USM for Slackware 14.1 proper

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

USM for Slackware 14.1 proper

Post#1 by sean » 14 May 2014, 03:15

This is about using USM in a standard Slackware 14.1 environment which I have installed on a separate box to learn with. I'm learnin. The desktop environment is Xfce4, the default DE for Slackware.

Here I have a root account and a user account.

I logged out as "user" and logged in as "root". Then went to the main menu/System and clicked on USM. I got and error dialog box saying:

Failed to execute command "/opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu /usr/bin/usmgui".
Failed to execute child process "/opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu" (no such file or directory)

I knew from a past post of brokenman's here that the "psu" was in reference to Penn State University, just up the road from me by the way, which is a mirror site for Slackware. So I didn't see any need for that path to be used in launching the USM GUI. Also notice there is a space in the first line between the psu and /usr.

My solution was to root edit the usm.desktop file in /usr/share/applications. I simply commented out the line:

##Exec=/opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu /usr/bin/usmgui (notice the space is there)

and placed the following line in the file:

Exec=/usr/bin/usmgui

This worked for me and the USMGUI is launched from the menu directly.

I learned this today and hope not to un-learn it anytime soon. Just thought it may be helpful to others.

Sean

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Re: USM for Slackware 14.1 proper

Post#2 by roadie » 14 May 2014, 04:14

Excellent job.
The best way to learn Slackware is to jump in with both feet and play with it.....dirty hands count bonus points.

Don't know about Brokenman's reference to PSU, but /opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu is also a symlink to /usr/bin/gnsu...it runs a sudo command to elevate guest's privileges to root in order to run USM.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#3 by sean » 14 May 2014, 04:23

roadie,

I'm sure you're correct about the psu & gnsu. I just remember the recent ssh problem and him directing folks to the PSU mirror for the immediate patch.

The space was most likely an accident. I'll look into psu & gnsu sometime soon. Right now I'm beat and sleepy.

Thanks for your kind words,

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 14 May 2014, 11:27

Good job. If you are learning slackware I would recommend only booting into the guest account. You break anything here. If you need root you can open a terminal and type: su followed by your root account password. After this you can launch any application as root: usmgui

PSU is in fact (Porteus su) which redirects people to whatever 'elevation' (GUI for su) program they have such as: kdesu, gnsu and others. I don't know what the standard xfce uses so I will find out and add it to USM.

Thanks for the workaround and happy slacking.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.