Porteus-v1.0-rc2-x86 "So close to the FINAL..."

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porteus-v1.0-rc2-x86 "So close to the FINAL..."

Post#76 by fanthom » 11 Jun 2011, 08:09

@zer0-G
i have fixed this some time ago (i think brokenman is using fixed version of rc.M).
at this stage of booting, user is not logged in and /opt/porteus-scripts is not added to his PATH variable yet. that's why full path to dir2xzm is required:
"/opt/porteus-scripts/dir2xzm"

thanks for bug report.

@wread, brokenman
there is a shorter way:
a) activate googleearth module by jay and restart Xorg server - works great, no other action is requred
b) put googleearth to /porteus/modules and restart system - works out of the box

didn't test these with module provided by wread but think it would be the same.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#77 by wread » 11 Jun 2011, 12:48

Re: Google Earth; I must apologize, my module was good for slax, but not for porteus! Now I'am happy! :D
Merci Beaucoup! Thank you very much! Dziękuję bardzo!
Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#78 by brokenman » 11 Jun 2011, 19:43

put googleearth to /porteus/modules and restart system - works out of the box
Damn, i wasted half an hour hunting looking for the font ... and all i need is to reset X!

Anyway, having the correct font means you won't have to restart X to get it to work. C'mon google .. what's the deal? If the preferred font is not found, use the next commonly used font!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#79 by wread » 13 Jun 2011, 00:37

@brokenman
Now Google Earth shows all fonts (my module is ok!); the versions you and fanthom sent me had still a little problem, namely the latin á, é, í, ó, ú, ñ and ü kept showing still as empty boxes. I opended 002-xorg and added the cyrillyc fonts from fanthom and miscellaneous fonts I found in xorg form slax, repacked the module and that's it. Please, test it and include this in final. This is for the present rc2 version!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/slpf758t7 ... 2-xorg.xzm

BTW, looking for the "bug" in GE, I put together kde-4.2.1, to test if it was Trinity's fault. IMHO, if one has over 1 G ram, 32-bit kde-4 can be an option for those who like kde-4. I am using it now with rc2 and I do not notice any slowness, but at startup. After up and running it makes no difference at all. I myself had tested it in Slax and was dissapointed for it slowness. Meanwhile we could offer it as optional package. You can test these modules (they are from gusterapolis -slax-) translated to xzm:

http://www.mediafire.com/?r1plijpjjn3f3

To install them you must make a folder in base, name it kde4 and download the 9 files to it. Then move 004-kde.xzm, 005-kdeapps.xzm and 006-koffice.xzm to optional and reboot. To uninstall move 004, 005 and 006 back to base and the whole folder kde4 to optional. That's it!

Cheers!
Last edited by wread on 20 Jun 2011, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#80 by brokenman » 13 Jun 2011, 00:48

That's excellent Wread, thanks very much!

The 002 you created will be great for other languages. I think we can offer the KDE4 as an optional desktop for 32bit. I think alot of people will be happy. Thanks again to you and gusterapolis!!

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#81 by wread » 13 Jun 2011, 12:03

@brokenman
You don't even imagine how important this GE is for students; they use it every day in the universities. My students keep complaining that Porteus doesn't map the characters ok and they must use the other OS. :evil:

Regarding kde4, I think I will make a new set a la gusterapolis, but using kde 4.6.3 instead, to be offered as option for 32 bits Porteus. With this 4.2.1 for instance, I can't connect to the local network in my office. It says "zeroconf" is not included in the package. I will keep you informed. I must learn to compile kde4 first (it uses cmake).

Regards!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#82 by brokenman » 13 Jun 2011, 23:58

Wread, any chance of getting a module with JUST what you added to 002, over an above the standard 002 module?

When creating a new version, i grab the standard slackware packages and merge them into one folder. Then add the custom porteus files and Porteus tree. The extra files that you added would get put in my 'custom modules' so i can just merge them. Thanks.

For now i will just extract the existing 002 module over the top of yours, and repack.

PS: 32bit rc3 will be out tonight.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#83 by Tonio » 14 Jun 2011, 16:17

I tried this version and I am not too happy with the copy2ram option. I have several machines and in one with 2GB, I ran copy2ram on the cd and it gave a cp error and dropped me to a shell :( If I boot the cd normally everything works correctly. In the message in the shell it said that I had a corrupted download, but I checked the md5sum and it matched the one in ponce's testing repo :(, I ran it on another machine with 4 GB and it worked, but said only 3??? GB were available.

I tested the possibility of ogg encoding ripped cd's with this version and it worked whereas the 64 bit version needed libvorbis package :( Thanks, I am unsure if I should download the new rc3 version or not to test if the copy2ram will work or not, I think I'll consider. Thanks.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#84 by brokenman » 15 Jun 2011, 03:15

Hmmm .. i hadn't tested the copy2ram from a liveCD. I wonder if it is something to do with read speed of disk.

I ran it on another machine with 4 GB and it worked, but said only 3??? GB were available.
Thats the kernel highmem option with a 3/1 memory split. The kernel will keep 1Gb for itself, probably for virtual mappings of physical memory.