Where are the Porteus 2.1 pBuild scripts? (003-lxde.xzm)

This section is designed for your 'porteus build scripts' which create Porteus modules for your favorite applications. Scripts should work like the well-known 'SlackBuilds' with minimum user interaction.
cpoakes
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Debian

Where are the Porteus 2.1 pBuild scripts? (003-lxde.xzm)

Post#1 by cpoakes » 08 Sep 2013, 19:31

I have been scouring the FAQs and forums looking for the location of Porteus 2.1 sources, in particular the pBuild scripts for the base modules. Is there an svn or git repository? I have searched everything named "porteus" at github, sourceforge, and google code; there is no source material there (but porteus-xfce has some good hints about constructing desktop modules).

In particular I would like the pBuild script for 003-lxde.xzm. Through the forums, I have learned to modify 003-lxde.xzm: basically xzm2dir, removepkg, dir2xzm. I would rather start from the source material and understand the additions/modifications/deletions applied to the packages installed in the module.

Thanks.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: Where are the Porteus 2.1 pBuild scripts? (003-lxde.xzm)

Post#2 by wread » 13 Sep 2013, 13:27

Hi cpoakes, welcome an board!

The sources of lxde you can get from git here: git clone git://lxde.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/lxde/[REPO_NAME]

Hope you will fin what you are looking for...

Regards!
Last edited by wread on 13 Sep 2013, 15:08, edited 2 times in total.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 13 Sep 2013, 14:18

the lxde.xzm module is built out of several packages, which are built with slackbuilds. Most of them are the standard slackbuilds with minor tweaks, such as compile flags and taglines for the package extension name (e.g. 1Ahau.txz). When I build a module, I start by installing all of these binary packages into a fake root directory; I then copy my "tree" into this location. The tree is another fake root that contains uncompressed customizations (text files, extra scripts, the odd binary library), then I run a couple of cleanup scripts before running dir2xzm.

I've archived my tree from 2.1 and put it here: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/files/lxde-tree.tgz

Are you also looking for individual package sources? You can see the packages in this module by looking in /mnt/live/memory/images/003-lxde.xzm/var/log/packages; I'm assuming if you want to remove/add/change packages, you've got the sources you're looking for already?
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

cpoakes
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Debian

Post#4 by cpoakes » 13 Sep 2013, 16:22

@Wread - Thanks for the welcome. My inquiry is not about the lxde sources, but the tweaks and customisations applied to those sources and additional material that go into packaging the lxde xzm module.

@Ahau - Thanks for your response. During my dissection of 003-lxde.xzm, I noticed your tag was quite prominent. I was guessing you would be the one to respond. Thanks for the tree - it is much as I expected. I found the porteus-xfce project at google code and already reviewed the tree from obox-info.tgz. The obox tree was quite sparse; I could not believe the lxde tree would be similar. Thanks for revealing the type and scope of files that are not "stock lxde". The post-processing scripts not only squeeze out the cruft, but apply more subtle tweaks - I appreciate recategorizing Evince and Geany.

I have already discovered the 003-lxde.xzm/var/log/packages as part of my exercise in recreating a module by simply removing packages. With the overlay tree, I feel more confident in attempting to build up rather than tear down. (You are right; I have or can locate packages, slackbuilds, and sources I need.)

There are other clues on the forum and now you have specifically mentioned that you don't use the stock slack builds. This is a missing piece of the puzzle. What compiler flags are you changing? (More than just TAG I assume). My first slackbuild for Porteus is the compton compositor. I deleted the docs and man pages to save space (it is a small package to start with). What are the compile option changes I should consider?