Is everything deleted in Always Fresh option upon Shutdown

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
appEnigma
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Linux

Post#1 by appEnigma » 01 Jul 2023, 15:09

Hi,

If I choose Always Fresh option my understanding is that the changes are not saved. Is everything totally cleared ? Even RAM as well ?

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#2 by beny » 01 Jul 2023, 15:17

yes and with fresh mode you load only the base modules,but if you need other modules you can activate them on fly.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#3 by Rava » 22 Sep 2023, 06:46

Or you can put all modules you need on a regular basis in your base/ folder, e.g. your browser, your email program, and your paint program.
Like in my case I have these (among others) in my base:

Code: Select all

005-palemoon-recent.xzm
007-interlink-recent.xzm
010-nvidia-340.108-k.5.4.30-porteus-v5.0-x86_64_rava.xzm
022-mtpaint-3.49.32-x86_64-3_rava.xzm
Why are my palemoon and interlink modules called *recent.xzm and not display their version?

I use symlink pointing to a symlink also called the same in my main Porteus modules folder, and that 2nd symlink points to the most recent version.

Why do I do so since it sounds complicated?

Because this way I can have dozens of Porteus variants and all their base/ folders have symlinks point to to the same symlink on another partition. And none of these symlinks in the dozens base/ folders must be ever changed to reflect the update to a newer version. When there is a newer version of e.g. 005-palemoon I replace the symlink in my Porteus modules folder ( also called just 005-palemoon-recent.xzm ) from pointing to the older version (e.g. 005-palemoon-32.4.0.linux-x86_64-gtk3.xzm ) to the most recent one (currently: 005-palemoon-32.4.0.1.linux-x86_64-gtk3.xzm )

Might sound complicated at first glance but once you understand why it's done like this you might appreciate how easy you can handle dozens of base/ variants of Porteus always directing to the most recent versions of my browser, my email reader and my settings modules (or any other program you always use and that gets updated regularly) without having to update any of these base/ folders ever again as long as you keep e.g. 005-palemoon-recent.xzm as a valid symlink in your main Porteus modules folder it not matters if you updated the program never, 10 times or a gazilion times.
Cheers!
Yours Rava