Implement more things GUI?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Implement more things GUI?

Post#1 by agreimann » 04 Jun 2011, 00:08

Hey, guys,

I've played around with the latest release--and other than all the cool fixes we're all putting into it, I noticed one more thing.

A lot of things use the CLI or a terminal, which is fine, but can we convert such programs to be graphical? If things are released CLI, that's cool too--all I'm saying is that nowdays, users are looking for eye candy at every turn. This is JUST a suggestion... please understand I'm not complaining or anything like that in any way--again, I'm ONLY giving a suggestion. ;)

-- Andrew

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Re: Implement more things GUI?

Post#2 by roadie » 04 Jun 2011, 02:28

Cli vs GUI?.......I understand the point of new users, coming from Windows, they're well accustomed to GUI's. Most have never seen the CLI. Most also know absolutely nothing about how their OS works, they just fire it up and (hopefully) go to it. My standard method of repairing Windows was to reinstall.....frequently.

Linux, on the other hand, encouraged me to learn and understand the system by the use of the CLI..........we're talking many years ago here, GUI's just weren't common. I personally think new users to Linux should be encouraged in getting their hands dirty. Sure, it can be made easier for them to install, programs like Blaze's installer will help immensely there........beats the hell outa manually uncompressing .bz2's to a hard drive, as I did with my first Slackware. Get new users up and running, but don't hold them back from learning their system.

I don't think that absolutely everything has to have a fancy GUI covering up the inner workings......ya gotta love the -v flag, huh? I suppose it comes down to what the developers of Porteus want it to end up as. Any program or GUI takes resources to run and eventually it will affect the system, taking a light fast distro like Porteus and turning it into a resource hog..........like Windows.

Then, what comes next? Get rid of Midnight Commander?..........don't even think it. :P

Bloat is evil.......destroy the bloat.

My 2 cents,
roadie

82issa
DOC Team
DOC Team

Post#3 by 82issa » 04 Jun 2011, 09:57

Well I have always thought.

Code: Select all

CLI == extreaml powerlifter (kinda goofy lookin)
GUI == super model  (super sexy and nice to look at)
I do agree that they have their different purposes. Each on their own has
unique advantages. Together they are the bodybuilder and the super-model
hanging on his arm. I think we do need that balance to attract people who
never give linux a second look, but key have a decent minimal cd/usb/hd
install available. As the software repo's get larger we will be good to go all
arround.
Sorry guys... I got to go. My girlfriend just casted "get your dirty ass into the shower" on me.
Oh and here is some naked grandpa pictures too.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 04 Jun 2011, 11:43

GUI is welcome when it comes with little cost. size matters: smaller = better.

@agreimann
which particular tools would you like to rewrite to GUI?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

bour59
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: porteus v5.0-xfce K5.19.7

Post#5 by bour59 » 04 Jun 2011, 13:52

Sorry to disturb you within a serious thread
It's a way of life
when I want to eat potatoes I prefer using a knife to dress them ,cooki and prepare at wy own.
I can understand buying potatoes in a cooked bag !
It's easyer, cheaper .. the other way is better (sure I allready have a knife)
Seriously : an example : sns-tools was more instructive than wicd.
open a console within kde (or other) and everything is easiest

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 04 Jun 2011, 23:11

CLI will always be there. Just because we introduce a new GUI for something doesn't mean you can't still use CLI. I still use CLI for starting my net connection. I think any GUI that is introduced (as Fanthom says ... with a small footprint) makes things easy for beginners. If they want to learn more they can open the black screen too! My instructions will always be via CLI because that's my preference. Having choices is what began Linux in the first place ... choice is good.

The only problem with GUI is things become too easy. When everyone starts using Linux ... what will we do to look cool? 8)
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#7 by agreimann » 05 Jun 2011, 07:50

Well, I personally believe as programmers or simply Linux enthusiasts for those who don't love and appreciate Linux languages, the CLI will always stay alive. Personally, I love working with the CLI more than I do the GUI, mainly because I like really programming, and I haven't quite got all the code for GUI stuff yet. But the problem is that I can't let that prejudice of liking CLI get in the way... because users *don't* like the shell. Especially not the complainy, pampered ones from the "download an app" and Windoze worlds.

They like GUI, unforuneately. For instance, I can guarantee that if Android was released with CLI only (no one would do that in today's world!--just an extreme) :), or GUI with a lot of CLI in it, only what the media would call "techies" (which to me are nothing but souped-up power users), would have bought the phones.

Look at the triumph of the later Old World Macintoshes (the first one failed miserably in '84 due to several factors) over the CLI computers that were the only marketed computers at the time (though IBM did put up a fight, along with others).

From what we can learn from history, I think it is good to let the user explore, but I also think it is good to have solid graphical user interface elements as well.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts, y'all--for those who were curious. :D

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#8 by wread » 17 Jun 2011, 03:35

Even windoze keep a cmd in reserve....

We want to stay at about 250 M; every M that we increase is a speed loss.....

Good night from this side of the world!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#9 by agreimann » 21 Jun 2011, 17:48

I saw the question earlier, and I apologize for not seeing it. What I think should be converted into GUI is Language Selection, Magic Folders, and some others I can think of. The neat thing is that module activation and make-changes already are partially GUIed, which seriously I think will help out newcomers to Porteus. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#10 by brokenman » 27 Jun 2011, 20:46

The CLI freaks will fall about laughing but ... i am considering making a menu item with a GUI that explains all of the CLI scripts available in Porteus. Would be useful for beginners to CLI. A small HTML/CSS page will take up little room.

Also a while back i asked someone to produce a nicer FAQ page with HTML and perhaps a small image. The FAQ page is very bland and i think it could be nicer using a little HTML/CSS. Any takers?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.