How can we make Porteus better?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
azrielle
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.1 LXQt 32 & 64 bit

Re: How can we make Porteus better?

Post#16 by azrielle » 22 Feb 2016, 06:26

How about adding a Fluxbox and/or a Calibre option to your custom desktop build page?
BTW, I REALLY appreciate the inclusion of PloP and Opera. PloP saved my "bricking" of my Win7 OS; have been using Opera since 2009 as my browser of choice.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#17 by francois » 22 Feb 2016, 09:54

Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#18 by Bogomips » 22 Feb 2016, 12:52

As for documentation, doing a search can throw up a lot of topics with outdated information. I would just have a forum section for topics in which relevant current information has been provided. In this respect have bookmarked quite a few topics, do not know if others have also been bookmarking, which could then be copied to this section and locked. So anyone seeking information on something specific could search this section of the forum and be assured that whatever found, is of current.value.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

fullmoonremix

Post#19 by fullmoonremix » 25 Feb 2016, 09:45

Salutations... :good:

IMHO... :oops: it might be a good idea to add a USM "Create a module from a folder" option in the (file manager) right click menu.

Best Regards... :beer:
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 27 Feb 2016, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#20 by brokenman » 27 Feb 2016, 03:41

Ah, I believe this already exists in all versions.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fullmoonremix

Post#21 by fullmoonremix » 27 Feb 2016, 09:38

in the right click menu
Only the USM has the "Create" option. Aside from conversion... the current PcMan/SpaceFM (XFE???) right click "menu" options are simply (de)activate... (un)mount... and "Extract Porteus module".

fullmoonremix

Post#22 by fullmoonremix » 28 Feb 2016, 17:26

Salutations... :beer:

NUMA?... :unknown:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/libnuma/
http://webwarper.net/ww/~av/slakfinder. ... e=#results
http://pkgs.org/debian-sid/debian-main- ... 4.deb.html

Perl JIT?... :unknown:
http://pkgs.org/debian-sid/debian-main- ... l.deb.html

It can be compiled (installed?) natively using CPAN.
I compiled foxtoolkit just now and will check out xfe to see how it would go with openbox.
It's in the USM repo... :wink: but if you compile it w/ UPX you could make it smaller.

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 28 Feb 2016, 23:31, edited 2 times in total.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#23 by ncmprhnsbl » 28 Feb 2016, 21:35

fullmoonremix wrote: Only the USM has the "Create" option. Aside from conversion... the current PcMan/SpaceFM (XFE???) right click "menu" options are simply (de)activate... (un)mount... and "Extract Porteus module".
its there but hard to find...
the thing is that in file managers, rightclick on a folder gives a context menu that doesnt include "Build Porteus Module.." option...
if you click "choose" at the bottom of this menu(or is it "open with"?) and then find "Build Porteus Module.." in the apps list .... this does the trick..
having a first layer association for folders might vary a bit for different filemanagers.... but maybe the .desktop file can handle this?
or MIME type association?
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#24 by francois » 28 Feb 2016, 22:24

I would move the /root and /home folders out of the changes folders in case of corruption of the changes folder.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#25 by Jack » 28 Feb 2016, 23:51

francois wrote:I would move the /root and /home folders out of the changes folders in case of corruption of the changes folder.
As long as you don't lose any data you put in there. If not then that would be a great idea.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#26 by Ed_P » 29 Feb 2016, 01:05

francois wrote:I would move the /root and /home folders out of the changes folders in case of corruption of the changes folder.
To minimize the impact of such a situation I make backups of my changes save.dat file. Doing something similar with the changes folder might be wise also.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#27 by brokenman » 29 Feb 2016, 01:54

I would move the /root and /home folders out of the changes folders in case of corruption of the changes folder.
Not really an option since the majority of changes that people want to keep are in these folders.

fullmoonremix

Post#28 by fullmoonremix » 15 Mar 2016, 19:40

Perhaps? :unknown: Snort (software and/or... Fail2ban ???

IMHO... :oops: not a panacea or utopia (because Moore's Law always gets the last word). However as they say... "half a loaf is better than none @ all".

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#29 by brokenman » 15 Mar 2016, 23:16

The first is for people interested in security and data analysis. The second is for servers. I fail to see why we should implement these into Porteus.

fullmoonremix

Post#30 by fullmoonremix » 16 Mar 2016, 00:32

Markds vast security knowledge raised many interesting contingency questions in this thread... :unknown:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... login+root

Porteus is " Secure by design "... :wink:
However... it's " Attack surface " could be smaller and more contingent (see... Defense in depth (computing )

Consider this... any non-static writable media is vulnerable to rootkits... :wall:
So although Porteus is secure (eg. modular/compressed... runs in ram... and can boot from an ISO image) most boxes (BIOS/firmware) and media (USB sticks) are not.

The Porteus site encourages the use of removable storage media.
Unfortunately... this kind of storage is by default "insecure by design".

The whole idea of "secure by design" means malicious code is not relevant.
If it is present (even in the BIOS) it cannot execute if the media is static (cd/dvd aka. " Data at rest ") or easily "phone home" if the traffic is challenged.

Well... many people will say "my removable media is brand new and right out the package". That may be true. What is also true is...
if you do not have intrusion protection if you are using non-static media you could end up with a subverted BIOS (or worse?).

There is a good chance unless you take precautions (like using static media and/or a hypervisor or Docker...
"container" to sandbox your browser) you might find yourself booting into a compromised desktop.

Pls Note: The above suggested applications can be configured for either analysis (IDS) or IPS filtering.

The reasons for using an IPS are the same as using a firewall (Porteus would also be improved if it's firewall default were set to.. "ON"). So... unless you close ALL your ports or work offline...
the bottom line is... you are better off using a firewall with an IPS than without in the event the firewall is breached.

Pls Note: Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems (Adeos) could also help reduce Porteus's attack surface and improve it's reliablity (see... Fault tolerance )

Last edited by fullmoonremix on 25 Apr 2016, 11:45, edited 3 times in total.