XFCE - collaboration thread to produce a Porteus module

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: XFCE - collaboration thread to produce a Porteus module

Post#61 by Hamza » 17 Dec 2011, 14:30

françois,

For keyboard's issue, You can use kmap cheatcode which it update the keyboard layouts to your language set in kmap cheat.
About mount devices..I haven't this problem - is it possible to describe your method to reproduce the issue ?

For other issue, I don't get them..Everything is working fine.
This may be an unique issue which it doesn't be reproduced on other computers.

Please post the output of psinf, /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg, etc..

Thanks.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#62 by francois » 17 Dec 2011, 14:50

1) kmap cheatcode: I have tried it in the relatively recent past. From memory there was something wrong with it. I will come back on that issue. I imagine that cheatcode is:
keymap=ca

2) no mounting: this happens once and a while after a few reboot in save changes mode. I do not seem to do something really special. At next bootup mounting capacity is back again.

3) psinfo, ... etc. What are the others?

4) are you working with xfce module in /porteus/modules folder^

Posted after 2 minutes 44 seconds:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# psinf
bash: psinf: command not found
root@porteus:~# 
111217_xfce4.8_porteus/var/log/messages:
http://pastebin.com/gxh0DTQJ

111217_xfce4.8_porteus/var/log/xorg.0.log:
http://pastebin.com/tBnkCxfa

111217_xfce4.8_porteus/root/Desktop/psinfo
http://pastebin.com/H0ZeUgFM
Last edited by francois on 17 Dec 2011, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#63 by Hamza » 17 Dec 2011, 15:44

No, the cheatcode is kmap and not keymap. have a look on cheatcode.txt on Porteus v1.1 rc2 ISO.
We can use on your logs that the Kernel see the devices but something is blocking the auto mount process. So this is not a kernel modules problem.

Did you used XFCE without your "settings.xzm" module ?
We can also see that your devices have been mounted by the system, but according your bug report, You have mounted them manually.

Please start the system and send us directly the logs. Don't mount the devices manually.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#64 by francois » 17 Dec 2011, 18:06

Did you used XFCE without your "settings.xzm" module ?
Yes I did used xfce without it, and resort to it just after finding all the anomalies mentioned.

I'll report later. I have to finish my new bathroom renovations this week-end.

Thanks et à bientôt.

Posted after 2 hours 7 minutes 18 seconds:
Am I supposed to clear empty the save changes file or do you want me to just reboot the box?
Last edited by francois on 17 Dec 2011, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#65 by Hamza » 17 Dec 2011, 19:13

No, I didn't said this.
When I am using Ahau's XFCE module I haven't any problems so the only difference between our version is the changes module and also the change cheatcode as I am using it in Always Fresh Mode only.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#66 by francois » 17 Dec 2011, 23:13

Please Hamza reread your previous post, I cited you textually (copy/paste), but maybe not in context. :)

I am replacing the paste.bin files in my previous files after a reboot. Do you want me to erase my save changes folder too? :(

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#67 by Hamza » 18 Dec 2011, 10:59

Try to boot and test XFCE with this configuration :
-Remove the changes cheatcode from boot parameter
-Upgrade your xfce apps module to beta3 as it is the lastest version of Ahau's Work.

Thanks.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#68 by Ahau » 18 Dec 2011, 18:01

Sorry, short on time this weekend. Francois it almost seems like you aren't getting a clean shutdown. I'll try to go through your logs tomorrow.

The apps module you have does contain a bug (overwrites ld.so.condf), and has not been updated on the server-- though I am close :)

Please do test without the apps module. Thank you so much for testing!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#69 by Hamza » 18 Dec 2011, 19:30

We can see an error with a libraries..

Code: Select all

Dec 17 08:40:58 (none) kernel: [ 1252.907818] xfce4-xkb-plugi[5270]: segfault at 10 ip b68c4da3 sp bfe2834c error 4 in libc-2.13.so[b684a000+15c000]
This may explain why you have some troubles using xkb plugin.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#70 by Ahau » 19 Dec 2011, 02:40

a "second alpha" apps module is now on the server: http://code.google.com/p/porteus-xfce/downloads/list

Included programs:
midori + deps and flashplayer (includes aspell with english spellings; other languages will require their language specific aspell package, which can be downloaded through slackyd)
epdfview (pdf viewer)
galculator (the calculator plugin will be dropped from future releases of the core XFCE module)
xfce4-mailwatch-plugin (this will be moved into the core XFCE module in future releases)
gftp (ftp client)
gnome-ppp (modem dialer; front end for wvdial+deps, also included)
grsync - GUI front end for rysnc (rsync is added for 64-bit, it was already present in 32) -- backup utility
xfvnc (vnc viewer -- I'm not really familiar with vnc, so if anyone can see if avahi's vnc server browser does the same thing and is better, then I'll drop this from future releases, as well as it's dep, gtk-vnc)
medit (text editor, my new favorite)
mousepad (lighter text editor)
mtpaint (basic paint program)
parole (media player)
powertop (CLI power saving/reporting program)
ristretto (image viewer)
squeeze (archiving program)
transmission (bittorrent client)
uget (download manager -- if anyone knows how to get this to interface with midori, please let me know)
xfburn (cd burner)
xnoise (music player)

Please note that I tested most of these programs just far enough to verify that they start up (it's an alpha release after all), so there may be issues with some or many of them; I'll keep using/testing them and fixing/configuring them as we go.

Thanks!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#71 by francois » 19 Dec 2011, 20:08

Ahau wrote:Sorry, short on time this weekend. Francois it almost seems like you aren't getting a clean shutdown. I'll try to go through your logs tomorrow.

The apps module you have does contain a bug (overwrites ld.so.condf), and has not been updated on the server-- though I am close :)

Please do test without the apps module. Thank you so much for testing!
d

I did test without the apps module. All these difficulties came in before the use of the apps module :(

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#72 by Ahau » 20 Dec 2011, 07:18

merci beacoup, francois.

je suis travailler dans le xfce avec la klavier canadien.

Ok, that is about as far as I can go with my rusty french...

I have booted a number of times with saved changes and have not experienced any hangs, so now I am looking to see if the xkb plugin might be part of the problem -- have you always changed the keyboard settings before experiencing issues with logging in and automounting drivesÉ Ok, seriously, where is the question mark on your keyboardÉ :wall: :wall:

:)

Rather than modifying /root/.config/autostart/xkb.desktop (why there, and not /root/.config/xfce4/panel/xkb-plugin-8.rc?), I have modified the settings through the GUI, as follows: right click on the US flag, select properties, click on one of the layouts I don't need to select it, click edit, choose a new layout (in this case, canadian multix), then selected "globally" from the "Manage Layout" box so that I don't have to switch it for each application, then clicked close. Now, I can switch the layout by left clicking on the flag and choosing another layout. I do hope that I can find a way to recreate the issues, because I would like to get it resolved for you (and anyone else who might have the problem).

If possible, please also paste the contents of /var/log/slim.log, maybe something of interest will show up there, amongst all of the "(gdu-notification-daemon:4203): libgdu-WARNING **: unhandled property 'DeviceAutomountHint'" spam (I believe that's the output when gnome disk utility tries to automount a porteus xzm module...teehee).

Ok, it's getting too late for me, I'm getting loopy!

Two known bugs in the applications package, btw:
1) squeeze sometimes leaves a dialog box open after extracting archives. Just cancel out of it. I bumped squeeze to the latest git with this release, and this is what it got me (of course, the latest stable is almost 4 years old, so maybe I should be looking for another archive manager...)
2) none of the gstreamer based apps (parole, xnoise, xfburn) are working with some common media types (notably mp3's, wav files, and probably many others). I only included the gst-plugins-base package, and at the very least should be adding gst-plugins-good. gst-ffmpeg is also needed for mp3's. I think I'll handle this by adding the "good" plugins package to the main module, then putting all of the questionable and/or large ones (bad, ugly, ffmpeg) in a separate module, with a desktop item that loads a script that will download the module. That way I'm not including non-GPL stuff in the main module, but users can still easily get the plugins they need for their own personal use.

Goodnight, all!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#73 by francois » 20 Dec 2011, 11:57

En français:
La question de la langue au Québec est une question très sensible. Nous sommes 8 millions d'habitant qui tentons de préserver le français en Amérique du nord noyés dans un bassin de 320 millions d'anglophones. Ces quelques mots de français sont très appréciés et me vont droit au coeur. :D

Back with the actual lingua frenca:
I will start from scratch with the xfce module beta alone, without using the french keyboard and then post the results of my testings.

Thanks for looking at the issues.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#74 by Hamza » 20 Dec 2011, 12:45

@Ahau,
Thanks, but it appear the keyboard issue can be solved with rebuilding glibc.
As you have already seen, I haven't problem with keyboard french on my computer.

French for fun
Merci, mais il apparaît que le problème de clavier peut être résolu en faisant une nouvelle compilation de la librairie glibc.
Comme tu as du déjà le voir, Je n'ais pas de problème avec le clavier français sur mon ordinateur.

Thanks!
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#75 by Ahau » 20 Dec 2011, 15:52

@francois,

Je vous souhaite beaucoup de succès, je l'espère, la beauté de la langue française reste intact sur nos rivages toujours.

(Ok, I had to have some help from google translate for that one!)

@hamza,

I am also not receiving any glibc errors with the xkb-plugin, without recompiling. However, I did pick up some reports of xkb-plugin recovering after a crash in my slim.log. It still seems to work fine, however, and booting back into xfce has not been a problem.

One other difference I can think of is that I typically execute the command to halt or reboot from the command line, and don't believe I've adequately tested reboot/shutdown from the xfce menu. I'll test that later today just for grins.