Cheatcodes - What codes and boot options can be combined?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
iolalog
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 XFCE 64bit

Cheatcodes - What codes and boot options can be combined?

Post#1 by iolalog » 04 Oct 2013, 02:07

Hi folks

New to Porteus (and fairly green when it comes to Linux in general), but liking it so far! One of the most user friendly distros I have tested, and the wizard for configuring the download is great :). If I was head of this distro I wouldn't default the wizard to Razor however, as it seems like a fairly immature desktop compared to for instance XFCE. Newbies like me might get a less favorable impression of Porteus if they end up testing only Razor in my opinion (given that newbies struggle to separate distro from desktop, and that being green you are likely to run with the default). Oh, and please include an option to add savefile through the wizard. Anyway, back on topic.

I have used various cheatcodes for the boot, and that's great. One thing that isn't clear for me in the description of the codes however is what codes can be used with what boot option. Can I for instance add the "changes" code to the "copy2ram" boot option? (giving me fastest performance and the ability to save changes booting from USB as I do) I understand it makes little sense to combine it with "Always fresh", but it would be useful to have a matrix listing what codes can be used with what option regardless.
Olav

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Re: Cheatcodes - What codes and boot options can be combined

Post#2 by donald » 04 Oct 2013, 03:24

Hi iolalog
A save file is only needed if porteus is installed to a non-linux partition.(e.g. FAT 32, NTFS)
While building their iso's, It could be a hurdle for newbies, to decide if they need one or not.
IMO the better way is to let the OS detect the Filesystem and then give a hint about the savefile.
Cheatcodes:
you can find some Information in /boot/docs/ cheatcodes.txt
The advantage of copy2ram is that it loads all data into the ram, so you could take out the Live-CD to have a free CD-Rom-drive. (and of course it's faster executing)
No Prob to combine copy2ram and changes cheatcode.
In allways fresh mode you can build a changes-Module to store your settings and use it again next Time

and welcome to porteus... :)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Cheatcodes - What codes and boot options can be combined

Post#3 by Ed_P » 04 Oct 2013, 05:07

iolalog wrote:New to Porteus (and fairly green when it comes to Linux in general), but liking it so far! One of the most user friendly distros I have tested,
Me too, both Porteus and Linux, and I agree.
If I was head of this distro I wouldn't default the wizard to Razor however, as it seems like a fairly immature desktop compared to for instance XFCE. Newbies like me might get a less favorable impression of Porteus if they end up testing only Razor in my opinion
Personally, as a Linux newbie, I like Razor. Granted I have only tried 2 versions of it, 3 if you count a 64 bit version of it. But it isn't overwhelming yet fully functional. An easy way for a newbie to get involved with Linux.
Ed