Here you can post about non-standard installation methods
(for example when using grub4dos).
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Official Installation Guide for Version 1.1

Post#1 by Ahau » 23 Jun 2011, 16:07

This section of the forum is primarily dedicated to non-standard installations of Porteus. If you came here looking for the Official Installation guide, you can find it here.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

sam
Ronin
Ronin

Post#2 by sam » 20 Jan 2012, 01:00

All I get when clicking on Porteus Install Guide references is a 'This link cannot be found'. Not too helpful for newcomers. What do you folks suggest I do as I would like to Install the 64 bit version to a partition on my main hard drive.
With hope and thanks,
sam

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Official Installation Guide for Version 1.0

Post#3 by Ahau » 20 Jan 2012, 06:49

Hello and welcome, sam!

Sorry about the install guide -- the documentation section of our website appears to be suffering from some technical issues, which is why the link isn't working.

For the time being, you can read the same document inside the Porteus ISO, at /boot/docs/install.txt. You can either burn the ISO image file to a CD, mount the cd on a loop (in linux), or extract the contents of the ISO using archiving software such as 7zip (linux or windows). This guide has a section on hard drive (aka 'frugal') installs. It should be pretty straightforward (copy the /boot/ and /porteus/ folders from the ISO to your hard drive, and execute win_start_here.hta if you're running windows or lin_start_here.sh if you're running linux), unless you have other OS's on that hard drive and want to continue using your existing bootloader. If that's the case, let us know what bootloader you're using and what your setup looks like, and we can get you started in the right direction.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Official Installation Guide for Version 1.0

Post#4 by brokenman » 23 Jan 2012, 00:58

Docs section is now working.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Imawesome
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 4.0

Post#5 by Imawesome » 18 Mar 2020, 12:56

Porteus LXDE successfuly booted in live mode but after first installation onto other USB, it shows blank screen with blinking cursor. The laptop's fan makes noice much more than before at that moment. I have never seen any problem while installing Debian and Linux mint (both 32 bit) on the same laptop. My laptop is lenovo G500 with 2GB RAM and 500 GB HDD. I am not trying to touch windows' partitions for some reasons so I installed porteus onto a 16GB USB stick. I am booting live porteus with 2GB USB stick. Although the laptop is able to boot 64-bit iso porteus but I am trying 32 bit one. A 64 bit laptop can usually run 32 bit os as far as I know. I tried 64 bit iso yesterday, it did not even boot in live mode. Can anyone help ?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#6 by Ed_P » 18 Mar 2020, 18:15

Did you read the USB_INSTALLATION.txt file in the ISOs?

BTW At some point I will split off your posting, and it's replies, to a new topic.
Ed