Installing porteus to an SDHC card

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
rodyaj
White ninja
White ninja

Installing porteus to an SDHC card

Post#1 by rodyaj » 18 Oct 2013, 23:04

I want to put latest porteus xfce edition on an 8gb Sandisk SDHC card from Linux. I've copied the full contents of the iso over to the root of the card and ran the script from the boot directory:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/mnt/mmcblk0p1/boot# sh Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com
... but I get error code 1 as shown by debug.txt:

device: /dev/mmcblk0p                                                                                     
partition: /dev/mmcblk0p1                                                                                 
partition number: 1                                                                                       
partition mount point: /mnt/mmcblk0p1                                                                     
installation path: /mnt/mmcblk0p1/boot                                                                    
subfolder:                                                                                                
filesystem: ext4                                                                                          
bootloader: extlinux                                                                                      
error code: 1                                                                                             
system: porteus 3.9.11-porteus i686                                                                       
mount details: /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmcblk0p1 ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered 0 0 
Here is my partition scheme:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7948 MB, 7948206080 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 242560 cylinders, total 15523840 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00030064

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1   *        2048    15523839     7760896   83  Linux
The partition is formatted with ext4. I've already tried starting from scratch and creating a new partition table with parted 'mktable' command. I'm actually running porteus now in ram, booted from another usb drive with fat32 that I used the windows installer on. So I also tried using the 'Porteus Installer' from the xfce menu to install to the ext4 SD, but it does not detect my SD or USB disk (only the internal drives). I'd appreciate any help.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Installing porteus to an SDHC card

Post#2 by fanthom » 19 Oct 2013, 08:31

everything looks ok but maybe the installer enumerate partitions incorrectly.

please paste the output of following command:

ls -1 /sys/block/ | grep -v loop

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rodyaj
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by rodyaj » 19 Oct 2013, 09:53

mmcblk0@
sda@
sdb@
sr0@
Thanks.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#4 by beny » 19 Oct 2013, 10:04

hi fdisk -l in console show you the device plugged in hard disk or removable device ,but i think you have a problem with the format of SDHC the installer fail because not check real device but label:mmcblk0p1 instead sda or sdb etc etc,

rodyaj
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by rodyaj » 19 Oct 2013, 10:27

beny wrote:hi fdisk -l in console show you the device plugged in hard disk or removable device ,but i think you have a problem with the format of SDHC the installer fail because not check real device but label:mmcblk0p1 instead sda or sdb etc etc,
How can I use the real device then? It appears from dmesg that it is 'mmc0':

[ 2237.989476] mmc0: new SDHC card at address aaaa
[ 2237.989582] mmcblk0: mmc0:aaaa SU08G 7.40 GiB 
[ 2238.000734]  mmcblk0: p1

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 19 Oct 2013, 15:13

@rodyaj
installer incorrectly recognizes your device as 'mmcblk0p' while it should be 'mmcblk0' - that's why it's failing.
will update installer and post here for testing.

thanks for reporting.

@beny
this is not a label but a real device name, flash cards are named like that unfortunately....

EDIT:
please test updated installer from here:
http://dl.porteus.org/i486/testing/Port ... -Linux.com

thanks

rodyaj
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by rodyaj » 19 Oct 2013, 20:23

fanthom wrote:@rodyaj
please test updated installer from here:
http://dl.porteus.org/i486/testing/Port ... -Linux.com

thanks
Sorry but still errors. I made sure I replaced the .com.

Installing Porteus to /dev/mmcblk0p1
Make sure this is the right partition before proceeding.

Press Enter to continue or Ctrl+c to exit.

Flushing filesystem buffers...

Using extlinux bootloader.

Installation failed with error code '1'.
Please ask for help on the Porteus forum: www.porteus.org/forum
and provide the information from /mnt/mmcblk0p1/boot/debug.txt

Exiting now...
And debug.txt:

device: /dev/mmcblk0                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
partition: /dev/mmcblk0p1                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
partition number: p1                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
partition mount point: /mnt/mmcblk0p1                                                                                                                                                                                                         
installation path: /mnt/mmcblk0p1/boot                                                                                                                                                                                                        
subfolder:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
filesystem: ext4                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
bootloader: extlinux                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
error code: 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
system: porteus 3.9.11-porteus i686                                                                                                                                                                                                           
mount details: /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmcblk0p1 ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered 0 0

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 20 Oct 2013, 12:55

updated once again so please check if this version works better:
http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/testing/Po ... -Linux.com

if you still get a failure then it must be udisks2 causing troubles so please mount your card manually rather than using thunar:

mkdir /tmp/mmc1
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /tmp/mmc1
cd /tmp/mmc1/boot
sh Porteus-installer-for-linux.com
thank you