Module Changing Script

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Module Changing Script

Post#1 by Rava » 03 Jan 2015, 04:32

Since the newest finale version is out, I am at my old issue one again: I have to tweak some of the main modules, the most changes are usuall in xfce module.

Now I think about creating a kind of generic script that uses parameters for doing the work by itself, as in:

* What program of the module should be removed
* What program (or programs) should be added
* There can be more tweaks, e.g. stripping locales from programs can slim down a module quite well, especially when it's a larger, menu heavy program.

Of course using such script means that when a user runs into issues (s)he should revert to the original modules first prior posting bug messages, unless it is in the very thread about this module changing script.

I already got told that the most clean way of removing and adding programs to a module is by telling the system to use the extracted module directory as "root", and removing or adding the programs there.

What I have to do with xfce module would be this:
removing the standard image viewer (currently that's GPicView 0.2.4)
Install newest viewnior instead
Also add geany to the xfce module.

The part with stripping unneeded locales would come when I have the time, but the above is what I have to do every time I switch to a new Porteus version, and it's bothersome to sit for hours doing the stuff manually every time. As you coders know very well, it first takes time to create and debug a script, but when it's done then the script saves time since it does the work almost by itself... :D

Anyhow, are there folks interested in that script? I sure could use some ideas and feedback while developing it, and I know that some of you experts already have one or more-liners at hand that do most of what I want manually....

(I am quite busy with RL work load, but I try to work on it as much as I manage)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Module Changing Script

Post#2 by fanthom » 03 Jan 2015, 08:25

i would create 009-my_own_stuff.xzm with geany/viewnior and do not worry about gpicview. or maybe add this to 009/etc/rc.d/rc.local:

Code: Select all

rm /usr/share/applications/gpic*
update-desktop-database
that should sort it.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Rava » 03 Jan 2015, 19:23

fanthom wrote:i would create 009-my_own_stuff.xzm with geany/viewnior and do not worry about gpicview. or maybe add this to 009/etc/rc.d/rc.local:
rm /usr/share/applications/gpic*
update-desktop-database

that should sort it.
Me thinks that's the coder in me, I want to have my system optimized, since on some machines I run out of memory after some days of suspend and awakening cycles. Seems how I use the system, XFCe and 3,5GB of RAM on a multi core system is not enough. :P

And by gimp and in the thread I posted about that it's amazing how much smaller some modules can get when you remove all but the really wanted locales. Of course only true for such a menu and settings boxes heavy program like gimp...

I not recall how well that when when I did the same on, say, Inkscape.

Do you think I should not post such script in the open, since when malfunctioning it might trigger some noobs to complain via forum without first checking if the original modules only worked just fine... :x
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 05 Jan 2015, 13:18

Do you think I should not post such script in the open, since when malfunctioning it might trigger some noobs to complain via forum without first checking if the original modules only worked just fine...
you may do it but please mark clearly that it's for experienced users only

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 05 Jan 2015, 22:40

^

Sure will do, I start the Betreff / Thread title by saying so and also will put in the first line in Bold and Italic saying so again...

Do you know how to remove or install a program using a chosen folder, e.g. /tmp/003-xfce-rava+viewnior+mtpaint+geany as system root?

BTW, why is mtpaint no longer included. Me thinks a small SM-Witless Paint alike program is used by many folks, not just us coding geeks...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 06 Jan 2015, 12:03

Do you know how to remove or install a program using a chosen folder, e.g. /tmp/003-xfce-rava+viewnior+mtpaint+geany as system root?
please run 'man installpkg'

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 06 Jan 2015, 14:16

fanthom wrote:please run 'man installpkg'
Okay, that means, I have to convert every xzm into a txz first?

How do I do that? Me thinks converting into a dir since there is no xzm2txz ?

Then, me thinks I go into the dir, say that it's
/tmp/020-geany-1.23.1-x86_64
and run makepkg in there?

From man page:

Code: Select all

makepkg  creates a new Slackware compatible package.  The package is constructed using the contents
       of the current directory and all subdirectories.[...]
Cheers!
Yours Rava