Porteus-v1.1rc2-i486 ready for testing

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Porteus-v1.1rc2-i486 ready for testing

Post#16 by Ahau » 29 Nov 2011, 20:22

Damnit, I really need to start re-reading the 'Known Bugs' section before posting bug reports! :%)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#17 by brokenman » 30 Nov 2011, 13:19

Thanks for the report Oranus. At this stage i would say the vga detect is still experimental so keep posting any issues you have. They will help fanthom to refine the function.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#18 by fanthom » 30 Nov 2011, 13:48

@oranus
this error could not necessairly be vga-detect related. are you able to recreate it?
if yes then please upload whole content of /var/log/ folder to mediafire (or any other storage site) and i'll check what's causing this.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Seq_Res
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#19 by Seq_Res » 09 Dec 2011, 13:42

I downloaded rc2 several times, and md5sum check all said okay; but when run lin_start_here.sh, failed at
the md5sum check stage.

@Ahau,
I tried to fire up V1.0 using V09 syslinux, as you suggested on May 26, but it does not work .
lilo works on this computer, but not on other public ones; I hope Porteus works on them, and
hope also V1.1 may work like bootinst.sh in V09 but not lin_start_here.sh in V1.0.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#20 by Ahau » 09 Dec 2011, 15:24

@ Seq_Res

RE: booting syslinux -- can you still get V09 running? To try and trace all steps, I'd suggest installing V09 to your drive, and making sure that boots up fine; then change out the kernel and initrd, modify the porteus.cfg (without reinstalling syslinux), and then change out all of your modules. If the syslinux menu still comes up but you Porteus wont boot, then you know the problem is in your config, and you can modify it to point to all of the right places.

RE: failing at the md5 check -- I'm not sure what the problem is here -- try calculating the md5 for the whole ISO and compare that against the md5 posted on the server. If that matches, then double check the path you give to your porteus data during the install process, and make sure it's pointing to the new folders and not any old porteus installation. Also, does the md5sum checker running and reporting that some or all of your modules don't match the expected md5sum, or is the checker failing to run in the first place? If it's failing to run, please tell us the error message, if any, and what operating system you are using while running the install script.

I hope this helps :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#21 by brokenman » 09 Dec 2011, 19:04

You should be able to continue passed the failed md5sum check (in the case that i erred in creating the md5sums). If it is in fact the case that the file is corrupt then you WILL have problems.

In any case without more information it will be difficult to ascertain where things went wrong. I would follow Ahau's advice and start from the ground up. I would also make sure you test one one single linux partition and not have the boot and porteus folders on separate partitions.

Unpack the ISO and do: md5sum vmlinuz
and then check it is: 69d94ff5bb591f81193ccfb9e2b42557

Seq_Res
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#22 by Seq_Res » 12 Dec 2011, 12:44

@brokenman,
yes, I did it, with only 2 correct md5sums (vmlinuz and initrd). very nice desktop. thanks.

@Ahau,
like in V1.0, grub in this rc2 does not work universally. It stops at a line of messenge on this computer :
"syslinux 4.04 CHS 0x4e616eb0 ... Peter Anvin et al"

I have functional V09 and .lzm modules in my computer. I can only do some elementary manipulation in linux and
am not sure if I can do as you suggested; before i try, I hope to kwow:
1. after installation, can 000-kernel.lzm in V09 and initrd.lz be substituted by kernel.XZM and initrd.XZ respectively ?
and also all the modules in /base ?
2. how many changes should be made in porteus.cfg ? less than 5 or 10 ?
3. is porteus.cfg is the only config file to be changed ?
thank you very much, Ahau !

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#23 by brokenman » 12 Dec 2011, 15:11

There were MANY changes from v09 to v1+ across many files. It will be difficult to successfully mix files from both versions ... but perhaps there is a way. Most notably the linuxrc file is quite different and the kernel changes were also many. Most notably the change from .lz to .xz. Your initrd must be .lz in v09 and .xz anything above.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#24 by Ahau » 12 Dec 2011, 16:37

Are you using an HP computer? See this thread for reference: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=797

The concept that I have in mind would not involve mixing anywhere except for the bootloader and config file, and it would not require any work in the command line beyond running the installation script. I haven't tested this myself, but will do so in order to refine the process if this doesn't work for you, or isn't clear:

Step 1: Start with a clean drive -- that is to say, remove any Porteus installation that you've previously installed

Step 2: Install Porteus V09 by extracting the ISO image to the drive and running /boot/bootinst.sh

Step 3: Reboot and check that SYSLINUX is properly installed and boots you into Porteus V09 from that drive.

