Pulseaudio 2.0

If you are looking for a specific 64-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 64-bit repos, please post a request for it here
sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: Pulseaudio 2.0

Post#16 by sci_fi » 27 Jul 2012, 20:39

Yes, you are correct about pavucontrol. I run porteus fresh each time, with a specially constructed configuration xzm file that is part of my "fresh start". After running pavucontrol, I could have simply copied /etc/pulse/default.pa into my configuration directory and then created a new configuration xzm. Could have avoided manually editing that way. Didn't think of it at the time.

Thank you again for your guidance. Getting hdmi to fully work with my hdtv has been a goal for some time. On to other things.

sci_fi

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#17 by edge226 » 27 Jul 2012, 22:23

well congrats for your success. Lack of audio definitely makes a computer much less than it should be.

amplatfus
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: MATE Porteus-v5.0rc1

Post#18 by amplatfus » 20 Jul 2017, 22:39

sci_fi wrote:@edge226
Thank you for all of your help.

I can report success with hdmi audio. There probably are more elegant solutions, but this is working for me:

Details below:
System details:
Acer AO-722, 64 bit
Porteus 1.2 64bit

What I did:
1. Install Pulseaudio
2. Install Pavucontrol
3. Install alsa-plugins
4. Modify ~/.asoundrc (see details below)
In a console "aplay -l" will give a list of audio cards.
Note the card and device number of the hdmi device. This pair, card #, device number, should be used in ~/ .asoundrc.

Contents of ~/.asoundrc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pcm.!default {
type pulse
# If defaults.namehint.showall is set to off in alsa.conf, then this is
# necessary to make this pcm show up in the list returned by
# snd_device_name_hint or aplay -L
hint.description "Default Audio Device"
}
ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3" #####Use your card and device number#####
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
rate 44100
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Reboot
6. Run pavucontrol.
Select output devices tag.
Insure that the hdmi device is set as the default/fallback device. (click button on right side)

7. Play an audio file. It should be audible on your hdmi device.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To make hdmi the default output device for audio (if it is not already):
In a console type: pacmd list-sinks
(Note the index of your hdmi output card)

Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa
Near the bottom of the file is a commented out command: #set-default-sink N
Make the command active by deleting the “#”.
Replace N with the index of your hdmi card
Reboot
hdmi should now the the default audio output
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some url's I found helpful:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... rfectSetup (thanks to edge226)
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... aultDevice
http://linux.die.net/man/5/default.pa
http://linux.die.net/man/5/pulse-client.conf
http://linux.die.net/man/5/pulse-daemon.conf
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/PulseAudio#Co ... ulse_Audio
http://superuser.com/questions/210617/h ... -boot-ubun
Hi, I know it is a long time ago. Could you help me with pulseaudio.xzm file? I need it for LXDE Porteus, requested by Firefox.

Thank you so much!
Porteus-v5.0. rc1 MATE. Thank you all dev team and @Blaze for helping to configure it, thanks to entire Porteus community members for great topics.
Kernel: 000-kernel-5.4.8,xzm

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#19 by sci_fi » 20 Jul 2017, 23:09

@amplatfus
Hello,

I am currently running Porteus 3.2.2 xfce both 32 and 64 bit. Pulseaudio is included in the distro so I do not have an lxde specific version.

First suggestion would be to try usm to download the appropriate pulseaudio .xzm files and try with your lxde version. Probably will be some unresolved dependencies.

Second suggestion would be to extract the pulesaudio files from a 3.2.2 distribution and create an xzm module with them. Again, as lxde is not one of the currently available standard desktop environments you may have to chase some dependencies.

I am sure some of the Porteus experts could assist better than I.

The good news is that pulseaudio in 3.2.2 (at least in xfce from my limited experience) works out of the box for hdmi video and audio (hurrah). The one gotcha that I found is that you may need to manually set the audio output configuration using audiomixer and insure that is is active. No modified .asoundconf files are necessary.

I did experiment with totally disabling pulseaudio and using modified .asoundconf files. I did actually get this to work but abandoned it when I figured out that pulseaudio worked as described above.

Hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
sci_fi

amplatfus
Samurai
Samurai

Post#20 by amplatfus » 21 Jul 2017, 06:15

sci_fi wrote:@amplatfus
Hello,

I am currently running Porteus 3.2.2 xfce both 32 and 64 bit. Pulseaudio is included in the distro so I do not have an lxde specific version.

First suggestion would be to try usm to download the appropriate pulseaudio .xzm files and try with your lxde version. Probably will be some unresolved dependencies.

Second suggestion would be to extract the pulesaudio files from a 3.2.2 distribution and create an xzm module with them. Again, as lxde is not one of the currently available standard desktop environments you may have to chase some dependencies.

I am sure some of the Porteus experts could assist better than I.

The good news is that pulseaudio in 3.2.2 (at least in xfce from my limited experience) works out of the box for hdmi video and audio (hurrah). The one gotcha that I found is that you may need to manually set the audio output configuration using audiomixer and insure that is is active. No modified .asoundconf files are necessary.

I did experiment with totally disabling pulseaudio and using modified .asoundconf files. I did actually get this to work but abandoned it when I figured out that pulseaudio worked as described above.

Hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
sci_fi
Hi and thank you for fast and detailed reply. Unfortunately pulseaudio .xzm is not listed in USM. So I will need help in order to extract it from 3.2.2.
If someone could help, please advice. I am still searching. If I found something I will post the update here.

Thank you and best regards,
amplatfus
Porteus-v5.0. rc1 MATE. Thank you all dev team and @Blaze for helping to configure it, thanks to entire Porteus community members for great topics.

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#21 by sci_fi » 21 Jul 2017, 09:52

Take a look at
https://pkgs.org/download/pulseaudio

There are several slackware pulseaudio packages listed here. These can be converted to .xzm with the txz2xzm. Here again you may need to resolve some dependencies but these should all be listed in the documentation listed with the .txz file. If nothing else, examining the contents of the .txz file should also indicate which files to look for in porteus if you choose to extract them from there rather than using the .txz files.

Unfortunately, I believe pulseaudio does have quite a few dependencies so resolving them can be tedious.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

sci_fi

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#22 by sci_fi » 21 Jul 2017, 10:02

@amplatfus

Please check usm again. I found pulseaudio available there (I only checked 64 bit, however). Not sure why you couldn't find it before. You may need to update the usm database section by section. I have found that the "update all" feature is not currently working. It hangs.

usm usually resolves dependencies and could solve the problem for you.

Best regards,

sci_fi

amplatfus
Samurai
Samurai

Post#23 by amplatfus » 21 Jul 2017, 10:46

sci_fi wrote:@amplatfus

Please check usm again. I found pulseaudio available there (I only checked 64 bit, however). Not sure why you couldn't find it before. You may need to update the usm database section by section. I have found that the "update all" feature is not currently working. It hangs.

usm usually resolves dependencies and could solve the problem for you.

Best regards,

sci_fi
Thank you. I checked also for 64 bit. But maybe because I have LXDE. Could you please download it and share it? I should give a try. I know that might not work because of my LXDE, but have to try.

Many thanks,
amplatfus

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#24 by sci_fi » 21 Jul 2017, 16:57

@amplatfu

Hi,
I tried to download via usm but because I already have pulseaudio as part of the 3.2.2 distro, usm will not simply download the file. According to usm, the slackware repo is where the txz module resides. You can find it (and other possible choices) at:
https://pkgs.org/download/pulseaudio

I think your best bet is to download from there. The download site will list dependencies for the pulseaudio binary module as well.

Another thought:
There is a group of Porteus users who have implemented LXDE in the recent releases. The user name "neko" is one that I seem to remember. They may have already solved the lxde-pulseaudio question. I have not tried the lxde versions so cannot advise further.

Lastly, I expect you could compile pulseaudio from source for your system. I believe the slackware distro site can provide the required files and instructions. I have VERY limited experience compiling modules from source. I think there are general instructions for this available via the Porteus website, however. If you choose this option, the real Porteus gurus (fanthom, brokenman, etc) can provide guidance.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

sci_fi

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#25 by sci_fi » 21 Jul 2017, 17:14

@amplatfu

I tried the usm download again. it seemed to work this time. the link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5i66scts2 ... 6_64-1.txz

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
sci_fi

amplatfus
Samurai
Samurai

Post#26 by amplatfus » 21 Jul 2017, 19:28

sci_fi wrote:@amplatfu

I tried the usm download again. it seemed to work this time. the link is:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5i66scts2 ... 6_64-1.txz

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
sci_fi
Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately is not working, so I have to leave the LXDE and start XFce,

All the best!
amplatfus

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#27 by sci_fi » 22 Jul 2017, 10:47

Yes, I also changed to xfce because lxde was no longer one of the official porteus desktop environments. xfce has worked out pretty well for me, however. Note that there is a special module in usm for pulseaudio in xfce. You may need to install it yourself as I am not certain it is included in the xfce distro.

The good news is that hdmi audio should work out of the box in xfce (has for me). You may need to manually configure using audiomixer.

Good luck.
sci_fi

amplatfus
Samurai
Samurai

Post#28 by amplatfus » 22 Jul 2017, 13:27

sci_fi wrote:Yes, I also changed to xfce because lxde was no longer one of the official porteus desktop environments. xfce has worked out pretty well for me, however. Note that there is a special module in usm for pulseaudio in xfce. You may need to install it yourself as I am not certain it is included in the xfce distro.

The good news is that hdmi audio should work out of the box in xfce (has for me). You may need to manually configure using audiomixer.

Good luck.
sci_fi
I changed from lxde because certificate problems with latest version of chrome and because firefox requires pulse audio.
Now I have another problem in XFCE. No sound with Chrome under root. I have opened another thread: Google Chrome with root http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=7078

Thank you for replies sci_fi,
amplatfus

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Pulseaudio 2.0

Post#29 by tome » 26 Jul 2017, 17:20

Instead of pulseaudio you can install http://download.salixos.org/x86_64/14.1 ... ix14.1.txz (25.00 KB) to enable sound in Firefox.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

amplatfus
Samurai
Samurai

Pulseaudio 2.0

Post#30 by amplatfus » 26 Jul 2017, 19:57

Thank you for post @tome
amplatfus