Official Package Manager

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Official Package Manager

Post#76 by brokenman » 14 Nov 2011, 20:51

Rewriting a new PPM now with nicer gui and enhanced dep resolution, but still in early stages. Will send directly to you when ready for testing ... but it may be some time.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#77 by Falcony » 23 Nov 2011, 07:49

thanks much, tested right now

on rc2 of course.

GUI starts ok, but from command line it do not work...

Could you be so kind to allow ppm start from bash command line?

I have no direct internet connection and previosly dante socksify application like this

socksify bash

ppm3
dante config is set up to socksify application with socks server

it worked fine

but now I see errors:
./ppm3
pth:/root/Desktop
/usr/lib/libppm3: line 33: gtkdialog: command not found
./ppm3: line 68: gtkdialog: command not found
initial_setup MODIR:PORTEUS:
Starting refresh_local_file_list now...
MODIR:PORTEUS:
ls: cannot access PORTEUS:: No such file or catalog
grep: /tmp/ppm/modstorage-libs.res: No such file or catalog
ls: cannot access PORTEUS:: No such file or catalog
Starting check_internet_connection now...
CHECKNET:1
./ppm3: line 2471: gtkdialog: command not found
/usr/lib/libppm3: line 1651: kill: (3798) - No such process
--2011-11-23 11:28:29-- http://ponce.cc/porteus/i486/modules/ppmversion
Распознаётся ponce.cc (ponce.cc)... 46.105.102.104
Устанавливается соединение с ponce.cc (ponce.cc)|46.105.102.104|:80... соединение установлено.
Запрос HTTP послан, ожидается ответ... 200 OK
Длина: 29 [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `ppmversion'

100%[======================================>] 29 --.-K/s в 0s

2011-11-23 11:28:29 (860 KB/s) - `ppmversion' saved [29/29]

grep: ppmversion:No such file or catalog
PPMREMVER:
grep: ppmversion: No such file or catalog
PPMDBASEREM:
./ppm3: line 2382: [: 110704: unary operator expected
./ppm3: line 2383: [: 110614: unary operator expected

ls -al ppm*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 21087 Ноя 22 13:47 ppm3*
root@fidoslax:/opt/porteus-scripts# uname -a
Linux fidoslax 3.1.1-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 21 10:47:37 UTC 2011 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
you see it download one file from repo but do not work

Is it possible to allow to start from bash? I think It more simple to fix command lint starting then adding proxy setting?
or - add proxy settings to ppm - http, socks, etc?

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#78 by Hamza » 23 Nov 2011, 11:01

@Falcony,
Did you used the xzm module ?
The PPM3 uses many files as support like the docs. It will not works correctly if you uses only the script inside the /opt/porteus-scripts/.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#79 by brokenman » 23 Nov 2011, 12:24

Falcony please make sure you have most recent file from testing folder. You can start from CLI with absolute path.

sh /opt/porteus-scripts/ppm3

I have left full debugging messages to STDOUT so the console will be rather messy for you as ppm3 runs. Once started go directly to preferences and set your internet to no autocheck. Let me know how it goes.

Be sure you are in fresh mode as this will over write exiting porteus-package-manager files. At the moment this is only a sneek peek i sent to selected few so please do not post bug reports here. There are a few other bugs, but i just pushed it out to give you guys a look at what is coming.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#80 by Falcony » 24 Nov 2011, 06:01

Sorry for trubling you with stuipid questions!

my error. If I start PPM via socksify from command line not as ppm3 but
socksify bash

porteus-package-manager
it start and connect ok, all menu appeard well

the bugs i found

1. text message shows word by line - looks not well. Not really bug but not good looking

see printscreen

http://falcony.googlecode.com/files/5.jpg

2. In bash i see some error
: line 397: /tmp/ppmperm/local-libs.txt: No such file or catalog
porteus-package-manager: line 398: /tmp/ppmperm/local-libs.txt: No such file or catalog
porteus-package-manager: line 398: /tmp/ppmperm/local-libs.txt: No such file or catalog
it appears very quickly PC is loading, it seems some kind enternal loop cycle

And MAIN!!!

