Porteus-v1.1rc1-i486 ready for testing

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Porteus-v1.1rc1-i486 ready for testing

Post#1 by brokenman » 03 Nov 2011, 02:24

Latest Porteus v1.1rc1 can be found in the testing folder:
Files are here

The ATI driver will be uploaded sometime tomorrow. If someone could generate an Nvidia driver for me that would be great. As usual please test thoroughly and report any bugs (other than known ones) back here.

There may have been a problem when generating md5sums for the packages inside the ISO, so you may get a warning during installation. I would fix it and upload anew but unfortunately it took all day to upload and i am unable to patch this on the server.

ISO contains linux kernel 3.1, updated graphic stack and various package updates.
Many other improvements are mentioned in detailed changelog:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... c33dc210ae

Last minute addition is a brand new 'vga-detect' cheatcode which tells linuxrc to discover GPU and load appropriate nVidia/AMD properitary driver from /porteus/optional folder. More can be found in this thread:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=837
please test it and report success/fail.
(Ahau - please update /boot/cheatcodes.txt doc with short description what this cheat does)

Notes:
disabled stub for polsbou and enabled STA driver (GMA500)
support for dual graphics cards
moved Consolekit to 002 (wread)
crystal theme - Blaze

KNOWN BUGS
Random .ICEAuthority errors when using root console from guest account. This is bugging the hell out of me so any suggestions are welcome. I've tried permission variations ... you can try chmod -R 4777 /tmp/.ICE* and see how that works for you although it is not the ideal fix.

Booting into text mode and then running startx fails.

THANKS Fanthom for looking after 32bit while i was away. Also big thanks for fixing some bugs that were outside my area of knowledge.

EDIT:\\
added some additional info - fanthom
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Porteus-v1.1rc1-i486 ready for testing

Post#2 by Ahau » 03 Nov 2011, 05:55

:Bravo: :Bravo: I've got it up and running, no issues to report as of yet. Nice work!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

snake
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus-v3.1 64bit KDE

Post#3 by snake » 03 Nov 2011, 09:03

Thanks a lot for rc1! :beer:

after quick test:
Works fine on Lenovo 3000 V100

with eeePC 1005HA:
on starting KDE (guest account) there comes error on setting up inter-process communication for KDE.
"Could not read network connection list" /home/guest/.DCOPserver_porteus__0
starting manually dcopserver does not help, as missing file is created to /root directory.

while trying to log in a s a root on kde
"call to lnusertemp failed" (temporary directory full?). Check your installation. comes out.

I will look closer later today for more issues and check log files if there will be answer to these issues... and what is actually difference with my lenovo and eeepc.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#4 by Ahau » 03 Nov 2011, 15:45

Hi snake,

Are you running with saved changes on the eeePC? I've run into the lnusertemp issue before see here:
http://www.slax.org/forum.php/register. ... ntID=71292

I believe my problem was that I ran out of room on my flash drive for storing saved changes -- the system would run fine in 'always fresh' mode. However, if you had some settings that were stored specific to one hardware setup (or a different version of Porteus?) that might also be causing issues with KDE. Try booting into 'always fresh' mode, and if that works without a problem, try using changes with a clean save.dat (or a clean directory on a posix-compatible drive).

snake
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus-v3.1 64bit KDE

Post#5 by snake » 03 Nov 2011, 15:54

I do have older porteus on hard drive on eeepc, and that actually came to my mind that it might be the reason. Always fresh works fine and camera,wlan works nicely. Thanks!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#6 by Hamza » 03 Nov 2011, 17:59

Got it ! :Yahoo!:
NjVFQzY2Rg==

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#7 by beny » 03 Nov 2011, 19:29

hi brokenman:http://www.mediafire.com/?ws62ecj53q4z8w3, driver for rc1.1 bye

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#8 by Hamza » 03 Nov 2011, 20:25

That is what we see..Beny is always here when we need him! :P
NjVFQzY2Rg==

kalo86
Samurai
Samurai

Post#9 by kalo86 » 03 Nov 2011, 23:23

Hello!
I'm running the new release, Porteus v1.1rc1-i486.
It's working fine, I really like the new function of volumes auto-mount when I plug a usb disk.
Anyway, I miss a nice property of PcManFM-mod, id est the HDD volume on the left side of the program (named Places).
With PcManFM v0.9.9 I can see only usb drive and if I want to access to my hdd, I have to manually go to /mnt/sda.

Another thing about PcManFM: is there a way to avoid the opening in a new tab of a directory? I would like to open a directory into another window and not in the same window.

Possibly a bug: I am starting Porteus with kmap=it cheatcode, but it works sometime! It's happening that Porteus boots with EN keyboard layout :unknown:

I want to thank all developers for this nice upgrade, it's fantastic! I can never left Porteus distro! Thank You very much!

kalo86

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#10 by Ahau » 04 Nov 2011, 00:16

Brokenman,

Lxde start menu is empty when logged as guest.

xconf+startx worked for me as root, but not guest (won't work for guest in 1.0 either, but spits a different error, about copying xorg.log -- 1.1 gives errors on files in /home/guest).

I did notice /home/guest is owned by root instead of guest, that might help, but I ran out odf time to finish testing.

You left some crap in rootcopy, too :P

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 by brokenman » 04 Nov 2011, 01:06

Kalo ... i will look into that for you.

Ahau all seems well here on two different machines. Please remove rootcopy stuff and also try running: update-desktop-database

Also (after double checking) guest seems to be owned appropriately in all modules of the ISO. I suspect rootcopy, rc.local or an additional module perhaps?
ls /mnt/live/memory/images/

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#12 by Ahau » 04 Nov 2011, 01:52

You're right brokenman -- sorry for not picking up on that, I was in a hurry to get off the bus and didn't have time to finish testing and looking for the cause of the ownership.

Turns out the culprit was in rootcopy -- but, this culprit came in the ISO :D I am running porteus from an ext4 partition, and you have some files in /porteus/rootcopy/home/guest/.config that came under root's ownership when I copied them to my flashdrive (they are owned by guest inside the ISO). Removing /home/ from my rootcopy resolved the issue with the lxde menu. I'll see if I can come up with anything on some of the issues you mentioned in your initial post.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 by brokenman » 04 Nov 2011, 13:17

Thanks Ahau.

You're right, i left some file (from testing) in rootcopy. (slaps forehead)

I have created a script to run which will remove all rootcopy and create the ISO so this shouldn't happen again. I will remove the current ISO and replace it with the updated one, which will give me the chance to update the md5sums too.

justwantin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#14 by justwantin » 08 Nov 2011, 01:56

As noted in a hardware thread the poulsbo video is working best ever on my netbook. PPM also worked building modules from salix repository. My compliments on both.

One problem (maybe) in kde is there is no workspace selector in the panel. Kde default is 4 but nothing shows. Tried changing setting to 6 but nothing happened. This may be me missing a ticbox somewhere. I haven't used kde in yonks but I remember it always installed default of 4 which automatically showed up in the panel on 1st login.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#15 by francois » 08 Nov 2011, 02:50

@justwantin:
To get the workspace selector click right on the KDE panel in some space where there is no application. A menu should pop. Select applets. You will find it there in the first third of the list.

@brokenman:
rc1 works like a charm. Mostly, I appreciate the return of the canadian keyboard option in the keyboard layout accessible from the kde panel. I hope this is not temporary. This makes obsolete the lang=ca cheatcode of the menu.lst.

However, the latter cheatcode will override the value of the keyboard layout of kde panel immediately after bootup. This is to say that the keyboard will be ca (or canadian) while you will see the the american flag (for us) on the kde panel. A few togle between us-ca-us or any langage will bring back correspondance between the icon and the language set of the keyboard.

There is also a problem that seem not related to porteus (you are best judged than I am). Virtual box would freeze porteus with no other solution than a hard reset (using the power button). Maybe that my setting for the guest Arch linux os where insuficient. I was involved into a lot of package installation. However, I did not work in always fresh mode only with the virtual box module loaded to reproduce the freeze. I will be happy to do so if you find it worth of an investigation.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.