samba ->>> get it out of 002-xorg

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#1 by Falcony » 04 Oct 2017, 10:26

2brokeman & future developers of porteus,

Let think how to get out samba from 002-xorg as it quite vunerable - to make it as optional external module.

The same as python, perl, etc - as if you need to use some network services it have to be binded to it. It is easy to update and set level of security when it is out of base module for most of user's of porteus.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#2 by wread » 04 Oct 2017, 15:22

@Falcony
My 002-xorg contains neither samba ( my Samba.xzm is in modules ), nor Python ( my Python is in 07-printing ), nor perl ( my Perl is in 05-devel ). Both 07-printing and 05-devel have I in optional and will be activated only when needed.

On the other hand, trying to prepare a usb for testing, it should contain only 000-kernel, 001-core and 002-xorg, locked every time I called xinit. I found 3 nescesary modules were missing: libexpoxy, libinput and libwacom. This usb I use to test other possibles DEs for Porteus...

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 11 Oct 2017, 00:33

Let think how to get out samba from 002-xorg as it quite vunerable - to make it as optional external module.
This brings us back to the original question ... what is Porteus about. Over the years we have striven to make Porteus easy to use for beginners. One of the biggest complaints is when something is not friendly for newcomers. For this reason samba was put into 002. It is used by all desktops to make networking easy among other things. What you propose is to remove it and make things more difficult for newcomers, but more secure for seasoned users. I could put it in the 003-desktop module but that doesn't solve anything really. It is still there.

In my opinion, people that don't need it or want it can remove it with very little effort. The same can not be said for a newbie that wonders why networking with their NAS drive doesn't work. What do you think people?

PS: I will give seasoned users a super light version soon (it's what I use) that only has the bare essentials. 000+001+002
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 12 Oct 2017, 04:24

brokenman wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 00:33
In my opinion, people that don't need it or want it can remove it with very little effort. The same can not be said for a newbie that wonders why networking with their NAS drive doesn't work. What do you think people?
Newbies, and that includes newbies to Linux as well as Porteus, want a system that works with their computers with a minimum of effort, and if they have a question can post it and not wait for a mod to approve it. Especially if their posting for help doesn't contain a link to something outside of the Porteus forum. The next thing a newbie wants is friendly help which I think is here in spades for newbies and what makes Porteus such a great distro. :good:
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 22 Oct 2017, 19:56

So, not much discussion on this so far. I will leave samba in 002 for now. Falcony, you can remove it with two or three lines of code.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.