The best laptop fitting linux or porteus OS

Here you can post about your various experiences with PC hardware. You can also post about hardware that is not compatible with the linux kernel or not recommended for use with Porteus.
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: The best laptop fitting linux or porteus OS

Post#16 by francois » 26 Mar 2013, 18:20

Just to report that the toshiba satelite z930 is quite happy with porteus 2.0. :D After some research on the ultraslim boxes, it came out to be the most linux compliant laptop I could find on the market here in Montreal, Canada, last fall. The price was really competitive. Equipped with an impeccably crafted magnesium alloy casing, it looks great. But it is incredibly light.

Here are the specs:
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?l ... &category=
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#17 by francois » 02 Apr 2013, 00:57

There is a little problem here for me. On this z930 laptop, I get some temporary freezing of external keypad and mouse: logitech mk320, and external mouse only: logitech laser. :(

At first glance, I though the computer was the problem. However, I am on crunchbang actually and I do not get that type of behaviour.

After verification, in always fresh mode, I get the same behaviour, but with all my modules left in. After the complete cleanup of the modules section. The problematic behaviour subsides. :)

I will come back to report on the faulty module. :x
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

golimar
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Win7, Debian, Knoppix, Porteus

Post#18 by golimar » 25 Apr 2013, 10:19

I downloaded Porteus a couple days ago and everything seems to work fine. It's a HP ProBook 6470b.
I don't need so many features though, so I haven't tested it too much:
- Boot from HD with ISO/vmlinuz/initrd stored in my Windows NTFS partition (I don't have an optical drive and can't use a separate partition for Linux)
- Detects my wifi hardware and sound hardware
- Web browser and telnet (no netcat though!!)
- mplayer