[SOLVED] Why not provide update files with original ISO's?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
claude
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: XFCE 3.1

[SOLVED] Why not provide update files with original ISO's?

Post#1 by claude » 13 Jun 2015, 16:09

Please see this thread as a reference: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4699

After downloading XFCE v. 3.1 I realized that a dependency for galculator was missing from the system.
I had downloaded from http://dl.porteus.org/i486/current/ and the above mentioned library was completely missing from the system. I solved the problem immediately upon discovery by copying the same library from Porteus 3.0.
While being aware of the update function of Porteus, I generally boot from cdrom with no magic folders (for security reasons), so unfortunately any changes I bring to my system must be done manually.
I would have thought that whatever improvements were made to any version of Porteus, they would have been made available in an update file for each version and made downloadable along with the original ISO of it at the archive. Why not doing so for the benefit of those who, for the same reason as I do, opt to not use the update function? I think it would make much sense in order to have an always current archive and also to be able to provide complete older versions as time goes by. Just a thought.
Last edited by claude on 14 Jun 2015, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Why not provide update files along with original ISO's?

Post#2 by fanthom » 13 Jun 2015, 19:51

not many users burn porteus on optical media nowadays.
you could download updates manually from http://dl.porteus.org/i486/testing/updates/ -> run make-iso.sh script -> burn new porteus.iso on a CD
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

claude
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: XFCE 3.1

Post#3 by claude » 14 Jun 2015, 01:11

fanthom wrote:not many users burn porteus on optical media nowadays.
you could download updates manually from http://dl.porteus.org/i486/testing/updates/ -> run make-iso.sh script -> burn new porteus.iso on a CD
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for (also pointed out today by another user in my other thread).

Well, one of the reasons I don't like using MS Windows (and use Porteus instead) is that I like to have control over what goes into my computer.
When you do automatic upgrades, you do not know exactly what changes are being made to your system. Wouldn't you want to know?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: [SOLVED] Why not provide update files with original ISO'

Post#4 by fanthom » 14 Jun 2015, 09:50

you probably missed the changelog which is posted in the same directory and available also through the updater.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#5 by Bogomips » 14 Jun 2015, 15:45

fanthom wrote:run make-iso.sh script -> burn new porteus.iso on a CD

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ whereis make-iso.sh
make-iso:
guest@porteus:~$ sh make-iso.sh
sh: make-iso.sh: No such file or directory
Update

Found it:

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ ls -lh /mnt/sdxy/porteus/make_iso.sh 
-r-xr-xr-x 1 guest guest 1015 Jul  6  2013 /mnt/sdxy/porteus/make_iso.sh*
Edit 15-6-15 Found it much easier to make the changes and create the iso at one go, using the iso editor gui provided by kde.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB