[Solved]Where is the System icon from v1

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

[Solved]Where is the System icon from v1

Post#1 by nickh » 07 Feb 2012, 21:40

Hi,
In v1 I had a desktop icon to allow me to explore the system i.e Konqueror with system: as its root. This icon no longer exists in 1.1. I can copy the home icon and change the command to call "/tmp/.wmanager system:/" but how do I change the icon to something different?
TIA,
Nick

[edit]
Also once I mute the system, how do I make it remember it is muted between reboots?
[/edit]
Last edited by nickh on 14 Feb 2012, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Where is the System icon from v1

Post#2 by brokenman » 07 Feb 2012, 22:54

You can place the preferred icon in /usr/share/pixmaps/porteus or you can find the home.desktop file and change the icon in there.
find /usr/ -name system.desktop

I believe you can also now use the volume cheatcode:
volume=some_value%
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by nickh » 08 Feb 2012, 20:27

I'll give them both a go.

I'll see if it is possible to get the System icon out of v1 and copy it into v1.1. I am surprised this shortcut has disappeared from v1.1 as I would have had no idea how to get such a view (system:/) without having a v1 installation as well. How else should I be getting a system view? I did not notice anything obvious on Konquerer.

About the volume, I'll try the cheatcode as well, but in v1 it would remember it for each PC (or driver?) between reboots. i.e if I muted it on the laptop it would stay muted on the laptop, but if I then booted another PC I would have to mute it again, but returning to the laptop afterwards would be OK. This behaviour has been lost in v1.1.

Posted after 7 hours 59 minutes 43 seconds:
home.desktop exists in 3 locations, /usr/share/apps/konqsidebarting/entries/, /usr/share/apps/konqsidebarting/kicker_entries/ and /usr/share/apps/systemview/

Any idea which one to use?

The cheatcode volume does not exist. I've checked at kernel.org and in the boot docs. I would have thought this was a regression/bug.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 08 Feb 2012, 22:48

The cheatcode volume does not exist.
it will be added to the next release.
you can add it yourself easily to your current version, please follow my advice from this thread:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 7630#p7630
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 09 Feb 2012, 16:22

Sorry, my bad for the cheatcode.

If you are saving changes then perhaps try making your changes and then running alsactl. This should remember your settings.
The icon your looking for should be /root/Desktop/System.desktop or /home/guest/Desktop/System.desktop

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by nickh » 09 Feb 2012, 20:51

fanthom wrote:
The cheatcode volume does not exist.
it will be added to the next release.
you can add it yourself easily to your current version, please follow my advice from this thread:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 7630#p7630
Well that has blown it! I've added the three lines to the /opt/porteus-scripts/paths file at the end and now Porteus will not boot, with or without the cheatcode. I can boot into always fresh and text mode but these do not have the changes in the file that I can reverse. How can I reverse the change. When it fails to boot I get the message:

Code: Select all

Load ALSA mixer settings: /usr/bin/alsactl restore
Then it hangs. In the meanwhile I'll see if I can find a cheatcode not to load ALSA.

[edit]
cheatcode alsa=no does not work either :(
[/edit]

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 09 Feb 2012, 23:38

sed -i '/VOLUME/d' /path/to/changes/folder/opt/porteus-scripts/paths

If you are using a save.dat file you will need to boot to text mode and mount the save.dat file, copy the contents to another place (with edited paths file) then recreate a save.dat file. The kmenu should have the application to create a new save.dat file.

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by nickh » 10 Feb 2012, 21:04

As you might have guessed I am using a save.dat file. Rather than use text mode I have used Always Fresh. I hope that did not make any difference. I've deleted the changes "paths" file but it does not help. I've also tried renaming the changes /var/lib/alsa/asound.state file and I still cannot boot. Is there anywhere else this cheatcode could have changed?

At some point it may be easier to ditch the save.dat and reset everything or just revert to 1.0 which I have kept.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#9 by fanthom » 10 Feb 2012, 22:07

1) 'volume' cheatcode sets volume level temporarily just for the current session. it does not store any settings at all. you can run 'Always Fresh' with 'volume=' cheat and go to /mnt/live/memory/changes. if you find something alsa related i owe you a beer.
you had to run 'alsactl store' yourself or changed some other settings.

please upload /var/log/messages from your .dat file for review.

2) to disable alsa:
a) mount your save.dat on loop
b) run 'chmod -x /mnt/loop/etc/rc.d/rc.alsa'

Cheers

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#10 by nickh » 11 Feb 2012, 09:56

I was just trying to do a bit of bug hunting when I removed the changes asound.state. In fact a diff of that and the base file showed they were identical so I did not expect anything and it makes me wonder if the command is completing and it is the following command which is failing. Could anything have gone wrong updating the kernel then reverting to the old one?

Here is a /var/log/messages (cut down to the most recent boots): pastebin messages
And if it helps dmesg: pastebin dmesg

I'll try disabling alsa in a moment.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#11 by fanthom » 11 Feb 2012, 20:09

i cant see anything wrong in the logs. no hangs or anything... - are you sure you have uploaded correct log?
you have booted 3 times and twice you have entered runlevel 0 (shutdown) so you must have login first to enter the halt command i guess?
(ctrl+alt+del would invoke runlevel 6)

could you provide /var/log/messages when you boot successfully to the desktop in 'Always Fresh' mode? maybe it will tell me more when i compare 2 logs.

also - 'gpm' daemon was starting which is launched after alsa. maybe you have something in /etc/rc.d/rc.local which is causing the hang?
did you try to disable alsa as advised before?

nickh
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#12 by nickh » 11 Feb 2012, 21:40

Shutdown was invoked by briefly pressing the power button.

I tried disabling alsa. I could not get your instructions to work as the file was not there to chmod. What I did was copy rc.alsa to /mnt/loop/changes/etc/rc.d then chmod it. This prevented alsa from starting but the boot up still hung after the line "Starting gpm: /usr/sbin/rpm -m /dev/mouse -t -ps2". As far as I know the only thing I have in rc.local is a line to call up powersave mode. That used to work fine.

Here is /var/log/messages from Always Fresh.
Here is /var/log/messages from booting without alsa.

Is it failing when it is trying to do something with the acpid client for the second time? I may have a hunt around in changes and remove anything to do with acpid.

If you want to abandon this troubleshooting I'd be OK with reloading Porteus from scratch. Just let me know. I don't mind continuing either as I am learning the system.

Posted after 28 minutes 30 seconds:
OK. Got it and you were right, it was in rc.local. Originally I called power-saver with the & switch. I thought I saw odd messages pop up during boot up so to suppress them I changed the & to a "> /dev/null". When power-save ran it hung on "press return to exit" as I was not pressing return! Adding back in the & fixes it.

Thanks for your help and sorry for wasting your time.