Porteus Settings Centre

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Welcome box being implemented

Post#31 by brokenman » 07 Jun 2011, 00:26

I'm a little frustrated that in a little impatience, someone is trying to show me case, which I very much use and understand.
Sorry for offering assistance. It won't happen again .... except to ask ... are you really going to use that dolphin call?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#32 by agreimann » 07 Jun 2011, 00:39

It's a really cheap way of setting wallpaper I came up with. I actually subbed dolphin for nautilus (the one I really use). The program helps set my wallpaper for me in the end without having to use the desktop properties panel in Gnome 2 or really, Fluxbox. If you wish, there's other examples I have tucked away somewhere that implement case differently. ;)

Sorry if I offended you. I did make this quote though regarding the lack of button support, for instance: "I really hope you guys like this PRE-release or alpha version. It is very wobbly, and it is NOT the "finished" and "polished" product", but that still didn't give me a license to get frustrated. I really do appreciate assistance. I think I took it the wrong way--and said a little too much. :) I also do appreciate your support and input of the project, and ask you'd forgive me for getting a little wound up. :)

Regards,

-- Andrew

Posted after 7 minutes 17 seconds:
Oh, and I forgot to say, I looked at your error report. Thank you very much for that. It *is* helpful. I will work on patching that.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#33 by brokenman » 07 Jun 2011, 00:40

No problem. Patience is one thing we have in excess. We have taken our time working up to v1.0 in the hope that everything is perfect. I think we are just waiting on the package manager. This will take perhaps another week or two polish, and then we are ready.

Please remember that your app needs to work in both 32bit and 64bit.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#34 by agreimann » 07 Jun 2011, 19:23

I will remember to definitely have the patience of the Porteus community. Again, I hope I didn't offend anyone. :)

And, I think the new Settings Assistant ought to work on anything. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#35 by brokenman » 07 Jun 2011, 21:52

And, I think the new Settings Assistant ought to work on anything.
This is why i asked about dolphin. 32bit doesn't use it.

Rest assured, i don't offend easily. :)

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#36 by agreimann » 07 Jun 2011, 23:49

@brokenman: I'm certainly glad to hear all's well. :)

@all: This time, I wrote the actual program. I know the pre-release was frustrating to run to the Porteus community, because it was sloppy, missing quite a bit, and didn't really work yet--in fact, not all the proper files were put in it yet! Now that I know I'm the official developer of that project, I decided to take it seriously. I sat down and coded everything right, including the promised installer, template, and everything.

This time, for real, without the "pre-release" look-at-it version, this one follows open source GUI software guidelines, got it's code fixed and cleaned up, and should actually "run" like a program is supposed to. I actually feel ashamed for releasing the low-grade pre-release I did (I have never written anything that lazily), and humbly ask you guys' apology. This program is officially an alpha version now. The project is hosted at http://code.google.com/p/porteus-settings-assistant

Let me know what you want added or changed, or whatever, once you run it on your Porteus machines. :) Oh, and, guys, make sure you extract it and run it from your home folder. Run it as root. Also, if you were one of the first downloaders of the new alpha release, there was a serious bug with the installer I fixed--please grab a new copy--I apologize for that. Looking forward to your input!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#37 by brokenman » 08 Jun 2011, 02:39

Beautiful !!.

At first i unpacked on a drive somewhere. i work from CLI so i changed into my guest home folder and called the installation script, and got a frozen terminal. Then i read the install document and opened konqueror, double clicked and away it went. Very slick and easy to follow.

Last window asks if i want to open control settings or something, but nothing opened. (32bit rc2)

My only suggestion would be to skip the 'installer' part and just create a module. Users can double click on the module and everything will fall into place, and this will ensure they are root when activating (users can't). That is how every other package is handled in Porteus.

Apart from that (and i havn't yet tested in LXDE) it is light years ahead of your previous script. Very nice work.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#38 by agreimann » 08 Jun 2011, 04:20

I'm really glad that you liked it.

The "lightyears ahead" was realizing the pre-release I didn't take seriously, resulting in the worst thing I had written in my life. I feel writing the alpha properly like a Linux programmer would was the right thing to do. Not even a pre-release, especially that only had to do four little things, should have been like that. I feel it only right to apologize and write things over, which I already did. :)

Thank you for your input. It'd be wonderful to create a module. I didn't think of that! :) Oh, and, icons are now in the program files with their respective license, so it is compatible with LXDE. I guess we'll see how the beta goes. I looked in 64-bit LXDE--both accept systemsettings. I will see about 32-bit as well, as I only ran this in 64-bit. However, I probably will leave the installer version as a separate package for legacy or debugging.

Regards,

-- Andrew

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#39 by brokenman » 08 Jun 2011, 08:46

Don't sweat the first release Andrew ... i understand now it was just a skeleton so we could see the method and understand how it would work.

