[Solved] guest account inaccessible after updating to porteus 5.01

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Chuck
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus LXQT 5.0 x86_64

[Solved] guest account inaccessible after updating to porteus 5.01

Post#1 by Chuck » 11 Oct 2023, 20:20

<t>Hello.I was running porteus 5.0 lxqt then I updated to 5.01 replacing the boot and porteus folders then running the porteus installer for Linux.
Now I cannot login into guest account, it doesnt accept the password. I have to access with the root account.
If i launch users and groups and i try to change it says:

* (process:1091): WARNING **: 22:10:20.973: Error enumerating actions: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files
Error checking for authorization org.freedesktop.policykit.exec: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files

If i change it from the terminal with passwd guest command it runs successfully, but when i reboot and try to access doesn't accept it anyway. I changed the root password with the passwd command and works, so i think that lxqt users and group setting and guest account are broken.

Edit:

Looking at the boot messages there is:

Unable to cd to '/home/guest'

Trying to access account from CLI shows:

-- guest: /home/guest: change directory failed: Permission denied

it works by using the following commands from cli or terminal however now is root account that breaks and rebooting causes the situation to reset again:

sudo chown root:root /

sudo chmod 755 /

sudo chown root:root /home

sudo chmod 755 /home

sudo chown -R guest /home/guest

sudo chmod 755 -R /home/guest
Last edited by Rava on 13 Oct 2023, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [Solved] to subject

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

guest account inaccessible after updating to porteus 5.01

Post#2 by Rava » 12 Oct 2023, 10:22

Chuck wrote:
11 Oct 2023, 20:20
If i change it from the terminal with passwd guest command it runs successfully, but when i reboot and try to access doesn't accept it anyway.
You not mention changes, and I presume you not save changes or your changed guest password would have remembered.
Try creating a module that only contains these files:

Code: Select all

/etc/shadow
/etc/passwd
https://linuxize.com/post/etc-passwd-file/
/etc/passwd is a plain text-based database that contains information for all user accounts on the system. It is owned by root and has 644 permissions . The file can only be modified by root or users with sudo privileges and readable by all system users.
when changing your guest password did not alter your /etc/passwd you do not have to put it into the module.

But /etc/shadow will have a recent date/time stamp when you changed any user's password.

When you use a /rootcopy/ folder on an ext[234] system you can copy the changed /etc/shadow there, e.g. presuming sda1 is your boot device and /porteus/ your Port folder, then copy /etc/shadow to /mnt/sda1/porteus/rootcopy/etc/shadow
Make sure you do so as root and that the file ownership and permissions of /mnt/sda1/porteus/rootcopy/etc/ is the same as /etc and /mnt/sda1/porteus/rootcopy/etc/shadow is the same as /etc/shadow

You can check that via
ls -ld /etc :

Code: Select all

root@rava:~# ls -ld /etc/
drwxr-xr-x 112 root root 400 2023-10-12 11:57 /etc/
Owned by root group root
root can execute, read, write
group can only read and execute
others can only read and execute

When you not use rootcopy/ folder then create a settings-module containing only /etc/shadow - but make sure it gets loaded last, e.g. by numbering all your usually loaded-during-boot modules with nnn- at the beginning and nnn being numbers.
My regular modules (aside from base) go from 005-BROWSERNAME and 007-EMAIL-PRORAM to 010-* and ending at 031-* and my settings modules are 985-palemoon and 991-usr_local_bin (for all my own scripts and programs that can be used for any DE) and 992-rootcopy (that is DE specific)

so, in your case, when all your modules have the nnn-NAME schema, use e.g. 990-settings.xzm as the module name for your settings module containing /etc/shadow
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Chuck
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus LXQT 5.0 x86_64

guest account inaccessible after updating to porteus 5.01

Post#3 by Chuck » 12 Oct 2023, 13:54

^
thanks for the help but at the end i opted for a reinstall since troubleshooting takes more time than backup, install and restore.
Last edited by Rava on 12 Oct 2023, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "^" instead of full quote