recommended tagfiles for slackware install

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
isr
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus-2.0 & gentoo

recommended tagfiles for slackware install

Post#1 by isr » 04 Aug 2013, 15:34

TL;DR: do you have a good minimal('ish) tagfile for a slackware-current install, which would make a good "installed" companion for porteus.

Excuse the lengthy question, but here's some background, in case the question I'm asking is not really what I should be asking (a common newbie fault!)

I've been trying out porteus for a while on my netbook (after internal HD with sabayon/gentoo failed!), and am very impressed. Impressed enough that I want to install slackware-current onto that netbook to see if it (slackware) would make a good stable base for my distro-enhancements (custom build system, etc). I've been a solid gentoo user on all my boxes for over a decade, but its too much of a moving target for me to stabilise non-gentoo stuff across multiple machines.

Ideally, I'm looking for more of a 'base' system, on top of which I can leverage my own builds.

/background.

Ok, so thats the reason why I'm not necessarily looking at doing a full slackware install. Is there a set of published tagfiles anywhere which mirrors whats in porteus? I realise this would be much more than a base system, but I'd like to start with that, so I can more easily share pkgs I build on the slackware install with my porteus usb sticks.

I see the "PACKAGE LIST FOR V 2.0" under General Info, but on cursory examination, those pkg names don't seem to coincide with slackware sets & pkgs. Or am I wrong?

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: recommended tagfiles for slackware install

Post#2 by francois » 04 Aug 2013, 23:38

The list is good for the basic systems with their respective desktop environment, you should put .xzm in the end of each of these packages, these are mainly slackware packages that have been converted to modules with the LZMA2 compression method.They are txz transformed to xzm files.

There is also the list of modules available thru Porteus package manager (PPM):
http://www.ponce.cc/porteus/i486/modules/
http://www.ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/modules/

I don't think that I did forget much. :)
Last edited by francois on 06 Aug 2013, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 05 Aug 2013, 09:12

hi isr,

1) rather avoid slackware-current which may contain bugs. i would recommend you focusing on - well tested by the slackware community - stable releases.
2) boot porteus and go to /mnt/live/memory/images, in every module you'll find /var/log/packages folder which contains info files for packages used to construct each xzm. i guess that you'll be mostly interested in /mnt/live/memory/images/001-core.xzm/var/log/packages as this is core of the system which is enough to boot porteus to text mode.

also have a look here and here.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

isr
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus-2.0 & gentoo

Post#4 by isr » 06 Aug 2013, 02:31

fanthom & francois: thanks for the detailed replies. Much appreciated :)

Fanthom: yes, that pkg list is exactly what I was looking for (you've already done the hard work of putting together a minimal'ish working setup with particular WM/DE's, so why not piggy back?).

PS: I've been using porteus for a few months already, and am VERY impressed. Love the thought thats gone into the various different ways of overlaying files on top of the unpacked modules.

PPS: what are the removed_packages/ & removed_scripts/ for? All empty, but are they used for anything, or are they just leftover artifacts from the build system?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 06 Aug 2013, 21:39

what are the removed_packages/ & removed_scripts/ for?
these folders are being used by slackware pkgtools. in porteus we activate/deactivate modules so you can ignore them.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.