Porteus-v1.1.473-i486 aka KDE-4.7.3 for 32bits

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Porteus-v1.1.473-i486 aka KDE-4.7.3 for 32bits

Post#1 by wread » 15 Dec 2011, 14:27

This is a HOWTO.
Take a clean usb-install of Porteus-v.1.1rc-1, (I tested rc-2 with KDE-4.7.4 and the new kernel doesn't like KDE-4.7.4; had many crashes). In kernels, we are ahead of Slackware?

I am using a 4 GB usb stick.
Now, go to the directory where you have "porteus", and make a new folder, call it "473". Right click and copy the "porteus" folder, cd to "473" and paste the porteus folder there. Cd to the new porteus/base folder and delete 004-kde.xzm, 005-kdeapps.xzm and 006-koffice.xzm.

Add the folders in http://www.mediafire.com/?p426142uhu6n1 to the new folder porteus/modules. The extra file you put in new rootcopy/etc/udev/rules.d to avoid showing the xzm-modules in the left panel of dolphin (fanthom's tweak).

The final product is a dual-boot Porteus (Trinity - KDE4). Start Trinity normally. To start KDE4, I use the cheatcode "toroot from_dir=473/porteus"

Try it, you will like it!

Regards!

P.S. If you want to get akonadi working, download mysql-5.1.46.xzm -it is posted in xzm-modules- and install it in new folder porteus/modules. Enjoy!
Last edited by wread on 21 Dec 2011, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus-v1.0.473-i486 aka KDE-4.7.3 for 32bits

Post#2 by brokenman » 16 Dec 2011, 02:51

Damn bleeding edge distros ... i want KDE4 with rc2 ... and the world on a platter.

Excellent work wread .. your porteus foo is strong!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#3 by wread » 16 Dec 2011, 12:41

@brokenman
I forgot to write following: if you want to have the wicd icon on the panel, you will have to extract the new base/002-xorg.xzm and comment out the line "OnlyShowIn=LXDE" in the file etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop and rebuild -tweak by fanthom-.

I don't like the reviews mentioning we only offer KDE3. That is the engine behind the idea of KDE4 for 32-bits as alternative.

Only one problem I still have to resolve: This 4.7.3 won't shut down the regular way; you will have to do it via console, right clicking and writing the command halt.

I had made a version of 4.7.1 that shuts down correctly, but then akonadi won't open correctly.
I also made a version of 4.7.4 with rc2. It behaves like the 4.7.3 (no shutdown) but crashes often.

I compare 4.7.1 and 4.7.3. to discover hidden differences that justify the behavior of each of them. Maybe fanthom can give us a hand.....

Regards
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 17 Dec 2011, 16:21

This 4.7.3 won't shut down the regular way; you will have to do it via console, right clicking and writing the command halt.

Make sure that KDE sound system is working properly and phonon can play sounds. This is stupid but KDE wont let you logout/shutdown till it plays "TAADAAA..." sound :)
It behaves like the 4.7.3 (no shutdown) but crashes often.
this can be anything... hard to guess without the log files. whole /var/log directory would be perfect for a start.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#5 by wread » 21 Dec 2011, 17:01

@fanthom
You are right! The shutdown problem is sound related. Phonon plays wav, sound from Youtube, etc., but neither startup nor shutdown sound! I will search what is missing there.

On the other issue -4.7.4 and crashes with kernel 3.1.1- I compared sizes of all files in /var/log.
The only one that changes is wtmp (it is a binary!) and you can't get much info out of it.

I will prepare a usb with kde-4.7.4 and kernel 3.1.0 and see if it is stable, like this combo 4.7.3 and 3.1.0 and report back.

Regards!

EDIT: The shutdown issue is SOLVED, a missing dependency, xine-lib-1.1.19 is now installed in modules. I am putting it in mediafire in the kde-4.7.3 folder. :Yahoo!:

I will go on now with kde-4.7.4.

Posted after 3 days 17 hours 32 minutes 47 seconds:
Re: Porteus-v1.1.473-i486 aka KDE-4.7.3 for 32bits
@brokenman
I would like to add to kde4-32 bits that option you have in trinity: Right-clicking on an *.iso file brings up the menu "View iso". Where are the files in trinity that do the job?

I am thinking of making an *.iso of this version; chances are that it fits in a CD.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards!