XFCE - collaboration thread to produce a Porteus module

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: XFCE - collaboration thread to produce a Porteus module

Post#106 by Ahau » 26 Jan 2012, 22:24

Thanks, crashman! I'm glad to hear you like it :)

@All: New version (beta-4) has been released for all xfce modules! Download them here:
http://code.google.com/p/porteus-xfce/downloads

And follow the instructions in the first post on this thread (now updated to include an FAQ).

@fanthom (and others): I'm curious to know if thunar still hangs for you when you open it for the first time. I have read more about this bug on the XFCE forum, and there is a fix for it that I will apply if it's still causing trouble (the fix is to disable automounting of network mounts in gvfs -- this is where the hang occurs)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#107 by fanthom » 27 Jan 2012, 16:10

hi Ahau,

great job with XFCE. i especially like that it starts really fast (nearly as fast as LXDE).

few bugs found so far:
- missing 'libssp.so.0' and 'libicutest.so.44' catched by slackyd
- (as metioned by you) thunar is lagging at the first launch
- mpeg 1 demuxer not available for parole
- Xnoise doesn't support .flv files (flash videos). Also - what's the point of having Gome mplayer + parole + xnoise while their functionality is duplicated?
- System -> Disk utility does not launch
- Applications -> Catfish and "find files and directoreis" opens the same app (catfish) so one could be dropped
- Applications -> "Orange globaltime" is also listed in Office
- matter of prferences but i miss he logout/restart button in the main panel

Just realized that official repo is not compatible with XFCE. PPM resolves all deps except for libs included in official ISO. if you remove 003 or 004 from your build then those deps will remain unresolved.
next week i'll go through 003-lxde and 004-kde and upload libs (like: qt, gnutls, libiodbc, poppler, etc..) included in these modules to the repo so it wont be the issue anymore.
(brokenman could do the same for 32bits).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#108 by Ahau » 27 Jan 2012, 18:06

Thanks, Fanthom!

libicutest is part of the icutest package, and is required for the icu package. Webkit/icu seem to be compiled with different options between 32 and 64 bit (I downloaded external binaries). I'd like to compile these all from source to trim icutest as a dep (and geoclue as well). I'd like to trim webkit and icu as much as possible. Thus far, however, I've had no luck in getting webkit to compile (probably missing libraries that it's not telling me it needs).

I'll look into libssp.so.0 as well.

- for thunar, I'm adding a link here as a reference (for me and anyone else who cares): https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7373
If you have time, please give this a try:

Code: Select all

sed -i s/true/false/ /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount 
and save /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount to rootcopy and reboot. Expected output is that thunar will start immediately, but network button will show a different emblem; when you click on the network button it will then have the same long delay before showing your network locations. As this is a known bug it should be repaired...but they've known about it for a while now (maybe it won't be fixed until 4.10 later this year).

What kind of file were you trying to play in parole when you got the mpeg 1 demuxer error? This is likely a missing gstreamer plugin, and you need the gst-plugins-bad and/or gst-plugins-ugly package. I've not included them in my build for copyright/package size considerations (see porteus-xfce FAQ), but would like to know which plugins are failing on which filetypes, so I can selectively add them where it won't cause me legal troubles :) You're right about not really needing parole and xnoise. They are included because they are small and light; the real constraint is gstreamer, which is a nightmare to keep small because of all the various plugins and their dependencies. Unfortunately, gstreamer is required for xfburn, and xfburn won't be able to handle these filetypes either for burning/ripping without the same gstreamer plugins. If I can find a better alternative for burning, I may add that and drop xnoise, parole, and gstreamer plugins (except core gstreamer+base plugins, as those are required for xfce4-mixer).

I agree about catfish and find files and directories. I like having a menu option, so I think I'll cut catfish.desktop in future releases. (maybe I'll modify my catfish slackbuild to rename and modify catfish.desktop to this effect).

re: orage globaltime -- I'll modify the menu to drop this from one of the two (not sure which yet lol)

I'm not opposed to having a logout/restart button in the main panel, and I'm always interested in user's preferences, because I have poor taste when it comes to things like this (and themes, icons, etc) :) Would you like to have logout/restart on the right side of the panel, or the left?

Thanks again, for the great feedback!

EDIT: nice catch on using PPM with lxde/kde removed :) thanks for taking that on.

RE: libssp, this is included in gcc, found in the devel module. This is why thunar is so slow to start -- avahi, gdu and gvfs are all broken because they need libssp, so network shares aren't found/mounted. I've now reproduced that error on my end. I'll sort out how to handle this... 3 options -- compile with libssp disabled, compile with libssp statically, or add libssp to the xfce-4.8+deps module (cheap hack, but would probably do the job).

Posted after 1 hour 12 minutes 43 seconds:
I've recompiled gvfs, avahi, and gnome-disk-utility after manually deleting libssp* from /usr/lib64/. This resolves the 'disk utility' problem you have, the slow-loading thunar issue, and the problem you were having (but didn't know) that avahi was never starting.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#109 by fanthom » 28 Jan 2012, 09:54

What kind of file were you trying to play in parole when you got the mpeg 1 demuxer error?
i have a few quite old .mpg videos. will provide detailed info from mplayer when back home.
Would you like to have logout/restart on the right side of the panel, or the left?
right - same as in kde/lxde.

EDIT://
here is Mplayer output

Code: Select all

Requested audio codec family [mpg123] (afm=mpg123) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 224.0 kbit/7.94% (ratio: 28000->352800)
Selected audio codec: [ffmp2float] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG layer-1 and layer-2 audio)

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#110 by francois » 28 Jan 2012, 19:02

Happy to use porteus xfce 4.8 beta 4. I am working root with the save changes option. Just begining to use it, exciting! I know for sure that there is hard work behind the scene. :D

Is there any special demand?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#111 by Hamza » 28 Jan 2012, 19:39

Vote for add it as proposed desktop on Official ISO's.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#112 by Ahau » 29 Jan 2012, 01:16

@francois,

Thanks for testing again!

For this release, please make sure you are testing with the 00X-devel.xzm module from the default ISO activated, as fanthom discovered some important packages rely on it.

Also, please confirm that your sound mixer is started and configured properly for your sound card (should work with volume buttons on a laptop), and please check that it logs out properly with changes saved to an ext2 partition. Other than that...enjoy! ...and let me know if you run into other issues :)

Posted after 5 hours 25 minutes 31 second:
I've just uploaded a new patch:
http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... atch-1.xzm

all testers, please download this module and place it in your /porteus/modules folder alongside the other xfce beta-4 modules. It is architecture independent, so it will work for both 32 and 64 bit modules.

changelog:
-added logout/shutdown button to panel
-removed duplicate instances of orage globaltime and catfish in the menu
-adds libssp (both 32 and 64-bit versions) and libicutest (for 64-bit version--turns out this was an upstream error and I needed to upgrade to icu version 4.4.2 to get this lib to compile).

Thanks to fanthom, for all of the help/suggestions! This should resolve all of your issues except for some media files failing in parole/xnoise (those will still need additional gstreamer plugins, more than likely).

cheers!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#113 by francois » 30 Jan 2012, 03:32

Hamza wrote:
Vote for add it as proposed desktop on Official ISO's.
Is there a second vote possible? If its the case to lets pack the vote, give us the direct link to the thread. :ROFL:

@Ahau:
1) Concerning the aesthetics. You can have a look at phoenix xfce 4.8 version of pclinuxos. It looks good character wise and buttons wise and this is a distribution that works very fine. Its based on rpm, but they have adopted apt-get and synaptic as package managers. Vectolinux is good to have a look at, the presentation is very fine.
2) However, I like this one only panel of ours at the bottom of the screen.
3) This new version of porteus will automatically open windows outside of the surface occupied by the panel. Would it possible that windows open full screen instead with the panel overlapping the fullscreen window. After all, with the transparency option the former behavior is unecessary.
4) I will follow your most recent instructions and give you feedback.

Posted after 12 hours 22 minutes 40 seconds:
On a MSI340X:
1) 00X-devel.xzm module from the default ISO is activated (I never removed it)
2) on MSI340x laptop the volume control of the keyboard is working fine.
3) keyboard working fine. Finally, I got the trick: there are four basic settings us, de, ... . I was able to replace one of them from properties by cliking on deu and then choosing ca multilingual. Once set this way, there is no way I can reaccess properties from keyboard icon. However, now ca keyboard is set. Still bizarre.
4) dual display works fine thru panel > settings > session > application autostart allocation of a script using xrandr (I have an intel graphic card)
5) changes saved to an ext2 partition being tested presently. I forgot to set it before last reboot with panel > settings > session > general > automatically save option

Posted after 23 minutes 10 seconds:
Finally, save changes works well. Except that at logout instead of halting, I get in this intermediate step with the login manager: user: , password. So I have to halt thru mechanical pressure of the power button. :(
Last edited by francois on 31 Jan 2012, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#114 by Ahau » 30 Jan 2012, 06:44

francois wrote: @Ahau:
1) Concerning the aesthetics. You can have a look at phoenix xfce 4.8 version of pclinuxos. It looks good character wise and buttons wise and this is a distribution that works very fine. Its based on rpm, but they have adopted apt-get and synaptic as package managers. Vectolinux is good to have a look at, the presentation is very fine.
Thanks for the heads up -- I'll take a look at pclinuxos. I have looked at Vector and I like it, but I don't like the panel being at the top, and though the dock is fun eye candy, it got in the way for me. I have compiled it for Porteus but not yet configured it, and I doubt it will unless folks are asking for it. I also didn't like the fact that the panel isn't the full width of the screen and expands as you add items. I want things to stay put :)
francois wrote: 2) However, I like this one only panel of ours at the bottom of the screen.

3) This new version of porteus will automatically open windows outside of the surface occupied by the panel. Would it possible that windows open full screen instead with the panel overlapping the fullscreen window. After all, with the transparency option the former behavior is unecessary.
I think the panel may still get in the way, especially if you have multiple windows open. I was able to get windows to extend all the way to the bottom of the screen if I enable auto-hide for the panel. Give this a try: right click on a blank area inside the panel, hover over 'Panel' the and then click 'Panel Preferences'. Then tick the box next to "Automatically Show and Hide the Panel". Then click close. The panel should disappear and maximized windows should extend to the bottom. Now just move your mouse to the bottom of your screen and your panel will pop back up. Is this what you're looking for, or do you want to have a static panel that always overlaps maximized windows?
francois wrote: 4) I will follow your most recent instructions and give you feedback.

Posted after 12 hours 22 minutes 40 seconds:
1) 00X-devel.xzm module from the default ISO is activated (I never removed it)
2) on MSI340x laptop the volume control of the keyboard is working fine.
3) keyboard working fine. Finally, I got the trick: there are four basic settings us, de, ... . I was able to replace one of them from properties by cliking on deu and then choosing ca multilingual. Once set this way, there is no way I can reaccess properties from keyboard icon. However, now ca keyboard is set. Still bizarre.
4) dual display works fine thru panel > settings > session > application autostart allocation of a script using xrandr (I have an intel graphic card)
5) changes saved to an ext2 partition being tested presently. I forgot to set it before last reboot with panel > settings > session > general > automatically save option

Posted after 23 minutes 10 seconds:
Finally, save changes works well. Except that at logout instead of halting, I get in this intermediate step with the login manager: user: , password. So I have to halt thru mechanical pressure of the power button. :(
Very good regarding items 1-5, except number 3 -- you should be able to right click on the flag icon and select 'properties' in order to configure it. I was unable to access the properties window this way when I already had an instance of that window open -- maybe it didn't close down properly for you or was buried behind something else on your desktop and remained open?

Regarding the final line -- did you select 'logout' from the menu? If so, then going back to the login manager is the expected behaviour. If, however, you selected 'restart' or 'shut down' from the menu and it sent you back to the login manager, then I'm afraid your computer hates me, and the feeling is mutual! :evil:

Thanks, francois!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#115 by francois » 31 Jan 2012, 01:59

A second computer a hp pavilion 2713ca laptop is trying to get you mad:

Same behavior. At logout instead of halting, I get in this intermediate step with the login manager: user: , password. So I have to halt thru mechanical pressure of the power button. This wether I use the logout option from the xfce panel menu or the logout icon that I have add on the panel with panel > add new item > action button (logout, lock ... ) :cry:

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#116 by Ahau » 31 Jan 2012, 15:24

Thanks francois. Sorry to harp on this point, but I must know exactly what's happening: when you are logging out and are sent back to the login manager, whether you press the action button on the panel or select "logout" from the XFCE menu, you are presented with a popup that gives you a few options: Shut Down, Restart, Logout, and a check box to save your session. On this popup screen, which button are you pressing? If you press 'Logout', then returning to the Slim menu is the expected behaviour. If you are pressing 'Shut Down' or 'Restart', then you should not return to this menu.

Also, if and when you find yourself at the Slim menu, you can shut down the computer by typing 'halt' in the username field, and then entering the root password (toor). Reboot also works to reboot.

I've downloaded PCLinuxOS (I like the brushed metal look!) and Xubuntu. I already had Vector installed. I couldn't get PCL or Xubuntu to boot off my flashdrive yet, probably because I didn't read their documentation and I'm trying to boot them from subdirectories :D After running Porteus, I'm always dissapointed in how long other distros take to load (granted, PCL and Xubuntu are running off CD's), and how little they actually seem to include in 700MB (yes, they have more applications than default Porteus -- but 450MB worth? Nope!).

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#117 by fanthom » 31 Jan 2012, 15:36

@Ahau
another set - most stuff is specific to 64bits. yes - you must have separate trees for modules and tweaks for each edition (i can feel your pain now :) )
- remove all modules from "xfce-deps-from_lxde_module-x86-64-b4.xzm" except 'vte-' as everything is included in 002-xorg already
- remove 'kstuss' from "xfce-4.8+deps-x86_64-b4.xzm" as is included in 002-xorg
- suggestion: you have some free space so i would add the office suite (abiword, gnumeric?)
- xfce-4.8+deps-x86_64-b4.xzm/opt/porteus-scripts/xfce/convert-sq3 is not necessary in 64bits
- stripping: all /usr/doc, /usr/gtk-doc, etc.. can be removed. leave only one wallpaper (?)
all /usr/share/locale can be exported to locales-porteus module. we have decided to keep headers and *.a files in original modules so mixed files in devel wont be a problem anymore (since 2.0)
will send you my cleanup scripts for kde/lxde so you can see what else could be removed in XFCE.
(good cleanup script will let you reduce modules size significantly, my kde-4 is done almost perfectly)

Cheers

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#118 by francois » 31 Jan 2012, 20:05

No, I am not presented with a popup that gives me a few options: Shut Down, Restart, Logout, ... . I get directly to the login manager.

However, this behavior does not happen in always fresh mode. Thus, I am presented with a popup that gives me a few options: Shut Down, Restart, Logout, ..

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#119 by Ahau » 31 Jan 2012, 20:46

@fanthom -- good catches, thank you! I'll work on those (probably just stick vte into the xfce-4.8+deps module and get rid of the lxde replacement module altogether for 64-bit.

@francois -- that is quite bizzare. I'll do some more testing on an ext2 save.dat. My only thought at this point is to have you log in to always fresh mode and delete the following from your saved changes: ~/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-* and reboot into saved changes. Or, try with a clean changes folder if you haven't already.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#120 by francois » 31 Jan 2012, 22:30

I have to say that I am not working with a .dat folder. Should I have done that. I am rebooting in xfce now to answer your other question.

Posted after 13 minutes 4 seconds:
Excuse me for the delays. I am still at work and have to treat your question between two clients.

Good news-login: halt and password: toor will work for me. :D