[Solved?] ...Palemoon/Slimjet alternative?

If you are looking for a specific 64-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 64-bit repos, please post a request for it here
fullmoonremix

[Solved?] ...Palemoon/Slimjet alternative?

Post#1 by fullmoonremix » 15 Jan 2016, 09:53

Salutations... :good:

Fifth is a (attractive?) ultra lightweight Webkit browser based on FLTK ...
(it's basically... a Palemoon/Slimjet alternative that incorporates some features from Opera while avoiding Gtk/Qt bloat)
http://fifth-browser.sourceforge.net/im ... ipedia.png
http://fifth-browser.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

IMHO... :oops: this could be a nice addition to the Porteus pantheon of modules... :wink:
(unfortunately it has not yet been posted to http://slakfinder.org)

Disclaimer: This is a module request ... https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/request :unknown:
so... if any response to this thread is "do it yourself"... keep in mind this is NOT a request for a tutorial.
A formal message requesting something.
Best Regards... :beer:

Posted by 73.112.18.27 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 31 Aug 2016, 09:44, edited 21 times in total.

aus9

Re: Palemoon/Slimjet alternative?

Post#2 by aus9 » 15 Jan 2016, 13:04

Hi

when I was on slack Porteus I attempted to build it....but it has some strange dependencies and I lost interest.
someone would need to build a number of dependencies to get this browser working

also those links are working for me

fullmoonremix

Post#3 by fullmoonremix » 15 Jan 2016, 13:25

I might try reaching out to the maintainer (author?) to suggest that the project would increase in popularity
if the 4 major package binaries (tgz... txz... rpm... deb...) were supported @ http://pkgs.org/.

I would take a shot @ compiling unfortunately... I'm doing a minimal PekWM/SlimDM build which is incompatible w/ 05-devel.xzm :wall:

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 14 Feb 2016, 12:40, edited 3 times in total.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Arch, Porteus-Nemesis 3.5

Post#4 by datruche » 29 Jan 2016, 02:01

A light browser taking from the efficient Opera UX based on a port of Webkit to Fltk? Intrigated!
Would be surprised if it was as efficient as Xombrero. Have you tried it? On my 6 years old Atom netbook the later takes 75 sec --and 210 MiB-- to load 40 urls. That's a... fifth of what Chromium takes :)

Palemoon is rather fast too; but Slimjet? C'mon ha ha it's close to Chromium! that's nowhere to be light.
Last edited by datruche on 29 Jan 2016, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.

fullmoonremix

Post#5 by fullmoonremix » 29 Jan 2016, 11:37

@ aus9... you are correct. Recently... I have attempted to compile it's primary dependency (webkitFLTK).

It uses Cmake... however it's source configuration contains commands that Cmake rejects. :wall:
I tried to comment out most of them... but still no cigar. Compiling this... is above my paygrade.

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 29 Jan 2016, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by datruche » 29 Jan 2016, 12:44

Build finished in > one hour time and jeeeh... we're talking of a 260 + 55 MiB for webkitfltk andd fifth!

fullmoonremix

Post#7 by fullmoonremix » 29 Jan 2016, 14:20

Wow... what's your secret?... :unknown:
I thought I had to reach out to the developer.

Did it require Cairo (eg. nVidia-legacy/Opengrads... openGL and "cairo" w/out Mesa)?

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by datruche » 29 Jan 2016, 23:19

No secret fullmoon, just a bit of a lyier, by omision at least: built it on Arch desktop, then installed on old Atom laptop, which would have taken half a day to do provided all went well. For testing (along Qupzilla, Palemoon, Brave and the bunch i'm testing atm, through a real-life bench i have fun developping using daily scenarios !).
Man, never ever seen a browser starting so fast the *first time*, almost jumped from the chair !-)

I've had this bits of infos for you:

Code: Select all

Name      : fifth
Version       : 0.4-1
URL           : http://fifth-browser.sourceforge.net
AUR URL    : https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fifth
Licences    : GPL3
Votes        : 7
Depends On : webkitfltk fltk sqlite liburlmatch physfs libxslt curl harfbuzz-icu libjpeg-turbo cairo
Optional Deps  : None
Netbook's on Arch as well but if fifth proves to be half as efficient as it is fast to start, maybe I'll make a xzm for porteus nemesis.

fullmoonremix

Post#9 by fullmoonremix » 30 Jan 2016, 01:47

And a possible xzm for slackware Porteus?

