Trying To Get Streaming Radio in XFCE

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Trying To Get Streaming Radio in XFCE

Post#1 by jimwg » 17 Oct 2013, 17:02

Greetings!

I'm running Porteus 2.1 32bit XFCE 4.10.

I log in as guest and from there I log out and back in as root (even if there's a way to directly boot-up into route I like the security aspect of a guest default boot-up in case I want to demo Porteus to home school people and others and let them play with it without any stray explorations peeking my private stuff. If root shouldn't be used as one's regular account this is the time for me to know so I can find a way to move my root setup into guest and leave a totally clean root behind).

Anyway, my problem is I am trying to get streaming radio and Package Management only had two options: Soma and Streamripper. Streamripper is too command-line complicated for me and Soma says it doesn't function in root, but I don't want to abandon work and switch to guest just to hear streaming radio. VLC wants to download tons of dependencies that might hog lots of memory, so any advice of a solution is most appreciated!

Jim in NYC

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Re: Trying To Get Streaming Radio in XFCE

Post#2 by beny » 17 Oct 2013, 19:27

go to shoutcast home site,look for the radio what you wish to listen,click on the play button with the right mouse button save as... you have a pls, that you can open with mplayer or other music player.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Re: Trying To Get Streaming Radio in XFCE

Post#3 by jimwg » 18 Oct 2013, 11:10

beny wrote:go to shoutcast home site,look for the radio what you wish to listen,click on the play button with the right mouse button save as... you have a pls, that you can open with mplayer or other music player.
Thanks! Works like a dream!

Jim in NYC