Skype-4.3.0.37 with pulseaudio

If you are looking for a specific 32-bit package and you can't find it in any of the 32-bit repos, please post a request for it here.
Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Skype-4.3.0.37 with pulseaudio

Post#1 by Payoon » 19 Aug 2014, 14:18

For the next or overnext release of Porteus I would be glad to have a working Skype-4.3.0.37 with pulseaudio, that I can run as root (maybe not possible due to pulseaudio) or as user guest. Maybe with a short description. What I have assembled now is a Skype module that works until after login, but I have no audio (video not tested yet). I have a pulseaudio 5 module that I cannot start even as user pulse.
bash-4.2$ pulseaudio --start
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/var/lib/pulse/.pulse-cookie': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '/var/lib/pulse/.pulse-cookie': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory (/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse): Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {9ccd29a2afedfa52c91a072900000007}unix:/tmp/pulse-uM7PSeQZt0lA/native, refusing to start/autospawn.
bash-4.2$
So I'm stuck at this point. Maybe someone with more experience can make a portable/standalone module that a dummie can use.

Payoon

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: Skype-4.3.0.37 with pulseaudio

Post#2 by sci_fi » 20 Aug 2014, 11:41

Hi Payoon,

FWIW I have skype 4.3... working on my 32 bit system. See link below for posting which lists modules.

http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3703 (sci_fi; Aug 14 response)

I have since concluded that the alsalib module is not necessary. the others appear to be necessary both to get skype 4.3 to run and then to properly have audio via pulseaudio. I have had limited success with bdheeman's slackbuild file. I was able to compile but still required the modules listed above to get skype to work.

Hope this is of some value to you.

Best regards,

sci_fi

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 20 Aug 2014, 12:33

The first thing to try is to create the files/directories that pulse is complaining about

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse
touch /var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

bdheeman
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus 3.0.1+ MATE/XFCE

Post#4 by bdheeman » 20 Aug 2014, 14:50

Payoon wrote:So I'm stuck at this point. Maybe someone with more experience can make a portable/standalone "pulseaudio" module that a dummie can use.
IMHO, why invent the wheel when a pulseaudio.SlackBuild is already available on SBo.
OTOH, why do you want to run pulseaudio as root?

See Also: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 756#p27057
--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman (http://bdheeman.BlogSpot.in/)
"Working together, works! The proof is GNU/Linux and F/LOSS Projects;
Do you too voluntarily work on or contribute to making any difference?"

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 21 Aug 2014, 02:27

After building the pulseaudio from slackbuilds I also encountered this error:

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ pulseaudio -D --start
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/home/guest/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '/home/guest/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/home/guest/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '/home/guest/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
guest@porteus:~$ mkdir -p /home/guest/.config/pulse
guest@porteus:~$ touch /home/guest/.pulse-cookie
guest@porteus:~$ pulseaudio -D --start
Success.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Post#6 by Payoon » 21 Aug 2014, 14:53

Hi folks,
after all the hassle with that pulseaudio I have adapted a method the people from the puppy world have developed ( thanks to saintless, oscar talks e.al.). http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86808. You don't need pulseaudio. Just an errorfree starting skype 4.3.0.37.xzm and the standard skype.xzm from porteus modules ( imho 4.2.0.11). Here's how to do it:

Part One
- activate the skype 4.3.0.37.xzm module and start the application
- tick the autologin field in the popup mask !!!
- login with yout standard username and password
- in the options menu deactivate the autoupdate function !!!
- close skype 4.3.0.37 from the tray

Part Two
- extract the standard skype porteus module with xzm2dir
- inside the folder create a root directory
- from the skype 4.3.0.37 installation copy the folder .Skype ( to be found in root dir) to the freshly created root directory of the extracted porteus skype module
- Rename the directory to something like skype-4.3_nopulse and make a module with dir2xzm

That's all. Now You can use Skype again and You can run as root. For me it works fine (audio/video everything). But I don't know how long until MS will close that loophole somehow.
Best regards to all

Payoon

cttan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 and 4.0 64bit KDE

Post#7 by cttan » 23 Aug 2014, 20:48

Hi Payoon,

Thank you for the workaround. It works on x86_64 as well. :good:

ztrapl
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus 3.1 KDE4 32bit

Post#8 by ztrapl » 25 Aug 2014, 13:31

Hi Payoon,
Also, thank you for solving this problem.
Skype 4.2.0.13 works again. :good:

tekumze
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Fedora 21

Post#9 by tekumze » 17 Jan 2015, 02:51

Try this. Maybe it will help you? - tricks for skype 4.3 and pulseaudio. :)