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#10 by datruche » 30 Jan 2016, 18:03

I'll see that; just evaluating a browser that you made me discover and I compiled to provides you with its requirements. I thought you were going to compile it.

OK, I began testing Fifth usability; an old netbook being what seemed to me a good test platform for that goal.
First, all used I am surfing with a few different browsers (Opera 2001-2012, Firefox with Pentadactyl, Xombrero or Elinks), this one needs some use before *I* the user become a bit efficient on it. So what follows comes from a fifth *newbie*.
  • Fifth fits somewhere between Dillo (speed, ultra minimal UX), Tor (online privacy-security), Xombrero (footprint), with a bit of good old Opera settings (most of which I couldn't use properly but that may be me).
  • It's not faster than, say, any Gecko* or Webkit browser to load pages. When pages are loaded though, then Fifth is a speed beast. I had *no* lag at all while surfing on ten opened pages, incl. a webmail.
  • It's also a Google-tracking detector: whether I came upon one of M Master-of-our-digital-data's services or one of its numerous background tracking tools, Fifth would warn and politely request I knowingly opt-in.
  • Crashed when I loaded a 40 urls session of mine (mostly tech sites). Shortcuts are very sparse (Fifth's on the other side of the force than Firefox even without Pentadactyl) and same goes for the command-line options (yet it handles some of the main useful ones). So usability for my habits is even lower than Midori --which I won't use primarily for that reason.
  • Ah and it's a benchmark (the synthetic ones) killer: I mean it gets the lowest score on Octane/Jetstream/... while being fast, just showing off that what these benchmarks score is the browsers' ability to run themselves.

fullmoonremix

Post#11 by fullmoonremix » 30 Jan 2016, 21:18

WebkitFltk wasn't compiling w/cmake so I threw in the towel... :wall:
(...@ least temporarily.)

I'll take another shot @ compiling probably tomorrow... :oops:
(I'm still struggling with a 003-PekWM build.)

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#12 by datruche » 30 Jan 2016, 21:30

rava wrote:check out CorePure64 and TinyCorePure64.

Its modules can be loaded into Porteusl they are also xz compressed, but it uses a different approach to the module creation, you have to follow strict precise rules when creating a new module.
This is promising info by Rava that might leverage your effort packaging fifth on Porteus. My two cents. fifth installs and runs fine on TC 6.4.1 x86 as well. I tested it today!

EDIT
@fullmoon I stumbled into ArchLinux packages manager for Porteus, which is Arch binary to Porteus (Slackware) module converter, by Neko. Just while I'm having Flashpeak-Slimjet-5.0.10 passes through some real-world scenarios on a low-pro netbook ;) Wonder if you tried it?

fullmoonremix

Post#13 by fullmoonremix » 02 Feb 2016, 10:46

I did the TinyCore dance 5yrs ago. Due to excessive trolling (by it's moderators/maintainers?)... :wall: I eventually went back to Slitaz. :unknown:
Also... I played with Nemesis. Still in any case I will not go... "all in" until I perfect Porteus 003-pekwm. My goal is to make "Fifth" the foudation of 003-pekwm.

When 003-pekwm is complete (my version)... I will make a Nemesis version.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#14 by datruche » 02 Feb 2016, 12:11

@fullmoon some feedbacks upon trying Arch binary to Porteus (Slackware) module converter by Neko, or loading Tinycore webkitFLTK and fifth modules into Porteus ?

pekwm, what libraries it uses please?

fullmoonremix

Post#15 by fullmoonremix » 02 Feb 2016, 15:21

PekWm only requires xcb. I the idea behind 003-pekwm is to achieve minimal FLTK/Mesa dependency while totally throwing Gtk/Qt under the bus. =@
You can get PekWM from Slakfinder.org or the USM. The only reason I'm using FLTK is "Fifth". I must admit... I've been heavily influenced by MenuetOS and TinyCore.

Hmmm... TinyCore modules? Now there's an idea... who's time has come.
Perhaps I'll look into that and/or neko's converter tonight. Still no luck with Cmake.

I forgot to mention... 003-PekWm will include IPS hardening (eg. Vuurmuur... Suricata...).

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 02 Feb 2016, 23:20, edited 4 times in total.