I don't get to save settings

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Dm88
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus

Post#16 by Dm88 » 10 Aug 2023, 20:10

I don't understand, I did not change anything and now it saves my settings.
It's not a good thing because if I face this same problem again I won't know how to solve it. :hmmm:
Maybe in my last try I seem to remember that I entered "999MB" as a size instead of "2". I entered "2" before because I thought this file would be a settings file with text inside, but it's more like a sort of user partition, isn't it ? Could it be the reason why it did not work ? If so, it should not let the user enter a number too low to work.

"mnt/sda1/porteus/modules/" is still read only though. When I install a webbrowser, it tells me to move it from "tmp" to "modules", but I can't.
edit: I got to do it with "sudo cp " and it's still there after a reboot.

Many texts are still in english though, maybe the french language pack is not 100% translated.

Another question : how can I set numlock on at startup ? I do not find this in the settings.
Vic wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 13:04
You mentioned VirtualBox.
Yes, I am trying a few lightweight distros in virtualbox to choose which one I will install on my father's very weak laptop which is totally dying crushed under windows's fat ass... Porteus is my favorite one by far by the way, so fast, so light, yet lacks nothing.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#17 by Ed_P » 10 Aug 2023, 23:01

Dm88 wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 20:10
I don't understand, I did not change anything and now it saves my settings.
It's not a good thing because if I face this same problem again I won't know how to solve it.
A good thought pattern. :)
Dm88 wrote:
"mnt/sda1/porteus/modules/" is still read only though. When I install a webbrowser, it tells me to move it from "tmp" to "modules", but I can't.
edit: I got to do it with "sudo cp " and it's still there after a reboot.
Yup. The .xzm modules created in the /tmp folder are root based and can not be moved as guest. They can be copied as guest though which is what I do.
Dm88 wrote:
Maybe in my last try I seem to remember that I entered "999MB" as a size instead of "2".
So you did change something. :happy62:

I like your persistence Dm88. :good:
Ed