Step 4: Extract the Porteus V1.1 ISO image, but place it in a subdirectory (for now) on the drive, for example, PV1.1
At this point, your directory tree will look like this (where sdXY is your target device, such as sda1 or sdb3):
/mnt/sdXY/boot (boot directory, with kernel and initrd from V09)
/mnt/sdXY/porteus (porteus modules for V09)
/mnt/sdXY/PV1.1/boot (boot directory for V1.1)
/mnt/sdXY/PV1.1/porteus (porteus modules for V1.1)

Step 5: open /mnt/sdXY/boot/porteus.cfg (you can do this with a text editor, such as leafpad or kwrite in GUI mode) and modify the first boot entry (each entry starts with the line "LABEL" and ends with the line "ENDTEXT", so that it reads:

Code: Select all

LABEL xconf
MENU LABEL Graphics mode (KDE)
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd.xz vga=791 changes=/porteus/
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus the best way we can.
    Try to autoconfigure graphics
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT
All you are changing is the APPEND line, to point to initrd.xz instead of initrd.lz, and removing some other stuff (autoexec=, etc., ) which is no longer needed to boot V1.1.

Step 6: Change files over to 1.1: This can be done from the GUI also, using your favorite file manager (in Porteus, it would be konqueror or pcmanfm). Copy the files 'vmlinuz' and 'intird.xz' from /mnt/sdXY/PV1.1/boot/ to /mnt/sdXY/boot/, and delete the 'initrd.lz' that is still there in /mnt/sdXY/boot/. Then, go to /mnt/sdXY/porteus, and delete everything in this directory. Finally, go to /mnt/sdXY/PV1.1/porteus, and copy all files and folders, and paste them into /mnt/sdXY/porteus.

Step 7: Reboot and select the first menu item. This should load the new kernel and initrd.xz that you copied into your /boot/ folder, and those will then load and run all the modules for V1.1.

So, what you are doing is preserving your installation of Syslinux 3.86 and using that to boot all of the files (including the newer kernel and initrd) for V1.1. You should be able to use this method (copy over kernel, initrd, and everything from the /porteus directory, without upgrading/installing the bootloader) to use future releases of Porteus as well.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if it doesn't work.

Good luck!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#25 by brokenman » 12 Dec 2011, 19:26

Some extra advice to add to Ahau's great knowledge.

Exchange your UPPERCASE letters for lower case just in case of fat32 naughtiness. I don't remember if it preserves or not.

Also the linuxrc resides inside the initrd.xz .... and this is where many of the changes i spoke of are happening between 09 and 1.0. caching is one i can think of but prob more. This may well work, and going by Ahau's knowledge of Porteus it probably will!!

I havn't tried it ... but i have reservations. Keep us posted.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#26 by Hamza » 12 Dec 2011, 19:41

Hi, Seq_Res

Normally, this is not recommended and sometimes dangerous to mix the version and kernel. If you did this, this may explain us what is wrong on your installation. I seen you have a problem related to md5sum checker. Is it possible to post on pastebin.com your install script which it give you the error.

I am assuming you are using an usb disk on this example,
I have experimented this type of problem when I made an image of my usb device and I restore it after and it failed 2 times on 10 times.
Did you used a software to scan your usb device and view/edit/remove something inside your usb disk like an antivirus ?
Does your usb disk have more than 2 partitions like one for fat32 and another for ext4 ?

You cannot to replace the 000 module and the initrd file to mix the version. This is a bad thing to do, this may crash your system at boot because you haven't the same version between the kernel module and core module (vmlinuz and 000-kernel.xzm). Your system may be not able to boot because as brokenman's advised, there were a lot of changes between v0.9 and v1.0 and we have implemented some new features and fixed some bugs. So if you replace the initrd, you are indirectly making your system unable to works correctly.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#27 by brokenman » 13 Dec 2011, 03:58

Make sure you wear safety equipment .... it could explode !! :P

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#28 by Ahau » 13 Dec 2011, 15:47

Just to clarify my instructions above -- in it's final state, you will have the kernel, initrd, and modules all from V1.1. You will not (and should not) mix the kernel and initrd from one version with the modules from another (especially 000-kernel.xzm, as it holds all of the kernel drivers and must match up to the kernel). The only thing that is left over from your initial V0.9 installation is SYSLINUX, which will remain installed to your devices MBR.

Ok, Ok, you'll also still have the old V09 documentation in /boot/docs... :)

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#29 by Hamza » 13 Dec 2011, 16:08

Ahau is right, You can mix the boot installation files like syslinux..but this is very not recommended to replace these files

vmlinuz
initrid
000-kernel
001-core
002-xorg

All others files are not really important but they can be used to have the better user experience.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Seq_Res
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#30 by Seq_Res » 14 Dec 2011, 13:03

@Ahau, Hamza, and brokenman,
thank you all. I will study your replies and then decide.
In my view, V09 is much better, since it booted all the public computers available for me.
I hope V1.0, V1.1 and 1.x to 2.x, 3x may keep its universality.
thanks !