I cannot find how to search and download modules from FIDOSlax repo!

this is most IMPORTANT for me - to nice GUI to repo

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#81 by brokenman » 24 Nov 2011, 13:01

This is the current v1.1 PPM that you are seeing and not the development edition you asked for. The latest is in the testing folder on the server and must be started with a full path to /opt/porteus-scripts/ppm3.

From memory i removed the Fidoslax from the version when you changed the format of your modules. This broke the functionality. I will put fidoslax in the next version again so you can use.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#82 by Falcony » 24 Nov 2011, 13:13

From memory i removed the Fidoslax from the version when you changed the format of your modules. This broke the functionality. I will put fidoslax in the next version again so you can use.
Format of module not changed - it has the same scructure as before
http://code.google.com/p/fidoslax/wiki/ ... XZMmodules

Changed compression and extention (lzm to xzm) and version - 0.1.3 to 0.1.5

Anyway - lzm it is past or even deep past, all modules builded over old version of porteus which you remember was slax remix L)

No need to use lzm modules - old and much less numbers of modules - now fresh xzm more then twice bigger repo - is more then 2400 ready modules builded over porteus 1.0. I leave old lzm only for supporting old version fidoslax and will be removed soon

please do not stick to old lzm. This is waste of time

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#83 by brokenman » 24 Nov 2011, 13:33

OK just checked and i also get the bad text formatting in 'changes window' ... thanks.

Sorry for confusion. I originally removed Fidoslax ... but then put it back for the current version. You are right, the format stayed the same, just the extensions changed. So many repos i am looking at i get confused.

The fido option is under 'module conversion tools' in the main menu and then at the bottom. Tested downloading and converting and it seems to work, but sometimes a window saying "Relasing fido from cage" stays opened until entire process has ended. This is a bug.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#84 by Falcony » 25 Nov 2011, 04:41

The fido option is under 'module conversion tools' in the main menu and then at the bottom.
Thanks for explanation. I''ll check

IMHO, it have to be out of 'module conversion tools' menu as no special conversion required - have to be acitvated module itself and all deps. modules which is in /var/cache/fidoslax/nameofmodule/DEPDENDS

If, of course you ar not transform fidoslax xzm module to porteus ppm xzm module standard(this i do not know)
Tested downloading and converting and it seems to work, but sometimes a window saying "Relasing fido from cage" stays opened until entire process has ended. This is a bug.
ok, understand

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#85 by brokenman » 25 Nov 2011, 12:48

IMHO, it have to be out of 'module conversion tools' menu as no special conversion required - have to be activated module itself and all deps. modules which is in /var/cache/fidoslax/nameofmodule/DEPDENDS
All modules that don't contain the /var/porteus/file.info need to be unpacked and modifiesd. The /var/log/packages file is also modified. Any module that requires this modification is in 'convert' section.

Porteus ignores the /var/cache/fidoslax/nameofmodule/DEPDENDS file and resolves dependencies on it's own. In this way i can use the same resolve method for any package from any distro, regardless if the maintainer drops support.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#86 by Falcony » 14 Dec 2011, 06:47

Hi, brokenman

My private message is in Outbox and do not sending...
I do not know why it do not apiaring it Sent

So I think it is not so private if I answer you here
Hi Falcony ... you've been busy !!!!! So many files on your google code repo. I am starting to integrate it into the package manager now and i have a few questions.
Now I am going to begin fill in 64-bit repo

http://code.google.com/p/fidoslax-64/downloads/list

I added 3 fresh xzm modules to this site - so you coud test and integrate to ppm

rsync--3.0.9--0.1.4.xzm
curl--7.23.1--0.1.4.xzm
unrar--4.1.3--0.1.4.xzm

Currently I update FIDOSlax automatic build tools for 64-bit and when I finish I begin to mass build and upload modules for Porteus 64-bit
Do you know of a way to get a complete list of all googlecode files without using lynx?
May be with python. Now I am using python script to upload
see
http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/rietveld.html

script called upload.py

may be there is already working tool for getting list of files but i do not found(deeply not search)
I see two solutions to integrating your repo into PPM.