I think we are going to run with this in the next release (pending fanthoms approval) so a module is not necessary, but would be good anyway. I was thinking we could create a path /opt/porteus-scripts/icons and all icons for porteus scripts could be stored there. This way others could use existing icons in their scripts. If this is no good for you (because of the licence) then i will start this off in the Package Manager due to be released soon.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#40 by agreimann » 10 Jun 2011, 03:07

@brokenman: Thank you for the encouragement. :) It is appreciated.

For the Oxygen icons, we just need the license I've already put in the mini icon folder. In other words, all we would have to do is include the CC-SA-3.0 license to it and respect the terms of that license. Then, we could, for instance, have /opt/porteus-scripts/oxygen-icons. But it really is up to fanthom--i hope your (and now my) idea is okay. :)

On 64-bit, systemsettings works only when the KDE module is installed, but it works on LXDE and KDE (it appears Porteus didn't include a control panel app for LXDE)--I will fix the finish box of the program to adapt to this, including working on a "control panel" place for LXDE... Also, 32-bit uses a differing command name, so I can see where it did not work for you. Opening System Settings, btw, is an optional step if the user really wants to. :)

@all: I can't reiterate enough to please test the new alpha version of this program that I uploaded to Google Code (the previous was a pre-release concept only.) I actually took it seriously this time and added all the meat to it, plus an installer and template. I'd really appreciate the feedback so I can release a second alpha, and eventually a beta.

To avoid problems with the installer, make sure that the contents are unpacked in your home folder and run the installer as root.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#41 by fanthom » 10 Jun 2011, 12:54

@brokenman
"I was thinking we could create a path /opt/porteus-scripts/icons and all icons for porteus scripts could be stored there."
very good idea :)
this way all icons could be unified between desktops/editions.
Which icons should we choose: oxygen, humanity-lxde, crystalsvg?

any volunteer for preparing xzm module containing icons + edited /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files?

EDIT:\\
or maybe someone from 'Graphics Team' could prepare 'Porteus icon set' for all porteus tools (similar idea to ranks).
or maybe we could go with one icon identifying 'Porteus tool' for all scripts? porteus logo?
we could place it in /002/usr/share/icons/hicolor/* same as icon for xzm module by Blaze.

we have many possibilities - which one to choose?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#42 by brokenman » 10 Jun 2011, 13:32

Thanks Fanthom, yes this would solve the problem of trying to find an icon for KDE and LXDE. Maybe Blaze can make a unified Porteus icon set. If nobody puts their hand up i will do it.

or maybe we could go with one icon identifying 'Porteus tool' for all scripts? porteus logo?
we could place it in /002/usr/share/icons/hicolor/* same as icon for xzm module by Blaze?
This would be easy to implement for v1.0. With the other option we may not have enough time.

Agriemann
I am charged with maintaining/developing the 32bit Porteus. When you feel your Welcome Box is ready, please let me know where to get it. If possible can you please change icon path to /op/porteus-scripts/icons. This is what i use for Package Manager.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#43 by agreimann » 10 Jun 2011, 19:29

@fanthom: I'm glad you like the modules idea. I will start putting this to use.

Tasks on my to do list:

- Get Porteus Settings Assistant beta released with new module and alternatively include a .zip file inside the new .tar.gz for current installation style.

What's ahead for that release:
- Fix the finish portion of the Settings Assistant to allow changing settings to work in LXDE, KDE 4, and KDE 3 (32-bit).

- Build icon module off of limited Oxygen icons I have thus far with their respective license, which will install the icons to /opt/porteus-scripts/shared_icons.

The beta version (since I haven't heard of anyone requesting more features (other than modules) for alpha 2) will then use the new shared_icons, or porteus_scripts_icons, or whatever icon path you'd like (just to add a little opinion--I like how "shared" implies all future, past, and present Porteus programs can "share" the icons with each other. :)). But it is up to you guys. Let me know what you think.
Last edited by agreimann on 10 Jun 2011, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#44 by Hamza » 10 Jun 2011, 19:34

@agreimann,

Do you allow me to make a Porteus Assistant Tool from your source code in cli only ?

Thanks.
Hamza
NjVFQzY2Rg==

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#45 by agreimann » 10 Jun 2011, 19:40

The beta will include a legacy version (this came to mind after brokenman mentioned he works mainly from the shell, and not mainly from the GUI),
brokenman wrote:i work from CLI

And with that, the shell functionality you're asking about will be implemented as "legacy" or "classic" in the upcoming beta version. The legacy version will be an addition included in the new .tar.gz I will release as a .zip file inside it (my last post hints at this.) It will include the installer, and will differ from the emerging, newer Settings Assistant.