The future of Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
tmsg
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: arch, mx, porteus

Re: The future of Porteus

Post#121 by tmsg » 26 Nov 2015, 11:47

(Disclaimer: my Linux experience is minimal, but I am a software developer myself.)
My 2 cents as a user: Arch was the first Linux system I ever installed. It was fast and small and I could decide what bits I wanted (or not). I stopped using it after a while because of two reasons: some people in the Arch forum can be less than helpful and, more importantly, after a prolonged bit of my not touching and updating the installed system, the updates via pacman would not work anymore because of some deep internal change (not the systemd thing though, this was in 2013 IIRC).

However, Arch as a system was fine. I know that they have since switched to systemd but I do not know enough about the alleged advantages or disadvantages to say anything meaningful about that switch. However I trusted the devs in the first place when I decided to install Arch and in principle, I see no reason not to trust them now.

Exactly the same is true for Porteus. If the dev(s) decide(s) to go with a systemd-based Arch and if I can not offer a meaningful critique, then so be it. I trust that their decision is, within the overall "mission" of Porteus, the right thing.

If, later on, I am not happy with that decision, I can either try to roll my own system (not going to happen anytime soon as I am no Linux dev) or I can take another, non-systemd based distro off the shelves.

IOW, as long as Porteus stays small and fast and keeps that modular structure I am fine with the underlying distro to change, especially if I can understand the reasons for that change. Which I do.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#122 by Ed_P » 26 Nov 2015, 16:00

Well said tmsg. :)
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#123 by Jack » 26 Nov 2015, 18:47

Hi all,

Dose Arch Linux have a live version? If so anyone have a link so I could try it tell Porteus change over. And when dose change over I hope I can use ext4 like I do with Porteus 3.1 now.

Jack

EDIT:

I found "archlinux-2015.11.01-dual" but it won't bootup from a USB 1gb drive. :wall:

EDIT2:

I try to join there fourm but it ask a question "What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?" any idea?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

normalGuy
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.2 xfce archBang

Post#124 by normalGuy » 26 Nov 2015, 21:38

archBang I think. work with it some time ago.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#125 by Bogomips » 26 Nov 2015, 22:56

Jack wrote: I try to join there fourm but it ask a question "What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?" any idea?

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'
e31e7b0008b50c852a4ada9835c89cb80f53e8f62328daa965beec7c9eb2066e
8)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#126 by Jack » 26 Nov 2015, 23:24

normalGuy wrote:archBang I think. work with it some time ago.
I found out I been a member since 2004. I forgot all about being a member.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#127 by Jack » 26 Nov 2015, 23:32

Bogomips wrote:
Jack wrote: I try to join there fourm but it ask a question "What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?" any idea?

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'
e31e7b0008b50c852a4ada9835c89cb80f53e8f62328daa965beec7c9eb2066e
8)
Thanks for the info.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#128 by ncmprhnsbl » 27 Nov 2015, 01:19

@jack, i advise against joining the arch forum, unless you have installed arch, the "arch way", they dont take kindly to those that dont..
and the "archlinux-2015.11.01-dual iso" has no gui and is only for installation(and repair)

better with archbang or manjaro forums, they are more accepting..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#129 by Jack » 27 Nov 2015, 02:03

ncmprhnsbl wrote:@jack, i advise against joining the arch forum, unless you have installed arch, the "arch way", they dont take kindly to those that dont..
and the "archlinux-2015.11.01-dual iso" has no gui and is only for installation(and repair)

better with archbang or manjaro forums, they are more accepting..
Thanks for the info. I only use x86 live version. I been using Slackware base Linux for a long time now and I'm looking for another live version now. When I found Porteus and it did what I wanted it made my day and before that it was Slax and before that it was full install of Slackware. Before the internet I went a Computer store and bought my Slackware CD I think it was $5.00.

I just downloaded "austrumi-3.2.6.iso" I will try it. It is only 282mb. I'm going and try and boot from a 8gb usb drive.
AUSTRUMI (Austrum Latvijas Linukss) is a bootable live Linux distribution based on Slackware Linux. It requires limited system resources and can run on any Intel-compatible system with a CD-ROM installed. The entire operating system and all of the applications run from RAM, making AUSTRUMI a fast system and allowing the boot medium to be removed after the operating system starts.
This is my 0.02 cents

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#130 by Tonio » 27 Nov 2015, 02:14

Arch Live CD
You can find one by Arne Exton:

http://linux.exton.net/?p=372
Linux live DVD based on Arch Linux. Arch motto is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). ArchEX uses kernel 4.2.5-1-ARCH and the LXDE Desktop environment.
I do not want to put down work for nemesis(arch based), I tried it, it looks and feels more or less the same, but the system is missing many things and in reality, I do not feel at home with that flavor of linux. If there is no more porteus based on Slackware, I will look toward work from AlienBob and make my own Slackware system to usb with the scripts that are provided. No matter if it is too big, I just need something that makes me comfortable. I apologize for feeling this way but it (base Arch) does not inspire confidence it does not feel right. I do not know why, It will be bigger than normal porteus based on slackware and size should not matter; Alienbob's big Slackware live would be good for me(I will not complain). I have tested many versions of linux live and not live,( not tested all, but surely many and some look and feel good, but do not do many things that one likes to do) . Crux is like source based and it seems to be good, but it is still behind Slackware based livecds, as I have tested Austrumi, Slackel-live and Salix. They are a bit bigger and support more stuff than the ones I see based on Arch. He Arne Exton, has ubuntu live cds, Debian based livecds, he also has one based on OpenSuse check his page out:

http://linux.exton.net/

Try some of these out if you have time in your hands, report back and help out in some way with your opinions and in the end time is money and it will determine what you can get.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#131 by Tonio » 27 Nov 2015, 02:23