1) I can use lynx on the client computer to download a list (like your xzm-tools) but this could take a long time for the user (more than 3500 modules you have).

2) I can create a list of the files on your repo and keep them in a text file on our server that users can download. This would only take 3 seconds for the user.

What do you think?
Of course it is up to you. How you think better - just do it L)

Currently I save list to /tmp/ at first run any of xzm utilines - next run takes no time at all - for text reboot L)
If you like i can make the FIDOSlax part of the PPM separate to everything else so that you can install it into FIDOSlax as the FIDOSlax package manager. It won't have all the Porteus stuff ... just your modules. This shouldn't be too hard to do.
I planning to go to you PPM format of modules - but it won't be soon may be next ver of porteus - 2.0

It would be nice from you - if it not take much time from you.

It would be nice do not leave all other Porteus staff(to allow users get modules from other sources) but make FIDOSlax modules as default repos

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#87 by brokenman » 14 Dec 2011, 15:24

Thanks. I received your message OK. It will sit in your 'outbox' until i read it, then it is removed.

Last night i started working on the FIDOSlax part of PPM and have decided to use a script to generate a list of all the files on your server. It will be called FIDO.TXT and will live in the modules folder on our repo. When users try to search for a fidoslax module it will download this file (under 80Kb compressed) and get information from it. I sent you the script that generates the file list with file|description|size. takes 24s to run.

I didn't realize you were preparing for 64bit modules but i don't think it will be a problem. My method means i just need to create a 64bit FIDO.TXT for the 64bit server and all should work nicely.

I have to say i am impressed with the amount of modules you have there already ... however my faith in google services is not strong. They are well known for implementing something ... and then pulling it the following year. I have a long list of examples of functions they implemented and then removed. For this reason we will stay with ponce's server for main repo and i will script something to download and convert/upload your modules. It's a pity we didn't work more closely earlier to maintain the same format of modules.

At some stage i plan on implementing a similar thing to your xzm-tools for command line and will borrow heavily from your code.

Falcony
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#88 by Falcony » 15 Dec 2011, 05:18

Last night i started working on the FIDOSlax part of PPM and have decided to use a script to generate a list of all the files on your server. It will be called FIDO.TXT and will live in the modules folder on our repo. When users try to search for a fidoslax module it will download this file (under 80Kb compressed) and get information from it. I sent you the script that generates the file list with file|description|size. takes 24s to run.

I didn't realize you were preparing for 64bit modules but i don't think it will be a problem. My method means i just need to create a 64bit FIDO.TXT for the 64bit server and all should work nicely.
Ok. Do it as you like.

I have to say i am impressed with the amount of modules you have there already ...
This is simple - run bulk build script - it build fresh modules
This was build automatically and upload to googlcode.

bulk build is idea which i borrowed from NetBSD project

They use it for long time to update pkgsrc bibary packages in repository avery night and to new NetBSD realease

But porting crux ports rules, slackbuild scripts and Arch ABS for porteus - that is takes much time
however my faith in google services is not strong.
I have no reliable hosting and do not want to pay for it.
For playing with FIDOSlax googlecode is good - even with all bad things it have L)
At some stage i plan on implementing a similar thing to your xzm-tools for command line and will borrow heavily from your code.
Surely borrow. That main idea GPL - to make all work together stronge than separate ones.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#89 by brokenman » 15 Dec 2011, 13:08

Many of your packages say they were built from Arch sources ... can you tell me how you do this? Is there an FTP repository that they use or do you download and build them manually?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#90 by fanthom » 15 Dec 2011, 15:24

i would be careful with Arch packages (or coming from any other distro) as for example services (pureftpd, squid, apache, etc..) may be started in different way than slackware (not through /etc/rc.d scripts). also - environment variables may be kept in different places, as far as i know arch does not use /lib64 (just /lib) for x86_64, etc...
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.