Non Java slim alternative to mucommander?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#1 by Rava » 27 Aug 2023, 07:38

Is there a non-Java-based slim alternative to mucommander? Also without the need of dependencies like qt* - I want it for XFCE or Openbox.

I like the mc like style:
but I have no interest in using a program that needs Java.

I would like if it was possible to tweak nemo (or thunar) to be able to look like muCommander - but I presume that is not possible.

I recall dimly that there used to be a Linux GUI program that looked like so, but I do not recall its name. :(
Cheers!
Yours Rava

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 27 Aug 2023, 08:48

Rava wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 07:38
I would like if it was possible to tweak nemo (or thunar) to be able to look like muCommander
both those (and most others) have an "extra panel" or "split view" coupled with "detailed" or "list" layout, will give a superficial similarity.. (usually under 'view' menu)
and spacefm offers up to four panels if you want..
this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o ... Twin-panel covers most of what's available..
most like mucommander style:
worker
gnome-commander
tuxcmd
sunflower
emelfm2
xfe
there's few of them on slackbuilds..

rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#3 by rych » 27 Aug 2023, 09:48

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 08:48
spacefm
Thanks for the Spacefm alpha module and the whole OpenBox environment.

Among the alterantive FM above, if anyone encounters ones with automatic <DIR> calculated Sizes column, could you let me know? It's just so important for me to able to sort folders by size.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Rava » 27 Aug 2023, 11:53

rych wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 09:48
Among the alterantive FM above, if anyone encounters ones with automatic <DIR> calculated Sizes column, could you let me know? It's just so important for me to able to sort folders by size.
nemo does that, but I deactivated it since I have some collections with lots of sub-folders in sub-folders with several thousand files in those.

Maybe try a pie chart visualizer?
To me, baobab is very helpful. This is how it looks on my 1.5GB boot partition:
When you hover over part of the pie a popup come telling you the name and size of the folder the mouse is hovering above.

Code: Select all

porteus
483,7 MB
Baobab-DiskUsage.xzm is a mere 172032 bytes (168 KB) [V3.34.0 - I never bothered looking for a newer version since I never had any issues with it.] :D
And runs out of the box in 5.0 XFCE x86-64. Might be you need a dependency for a different DE, though.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

cheriedavy
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Abc

Post#5 by cheriedavy » 27 Aug 2023, 17:10

Yes, you can use Double Commander as a non-Java-based alternative to muCommander. Double Commander is a file manager that offers a similar dual-panel layout and a style reminiscent of Midnight Commander. It's written in Lazarus/Free Pascal and does not have a dependency on Java or Qt. You can use it with XFCE or Openbox environments. I would suggest you to read about Business tips

As for tweaking Nemo or Thunar to look like muCommander, it's unlikely as they have their own design and functionality. If you're looking for a muCommander-like experience without Java, Double Commander is a good option to consider.
Last edited by cheriedavy on 05 Sep 2023, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Cheriedavy

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Rava » 27 Aug 2023, 19:42

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 08:48
both those (and most others) have an "extra panel" or "split view" coupled with "detailed" or "list" layout, will give a superficial similarity.. (usually under 'view' menu)
Yep, nemo has view/Extra pane (not "panel" for some reason, maybe an oversight?) and it sure makes the right side (the main area) quite small since the sidebar is still shown by default.

Now when one would recall the keys to change both:
F9 toggles sidebar on/off
F3 toggles Extra pane on/off

so, by just pressing F9 and then F3 nemo switches from its default look to one very similar to mc. Neato! B) :celebrate3:

And I can even press F9 and F3 at the same time if I wanted, how awesome is that! instant switch between mc look and defaut look.
cheriedavy wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:10
Yes, you can use Double Commander as a non-Java-based alternative to muCommander. Double Commander is a file manager that offers a similar dual-panel layout and a style reminiscent of Midnight Commander. It's written in Lazarus/Free Pascal and does not have a dependency on Java or Qt. You can use it with XFCE or Openbox environments.
thanks, I look into it.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#7 by rych » 29 Aug 2023, 10:51

Rava wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 12:05
nemo does that
Could you teach me how? All I can find is that this feature isn't implemented:
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/2283
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/554
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... r_size_in/

I still know of the only one File Manger that does it, and it's SpaceFM alpha.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by Rava » 29 Aug 2023, 12:07

rych wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 10:51
Could you teach me how?
sadly, no, because I was mistaken.
It does show the number of files and folders (unsure about files and folders in sub-folders) in the size column but not the size.

I still recommend Baobab-DiskUsage - for mere 172032 bytes (168 KB) [V3.34.0] you get the best GUI filesize helper for all files and (sub)folders - to easily see what really fills up your partitions.

I could upload it if anyone would be interested.
Cheers!
Yours Rava