Installing iproute utility

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
stoneheart
Ronin
Ronin

Installing iproute utility

Post#1 by stoneheart » 25 May 2012, 16:33

Hello, all. I am trying to run the Fortinet VPN client on Porteus. I was able to unzip the client, but it complains that a iproute utility is missing and needs to be installed. I found the source code for iproute2 at http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/net/iproute2/. Now I am puzzled how to proceed. Do I need to follow the instructions on how to compile a Porteus module fully? I once compiled some software on Ubuntu by following a cut and paste tutorial and as I recall the steps were shorter with just configure and make statements.

I am running Porteus off a USB installation if that makes a difference... The laptop I have has a bad hard drive controller and so it's not possible to use a traditional Linux distro.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Installing iproute utility

Post#2 by brokenman » 26 May 2012, 00:23

Porteus is compatible with slackware packages so you can convert these into modules. You could get iproute by using the Porteus Package Manager or by doing the following.

open a terminal.

Code: Select all

slackyd -u
slackyd -s iproute
slackyd -g iproute2-2.6.37-i486-1
txz2xzm /var/slackyd/iproute2-2.6.37-i486-1.txz /var/slackyd/iproute2-2.6.37-i486-1.xzm
activate /var/slackyd/iproute2-2.6.37-i486-1.xzm
The first command updates the slack database on your computer.
The second command searches for the package (not required but useful to know)
The third command downloads the packages.
The third command converts them into porteus modules and the last activates them.

Answer 'y' to any dependencies that are found for the iproute package and repeat the conversion procedure for all. If you are running porteus with changes= to preserve all changes you could actually skip converting the packages into modules and just use: installpkg /var/slackyd/package.txz
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

stoneheart
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by stoneheart » 26 May 2012, 17:58

Thank you. That was helpful. I was able to install the iproute package, but the Fortinet client still complains that it is missing. It's probably expecting it in another directory, but I don't know what it should be. :(

Your answer was very informative though. Let's consider this closed.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 26 May 2012, 21:20

@stoneheart

seems that iproute2 package depends on a kernel version. i guess that you are using porteus-1.1 (please always provide porteus version and edition) so please grab all source files from here:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.slackw ... /iproute2/
and replace iproute2-2.6.37.tar.bz2 with this version:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/net/i ... .0.tar.bz2
(porteus-1.1 uses 3.1.8 kernel).
now edit iproute2.SlackBuild and change VERSION=2.6.37 to VERSION=3.1.8

run 'sh iproute2.SlackBuild' command and after a while you should get a new txz package in /tmp directory.

let me know if Fortinet VPN client accepted this new version. if not then i'll try to get it to work myself (tomorrow).
also - please provide download link for fortinet linux client.

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.