: 
root@porteus:/# passwd guest
Changing password for guest
Enter the new password (minimum of 5 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
New password: 
Bad password: too short.  
Warning: weak password (enter it again to use it anyway).
New password: 
Re-enter new password: 
passwd: password changed.
root@porteus:/# exit
exit
guest@porteus:/$
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.