Jack wrote: I just downloaded "austrumi-3.2.6.iso" I will try it. It is only 282mb. I'm going and try and boot from a 8gb usb drive.
AUSTRUMI (Austrum Latvijas Linukss) is a bootable live Linux distribution based on Slackware Linux. It requires limited system resources and can run on any Intel-compatible system with a CD-ROM installed. The entire operating system and all of the applications run from RAM, making AUSTRUMI a fast system and allowing the boot medium to be removed after the operating system starts.
This is my 0.02 cents
Austrumi is a very good livecd, it has openoffice and it has a mplayer clone called mpv, it runs as root and runs from RAM if one has 512MB+ of ram. It lacks the customization that slax and porteus had, ie., modules, one has to add the packages manually and/or remaster it but I lack the expertise in this area as I better appreciate slax and porteus in this category. But for simple day to day things it works. It may lack some drivers that are present in porteus, special kernel modules, etc, but it works. Hope you like it and hope that at least one version of Porteus based on Slackware survives with any desktop with any files and with any things that are considered important. We do not know how good we have it till we see it getting lost :( It austrumi has nvidia drivers and amd drivers too, and you can choose opensource x drivers too! But porteus is 127.0.0.1 and hate to make propaganda against it :( :bad: Best Regards to all! BTW Blaze lxqt desktop looks very good and solid :) Whatever desktop, whatever apps, devel module, printing module and Slackware base porteus shall live on! :wall:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#132 by brokenman » 27 Nov 2015, 02:27

but the system is missing many things
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by things. If you mean apps, then yes it is. I see no point adding anything until the system is stable. I built manjaro openrc a few days back and am playing on it now. It is 175Mb with xfce4 desktop and seems very stable. There is room here to add many apps.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#133 by Tonio » 27 Nov 2015, 02:38

brokenman wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by things. If you mean apps, then yes it is. I see no point adding anything until the system is stable. I built manjaro openrc a few days back and am playing on it now. It is 175Mb with xfce4 desktop and seems very stable. There is room here to add many apps.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. It has no firefox/palemoon/? other web browser to surf the web, no office no printing just plain. It booted, took longer than normal porteus(does not matter if it takes longer to boot), It does not make feel at 127.0.0.1(/home) as I do with normal porteus . System is foreign, do not know pacman :unknown: :cry: nor want to find out about it :( Sorry! :o :sorry: I hope you understand. I have grown attached to slackbuilds, I have used src2pkg as well, used your script and vonbiber's script to create modules and now, I have to learn a new system :( :wink: I apologize again, it nemesis seems to work ok, got ip address but lacks apps and I guess it is a proof of concept that it will work, but something does not feel right with it :crazy: :shock: The manjaro openrc is newer than the nemesis one that you built? Maybe I need to test it and compare it to the other one? Maybe it will work and feel better? :wink:

tmsg
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: arch, mx, porteus

Post#134 by tmsg » 27 Nov 2015, 10:40

brokenman wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by things. If you mean apps, then yes it is. I see no point adding anything until the system is stable.
Actually, it is debatable whether even a stable OS (let's remember here that OS stands for Operating System and not for Giant Collection of Apps) needs a big amount of pre-installed apps anyway. For me, one of the great attractions of Porteus is that it comes almost bare-bones (indeed, for my taste there's already too much "app stuff" in there). I'd rather start with a small, fast core under my complete control and add whatever I need. If I want big, fully-featured distros with all the bells and whistles I know where to find them.

Two things which would make such as a small system a good base are a) a well functioning and well stocked repository of modules/apps/packages and b) a complete development package so that I can compile stuff from source.

Another thing that helps is a friendly community: one reason I dumped Arch was their way of dealing with perfectly valid newbie requests (not only mine) and their almost religious fervour re the Arch way. I want to achieve certain goals, that is the reason why I use computers. The more the software I'm using helps me with reaching my goals the better. Purely pragmatic, some might even say opportunistic. But questions of ideology do not play a big part in my thinking about software.

IMHO, YMMV etc.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#135 by Bogomips » 27 Nov 2015, 11:39

tmsg wrote:Actually, it is debatable whether even a stable OS (let's remember here that OS stands for Operating System and not for Giant Collection of Apps) needs a big amount of pre-installed apps anyway. For me, one of the great attractions of Porteus is that it comes almost bare-bones (indeed, for my taste there's already too much "app stuff" in there).
IMHO we are talking distro here and not os. Distro needs sufficient apps preinstalled for one to give it a second look. On first coming to Porteus KDE, text editor was Kwrite, which I could make do with until I could replace it with Kate. As for browsers, there was Firefox, temporised with, then replaced with SeaMonkey, and finally with PaleMoon. As a user one just needs sufficient apps available in order to carry out one's daily tasks, and finding more later on came as a pleasant surprise, to wit the iso file editor. :good:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB